Having trouble eating enough Protein

Options
ExRelaySprinter
ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
edited September 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I was at maintenance but i've decided to slowly lose 3-4 pounds, so i'm only eating 1600/1700 cals a day as opposed to my usual 2000 cals (TDEE).
The thing is, i'd like to up my Protein but find it very hard on this amount of calories.
I don't drink protein shakes and i don't eat eggs or cottage cheese.

When i could eat 2000 cals, i had no problem with adding an extra Pork chop or chicken breast to my meals. But now, what do i do?
How can i add more Protein without adding too many calories?
I don't really want to cut down on Carbs, because that's what keeps me full (sadly, i'm one of those people who does not get full on Protein).

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Well, you have yourself boxed in there. You are going to have to sacrifice something. You need a pure protein supplement, which most simply would be a whey protein powder or egg whites. You could for instance, add either one to your oatmeal in the morning.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you currently eating and how much are you trying to eat?

Lean meats, fish, dairy, tofu, beans, legumes all have protein. Most reasonable protein goals can easily be reached within 1600-1700 calories, no problem.

It could be that your protein goal is unrealistically high. Beyond a certain point, there's really no benefit to your body.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My go to for lean protein is shrimp. Also I'll put a can of tuna in my salad (or just eat it with lemon juice and dill...or with balsamic vinegar) those 2 seem to give me the most protein for the least amount of calories.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    edited September 2015
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    How much protein are you currently eating and how much are you trying to eat?
    I'm currently eating about 90-95g, but want to up it to 125-130g.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    edited September 2015
    Options
    klrenn wrote: »
    My go to for lean protein is shrimp.
    Pretty much eat Tuna every day but i totally forgot about Prawns actually (that's the UK version of Shrimp).
    Thanks babe.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    you are gonna have to cut back on another macro to make room for protein. cut down on alcohol, carbs, or fat.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    Options
    I've had a look at what i eat and i normally have fruit for breakfast (which is pretty much zero Protein).
    So what i'll do is replace the fruit with a Protein based meal.
    Maybe Bacon on Toast or something.
    And i'll definitely be adding Prawns (Shrimp) to my Meals.
    Hopefully that'll bump it up.
  • segacs
    Options
    I've had a look at what i eat and i normally have fruit for breakfast (which is pretty much zero Protein). So what i'll do is replace the fruit with a Protein based meal. Maybe Bacon on Toast or something.

Replacing fruit with bacon might sound tasty, but probably isn't going to improve the nutritional value of your day. I mean, if you want to eat bacon, eat bacon. Just don't pretend that it's a health-related decision.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I was at maintenance but i've decided to slowly lose 3-4 pounds, so i'm only eating 1600/1700 cals a day as opposed to my usual 2000 cals (TDEE).
    The thing is, i'd like to up my Protein but find it very hard on this amount of calories.

When i could eat 2000 cals, i had no problem with adding an extra Pork chop or chicken breast to my meals. But now, what do i do?
    I don't really want to cut down on Carbs, because that's what keeps me full (sadly, i'm one of those people who does not get full on Protein).

You could also exercise to 'add calories'; like 40 minute of walking may equal a m-a-h-i burger of 140 calories and 19 grams of Protein. Maybe. Just spitballing.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Do you like greek yogurt? A cup of the full fat greek yogurt has over 20g of protein for 200 calories. I eat it most mornings.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    turkey slices
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I mix a scoop of my protein powder with plain greek yogurt for a protein double whammy! Yeah, it is some extra calories but as others have said, something has got to give a little and it shouldn't be the nutrition fruit you have for breakfast.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    Protein bars, almonds or other nuts, legumes are good options.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    edited September 2015
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

You could also exercise to 'add calories'; like 40 minute of walking may equal a m-a-h-i burger of 140 calories and 19 grams of Protein. Maybe. Just spitballing.

My TDEE at the moment is only 1600/1700 (as i'm trying to lose) and it does include 30-40 mins of exercise.
    I Run and do weight training 3 days each per week, so i do workout 6 days a week already.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    Options
    I think i'll try and eat some form of Protein at breakfast PLUS have some Fruit too.
    I'll probably start eating more Fish/Seafood as well.
    I'm sure i'll get it sorted.
    Thanks for all your advice Guys. :)
  • ExRelaySprinter
    edited September 2015
    Options

Double Post

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

My TDEE at the moment is only 1600/1700 (as i'm trying to lose) and it does include 30-40 mins of exercise.
    I Run and do weight training 3 days each per week, so i do workout 6 days a week already.

Just want to point out that that is not your TDEE.
    It could be clasified as TDEE -20%. Your TDEE won't change while on a diet if your activity doesn't change. TDEE is energy expenditure, the amount of calories to maintain. Changing your calorie intake does not change your TDEE ;)

Also, good luck. I also struggle eating enough protein.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »

It could be clasified as TDEE -20%. Your TDEE won't change while on a diet if your activity doesn't change. TDEE is energy expenditure, the amount of calories to maintain. Changing your calorie intake does not change your TDEE ;)

Also, good luck. I also struggle eating enough protein.

Oh right! Oops. Lol
    Yes, TDEE -20%. ;)
  • segacs
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »

For what it's worth, just to clarify: Your TDEE *does* change while you're on a diet, assuming that diet is successful. If you lose weight but keep all else consistent (activity level, etc.) then your TDEE will decrease as your weight does. It takes less energy to move a smaller body than to move a bigger one.

Also, TDEE isn't a fixed number. It's a range. You move a different amount each day, so your TDEE is a different number each day. What you're looking for when you "calculate" TDEE is an average or a range.

But it's true that changing your calorie intake does not, in itself, change your TDEE. :)