Did you lose weight training for a half marathon?

Options
So, I know a lot of people say "don't train for a half marathon/marathon to lose weight." Mostly because it makes you so hungry that most people actually end up eating more and gaining weight.

However, has anyone been successful at losing weight while training for this? I know it's CICO, and I would think that as long as you accurately tracked your calories, you should still lose weight. But did anyone find that this type of training just made you too hungry to stick to your calories?

For the record, I'm thinking about maybe doing a half in March, but I'm early into my weight loss (lost 5 lbs, still have 20 lbs to go), and I don't want to do anything that would undermine my weight loss. So I'm wondering if I should stick to shorter distances to still get my exercise in and wait to do a half after I get closer to my goal, or if I should go ahead and do it.

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have lost about 2lbs whilst training for a half, but that's being in maintenance and without trying. Then again the day-after-long-run-day hunger is a force to be reckoned with. You need to be fuelling yourself properly for training too, so trying to maintain anything beyond a tiny deficit I would imagine to be very challenging.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    During the early part of the training cycle you probably could but when you're doing those 2 hrs Sunday runs you need fuel (doesn't mean you'll gain...)

If you follow pretty much any training plan you'll find the first few weeks aren't too taxing. What kind of distances are you running now?
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    unckate7 wrote: »
    So, I know a lot of people say "don't train for a half marathon/marathon to lose weight." Mostly because it makes you so hungry that most people actually end up eating more and gaining weight.

Not my experience at all.

In fact I find the half marathon is a distance that I can run regularly without real disruption to how I feel or eat. A marathon is a different animal, but one doesn't run marathon distances in training so you don't need to plan for the outliers. If your runs are regularly under 2.5 hours you likely won't ever run into the "bonk" resulting from glycogen depletion (which may drive some to over-eat). Half or all of a protein bar at 1 hour into a long run will probably forestall that feeling if you are on the edge. Most of your training runs for the half will be well short of 21.1km.

I started my weight loss program one year ago at 105 pounds over ideal weight. I started running, just 1km then, growing to 5km and 7km by Christmas. Not a ton of running - just 2 or 3 days most weeks, totaling 250km over those four months. I didn't track calories but did make some common sense eating changes. I lost 30 pounds over that period. That Christmas/New Years season was the first in over a decade where I did not gain weight. Yes, CICO matters most but going from sedentary to more active matters a great deal too.

Fast forward, I continued to ramp up my monthly mileage and goals and from January to July lost another 50 pounds and my running went to 200 - 280km monthly. I only started tracking calories in April and if anything my consumption went down a little more.

I run for fitness and because I enjoy it and enjoy challenging myself. The cardiopulmonary benefits and changes in all my health markers are, although fully expected, nothing short of remarkable. The weight loss was also expected but that really has everything to do with managing intake vs energy consumption. Frankly... it's mostly been easy for me. Truly. If I had to do it over again I would not change a thing except maybe to set my sights higher, earlier.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Several years ago I dropped weight while training for a half. It was a fine line to find my sweet spot to eat enough to have energy, but still lose. However when I stepped up to marathon training, especially the high mileage weeks, I was stuffing down ice cream & trail mix nightly to keep from losing too much weight.
  • unckate7
    unckate7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    During the early part of the training cycle you probably could but when you're doing those 2 hrs Sunday runs you need fuel (doesn't mean you'll gain...)

If you follow pretty much any training plan you'll find the first few weeks aren't too taxing. What kind of distances are you running now?

I'm about at the 5k distance right now. I've run on and off for a few years (the past 1.5 years it's been more "off"), so I'm just getting back into it. The longest race I've ever done though was a 10-miler, but I was pretty much at my good weight at that point and not trying to actively lose.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I find I can lose weight while training if I make a small amount of effort and log everything. Otherwise I don't lose weight because, let's face it, I'm quite greedy. But there's no reason you can't do it and if you're just increasing your mileage a little you're not going to be that much hungrier. Eat plenty of protein and that should keep you feeling satisfied.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    You can lose while training for a half. Less likely for a full. It looks like I lost about 5 lbs. training for my first half (I was about 25 lbs. overweight). For the second, it looks like I fluctuated within a few pounds (about 15 lbs. overweight at the time). Pretty much maintained for the last two.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

In fact I find the half marathon is a distance that I can run regularly without real disruption to how I feel or eat.

Yep yep.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes. I did earlier this year. From mid January to the end of May when I ran the race I lost over 35 pounds. Since then I ran a second HM and I'm down another 15+ pounds (I'm near my ideal weight now).

The only advice I can give is when your long runs start increasing (the last 3 weeks or so) eat at maintenance if you can (I found it hard to get enough calories). You should do this so you have the energy to finish the long runs and run the race.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

In fact I find the half marathon is a distance that I can run regularly without real disruption to how I feel or eat.

Agreed 100%. I am not training for anything longer than one leg of a full marathon in November but I still run 10 miles on the the weekend. My weekend easy "long" run is now nearly a HM.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I can lose weight while training, but its not easy.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I can lose weight while training, but its not easy.

@SuggaD I blame all the tasty, tasty food. It's not your fault.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    you'll be fine, if you go for long runs you will have plenty of calories for both losing and refuel
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I started training for a 100k back in March of this year, the 100k was 12th of September. I Lost 24lbs during my training. Ate at a deficit and ate back 75%-80% of my exercise calories when I wanted.
    On my very long runs I ate but 100% of calories. I tracked my calorie burn using a HRM.
  • monicarungood
    monicarungood Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Several years ago I dropped weight while training for a half. It was a fine line to find my sweet spot to eat enough to have energy, but still lose. However when I stepped up to marathon training, especially the high mileage weeks, I was stuffing down ice cream & trail mix nightly to keep from losing too much weight.

I would say this is similar to my experience. I didn't struggle too much to lose weight while training for halfs, but when I tried a full I wanted to eat all of the things and unlike this poster I probably gained a few pounds in the process.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 10k program right now and I've been losing weight. I eat about half the calories back and try to make sure my eating is nutrient rich most days.