Garmin vivio smart

Options
hi I was thinking of buying the garmin vivosmart and wondering if anyone had one and thought it would be a good investment thanks!

Replies

• angusrgray
    angusrgray Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I use the Vivosmart and really like it. It works, it is discreet on the wrist and has some neat features like notifications and music control, as well as being able to work with speed sensors and heart rate monitors.

A smartphone is essential to get at the data and sync with MFP.

However, trackers like fitbit, misfit etc etc also do a worthy job. The real reason I went for the Garmin over the rest is because I use a Garmin Edge cycling computer and can combine data from both devices and MFP into one dashboard.

It should be noted that any wrist based trackers are not completely accurate, and as long as you bear this in mind and look for direction rather than complete accuracy (i.e. not eat back all active calories from tracker, assuming calorie loss is the goal) then all is good.

If your exercise regime is heavily cardio based then something with an integrated heart rate monitor is nice, something like the Fitbit surge or charge HR (the garmin requires a separate purchase of a heart rate strap). If you are a swimmer, then Garmin and Misfit have devices that will track strokes and pool laps.If you are a cyclist then a dedicated cycling computer is the way to go. If you are a runner, then the Garmin forerunner series is good. For multi sport, the garmin vivoactive or misfit shine offer tracking across different activities. If you just need a step counter then there are a multitude of inexpensive devices.

• spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I also have one and enjoy it as a tool. I didn't bother with a HRM because I mostly wanted to have a rough idea of calorie expenditures. As Angusgray posted, it is not completely accurate, but I am not an elite athlete, so I do not need high precision. My objectives are to maintain my weight (or maybe lose 3-5 lbs, but very slowly), work out every day, count my calories, be active on a daily basis even though I have a sedentary job and get more sleep. The Vivosmart helps me with all of those objectives. If finances are a concern, it is not necessary and you can manage with MPF and a few other free apps, however, I enjoy this little toy and I feel pretty bad-*kitten* wearing it.