Training myself to like healthy food?

Options
2»

Replies

• missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are a supertaster? I am and have always been a picky eater. Here is a fascinating article on dealing with pickiness and genetics.

smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/why-are-you-picky-eater-blame-genes-brains-and-breast-milk-180953456/?no-ist

However, the article does say that "Even at later ages, repeated positive experiences can make certain foods more palatable, especially when combined with peer or social influences." I have personally overcome a lot of my food dislikes by just trying things over and over again.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm in the camp of eat what you like just moderate portions. Unless you're tracking every vitamin and mineral in all your foods, or have a medical diagnosis, you're likely getting enough. If you want to try new fruits/veggies, how do you feel about dried foods? There are many fruits I won't eat raw that I will eat dried. Many veggies I don't like raw/cooked, I will eat in chip form (veggie chips and Beanitos).
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I don't think it's necessary to force yourself to like healthy foods - there are going to be foods you simply don't enjoy. For me, I don't like fruit - AT ALL. The only fruit I can handle are apples and bananas, every thing else is a huge no-no. I also dislike quite a lot of veg. I don't force myself to eat them, I just find what I DO like and eat that! As long as I'm eating at a calorie deficit, It doesn't impact my weight loss at all. I would suggest experimenting with food you haven't actually tried before - are there any fruits or vegetables you have never ever eaten? Give them a go, you might surprise yourself! Otherwise, don't worry about WHAT you are eating - focus on the quantity :)
  • Cheryl_onmyweighdown
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to stick to the ones I like and add some tolerable ones too and add a new one each week to try a few different ways to see if we like it... Recently we found out my husband likes rutabaga fries in the oven... I can tolerate them as part of my dinner but I just wouldn't crave them. Since my appetite isn't great I find it hard to eat anything that isn't very appealing (which until recently is everything that you should only eat in moderation - cake, fried foods, white bread toasted with extra butter... You get the idea?) so I'll use your tips to get me through this week where I've just got back on the wagon :)