One Week In: Motivation and Friends

Hello all. First time using MFP, and I have to admit, I'm sad I've never used it in the past. The user interface is pretty spectacular and easy to use, and the food database is phenomenal. I've used other 'calorie counter' websites and it seems like this is the clear leader.

I am a 36 year old married father of two young kids (ages3 and 1). I have always been a 'big' guy, and have done all sorts of 'yo-yo'ing' in my weight since college. I'm back now to my heaviest which has caused me to take a good hard look at myself. My son recently said "I want to be big and strong like daddy" which, at first glance, would be a welcome thing. But while he said that, he forced out his gut and slapped his belly. That was a slap in the face, God bless the honesty of children.

I'm currently a week into my journey and my main goal is to log EVERYTHING I eat and continue to work out. Right now, for me, it's about accountability and understanding my eating habits. I understand I have a love/hate relationship with sugar. I love sugar, but I hate what it does to my body. I'm reducing my sugar/carb intake while continuing with my workout regiment. So far I'm down close to 2lbs in a week, so I guess it's working. But I'll need help with motivation and staying on track. Care to help a father out?! :)

Replies

• Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Welcome to MFP! You're in the right place. Logging everything & being honest with yourself is the first & crucial step. After that, it's Calories In, Calories Out. If CI<CO, you'll lose weight.
  • dozenmonkeyz
    dozenmonkeyz Posts: 150 Member
    Stick with it! You're not alone - there's a lot of us out there facing the struggle - but you're on the right track.
  • T3ejayT73
    T3ejayT73 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi, happy to support you. Weightloss is an incredible journey, who knows what you will learn along the way. Stay positive, you will do this.
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    DasGootz wrote: »
    My son recently said "I want to be big and strong like daddy" which, at first glance, would be a welcome thing. But while he said that, he forced out his gut and slapped his belly. That was a slap in the face, God bless the honesty of children.

:)

When choosing a school for your child, look very closely at their nutrition plan for lunch and their nutrition education. Being aware is the first step. There is a great deal of support and information on this site. I wish you well in your journey.

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    You sound as though you have the right attitude for this! :)
    Stay positive and you will DEFINITELY succeed in reaching your goals. Wishing you the best of luck!