Hitting the 10,000 steps goal

Hi all!
So I'm back on fitnesspal and absolutely love all the new changes. Although, it's not an excuse, I'm in graduate school and it's difficult for me to hit the 10,000 steps daily with the tremendous about of studying and sitting we have to do at lecture. Every day, I am sure to run about 1.3-1.5 miles in the morning but it still doesn't suffice. Any suggestions or tips on what to do? Thanks!

Replies

• Ronin_HFX
    Ronin_HFX Posts: 13 Member
    I know it can hard as I travel a lot for work so I tend to be sitting at a client site, sitting in the car while I drive to and from the cities etc. You need to look for those opportunities to incorporate it as well. Park in a parking garage on the 3rd floor? Then take the stairs, don't take the elevator - those type of things. Walk to the store for milk or don't do those chores while driving home (if they are close to the house) - walk once home and do them. It can be done - I also lucked out in the office as we have a new treadmill desk so I can squeeze an hour or two in there and get some extra steps while working on something.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    smittal92 wrote: »
    Any suggestions or tips on what to do? Thanks!

Walk more
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    First, you don't HAVE to do 10,000 steps. But if that's what you want and your capable of it, try doing several shorter walks at different times during the day. You need the mental and physical breaks from studying anyway. :)
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Work in walks as study breaks when you can. Might not be as much of an option if you're by yourself in the library, but if you're in your dorm/apartment, even just pacing the hall could be a nice reprieve for a few minutes.

There's nothing magical about 10k steps. If you have a tracker like a Fitbit, consider lowering the goal to something you CAN reach and, once you can consistently hit the lower goal, then increase a bit, etc.

~Lyssa
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    I'm a grad student too so I totally understand how hard it can be. Like others have mentioned, try to get in steps where you can. Get off the bus one or two stops earlier and walk a little further to class. When studying, I find it actually helps so much for me to get up and talk a short walk to fill up my water bottle every 30 minutes or an hour. It's just a quick break to do a lap to the water fountain but helps me to refocus.

Because I spend so much of my day sitting, I actually love taking my breaks as walks. After staring at a screen all day, the last thing I want to do at night is sit down and watch Netflix. Walk to the grocery store and buy some produce to make yourself a nice dinner.

Little bits add up. I usually average 17k+ steps a day. :)
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    If you're running everyday keeping your heart rate elevated, you don't have do the 10000 steps, there are several other ways to get exercise in with out following that myth.

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/adults/index.htm
  • dth256
    dth256 Posts: 15 Member
    This morning I walked 3.25 miles on the treadmill, but the iPhone health app that syncs to MFP says I only walked 2.88 miles. Curious as to why this might be? Any help would be appreciated.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    dth256 wrote: »
    This morning I walked 3.25 miles on the treadmill, but the iPhone health app that syncs to MFP says I only walked 2.88 miles. Curious as to why this might be? Any help would be appreciated.
    your phone missed some steps.

Roll Tide

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    dth256 wrote: »
    your phone missed some steps.

Roll Tide

...or it counted all your steps, but it's using an inaccurate stride length to calculate distance.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    I usually only hit 10k steps if I'm working (I am a nurse). I usually run and lift weights, do some yoga and pole dance. I think the steps is a great start for very inactive people and can certainly give you insight into walking more. If you are otherwise active I am sure you will be fine.