Advice please

Options
Does combining walking and jogging help tone your arms or will I need to invest in some arm weights while walking?

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    you have to add strength training ,.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I would get weights and do curls, and tri extensions.

Walking and jogging will improve cardio vascular and will improve legs and glutes.
    I would not suggest arm weights while jogging.
    1) this would put unnecessary extra stress on an already developing system and may negatively effect posture and running form
    2) it wouldn't help the arms much as it would the shoulders and deltoids
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as toning. You either build muscle or lose fat to show more definition. So you can have some effect by walking and eating at a deficit. But you will also lose muscle (some) if you eat at a deficit. So you have to decide what you are looking for and work with that goal in mind.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You won't be able to "tone" your arms while walking (sorry). Toning is generally referred to as losing the layer of fat that is covering lean muscle you already have. You won't add any appreciable lean muscle while eating at a deficit.

Light dumbbells while walking may help to increase the intensity (of your walk) but it's not challenging enough for your upper body. Heavy weights while walking is hard on the joints & just plain dangerous. Weighted vests distribute the weight more evenly....these are safer for increasing your walk intensity level.

Look into body weight exercises.....push ups, planks, dips. Those will challenge your upper body more. You can focus on form (less risk for injury). Squats and lunges will challenge your lower body. When those are no longer challenging, look for some weights that are (challenging).
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If you want to "tone" (which is the exact same thing as just building muscle) you need to follow a structured lifting program. Common one I see a lot of ladies taking up as a beginner program is StrongCurves: bretcontreras.com/strong-curves-a-womans-guide-to-building-a-better-butt-and-body-sample-and-coaching-consultation-giveaway/
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I think young non obese people have many options but walking is great and something most people can do. For we that are older and especially if obese I think walking is about the best place to start to protect our old joints as we lose pounds. Those of you that are young and in relative good health do what it takes to manage weight and staying health. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure especially when young.