I like old posts and I cannot lie

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    @diannethegeek

I am upset that you have decided you can no longer post to the forums.

I understand why. I share many of your sentiments and am equally unhappy that the forums have disintegrated into a place where it is very difficult to help people succeed.

Your links are excellent. Your advice has always been logical and well thought-through

Thanks for being here when I was fixing myself

I hope you will consider returning

Take care

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Rock on.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    I just realized that Sir Mixalot encourages the idea of spot reduction. "You can do side bends or situps, but please don't lose that butt". Implying that exercises target loss in certain areas.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I just realized that Sir Mixalot encourages the idea of spot reduction. "You can do side bends or situps, but please don't lose that butt". Implying that exercises target loss in certain areas.

Woo-t Woo-t!!!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    @diannethegeek

I am upset that you have decided you can no longer post to the forums.

I understand why. I share many of your sentiments and am equally unhappy that the forums have disintegrated into a place where it is very difficult to help people succeed.

Your links are excellent. Your advice has always been logical and well thought-through

Thanks for being here when I was fixing myself

I hope you will consider returning

Take care

What, what...Diane the geek will no longer be posting?? WAHHHHHHH!!!!! Another veteran kaput. I is so sad. Diane, may your future be bright---and, thank you. Slinks off to whimper.
  • DemonicBlaze98
    DemonicBlaze98 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I give you, all of the copy/paste advice I use on these forums.

These are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.

Plateau advice, versions 1.0 and 2.0

It's hard to answer these kinds of posts without more details. How long has it been since you last saw a drop on the scale? A plateau is something like 6-8 weeks without a drop on the scale and with no changes to your routine (since diet & exercise changes tend to come with some water weight retention - which can screw with the scale). If it's only been a few weeks, then it's possible that it's just a natural stall and will go away on its own.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1

Other than that, the most common problems we see come from underestimating calories eaten and overestimating calories burned.

Opening your diary might help to get you more specific advice if you're comfortable doing so.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by several hundred calories when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is going to be the most accurate.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale/p1

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.

And there's something to be said for the fact that some people just burn fewer calories than the generic equations predict. If you're an outlier due to size, age, or medical issues, then it may be best to check with your doctor or get a referral to a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.

Lemonlionheart's amazing flowchart usually goes well with plateau advice:
    z258bbytk4ak.jpg

My standard post for all Mean People (tm) threads:

It's been my experience that every helpful poster on these forums, every single one, will be called rude, mean, negative, troll, bully, etc. at some point or another no matter how carefully they phrase their advice. Posts like this tend not to be very helpful. When every helpful poster is called out as mean at some point or another, then making a post like this without examples or qualifications just ends up pointing fingers at everyone.

There is some actual rudeness that goes above and beyond what should be acceptable here. Report it (use the actual report function not the flags) or call it out where you see it. But posts like this just add to the negative atmosphere that you're trying to combat instead of solving anything.

And lastly, How to choose a cleanse or detox that's right for you!

Step One: Identify the results you wish you achieve. There are many different cleanses and detoxes out there today and they target different things. In order to choose the recipe that's right for you, you need to know what you're trying to achieve. For instance, if you suffer from heavy metal poisoning, then you may need to consult a doctor. If your liver or kidneys are no longer working at peak performance, then you may need to consult a doctor. If you want to rid your body of toxic build-up from pesticides, then you may want to consult a doctor.

Step Two: Research your condition to find out the best treatment for it. This may require a trip to the doctor so that you can have bloodwork done to identify what ails you. If you're pretty sure that you know your body better than medical professionals, then head on over to Google and Pinterest and start that search!

Step Three: No really, read through the resources on this site about detoxing/cleansing. Especially this link to get you started: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse/p8

Step Four: Profit?

Quoted for the awesome.

Good to see you still posting.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Come back @diannethegeek ....come back.... :'(
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    bumping...

giphy.gif
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    bumping...

giphy.gif

• Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »
    This should be stickied. Do we still do that?

Just click on the "star" directly right of the thread's title.
    once it changes to yellow, it's saved for your future reference :):)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »
    This should be stickied. Do we still do that?

Just click on the "star" directly right of the thread's title.
    once it changes to yellow, it's saved for your future reference :):)

Holy Cow - I have never thought to do that

:)
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    <3
  • k80flec
    Options
    <3
  • k80flec