"weight loss supplements"

Options
Hey everyone !!!

I was working at a couple craft markets this past weekend (I make all natural lip balm :smiley: ) and there was a lady there selling It Works products. There is all kinds of stuff..wraps to make your fat go away, pills to help block fat, pills to help block carbs and I thought to myself...really??? This seems almost as bad as when Dr. Oz went on about Raspberry Kerotene and everyone lost their minds over it.

So, I'm curious...has anyone tried the It Works products? Did they work for you? I'm always curious about people's thoughts on stuff like this.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I suspect it might work for the sales people. Not so much for the users.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Yup.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    It's pseudoscience when it comes to "toning", weight loss, carb/fat blocking etc. Programs like these use products that offer a temporary result.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• canadianvampyregurl
    Options
    I just find it crazy that so many people jump on the bandwagon for these sorts of things. There is no quick fix.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    i used one random diet pills and had a really bad reaction and came out in a rash! this was a "green tea" suppliment apparently! beware of it all!!!!!
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Gimmicky.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Yep, it only "works" for people who sell it. Meaning....no one. I have not tried them personally, but I know someone who has. She's still obese, none of them helped. Sad thing is, she kept buying different ones, even after the first products failed, because the person selling them had progress pictures and SWORE they work. More money down the drain.
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    Options
    Not the "It Works" brand but my mom took "carb blocking" pills for years. Guess what? She's still obese. I cringe to think how much money she wasted.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone !!!

I was working at a couple craft markets this past weekend (I make all natural lip balm :smiley: ) and there was a lady there selling It Works products. There is all kinds of stuff..wraps to make your fat go away, pills to help block fat, pills to help block carbs and I thought to myself...really??? This seems almost as bad as when Dr. Oz went on about Raspberry Kerotene and everyone lost their minds over it.

So, I'm curious...has anyone tried the It Works products? Did they work for you? I'm always curious about people's thoughts on stuff like this.

Unfortunately, a US law was passed in 1994 by US Congress deregulating all " food and dietery supplements". It is a terrible situation where the consumer can trust no one.
    It is really disgraceful that there are people taking economic advantage of the desperation of their fellow human beings.
    Buyer beware
  • canadianvampyregurl
    Options
    absolutely buyer beware !!! Too bad more people can't see through the crap that is passed around as "healthy"
  • NikkiBiggestFan
    NikkiBiggestFan Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them personally but I see the products all the time on Instagram. I always get a chuckle out of the ads for them. Apprantly you can even wrap your face now to remove the fat. Hilarious.
  • canadianvampyregurl
    Options
    Wrap your face....oh my gawd..what next? Wrap your elbow cuz it has excess skin??? Geez !!!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them personally but I see the products all the time on Instagram. I always get a chuckle out of the ads for them. Apprantly you can even wrap your face now to remove the fat. Hilarious.

Is it bad that I'm excited for this development? Mostly because the wraps I've seen are saran wrap, and I figure this will weed out the derp rather quickly...
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    If anything worked we'd all be taking it and this forum would be nothing but Chit Chat Fun and Games.

When something does work it gets banned. First ephedra, then several forms of Bitter Orange, now I suspect all Bitter Orange will be on the chopping block next (not that the forms available now work worth a damn, the ones that did are gone, so don't bother). Waiting on Yohimbine to go as well, that might have done something for me or might not have, it was mixed with the Bitter Orange concoctions that worked, so not sure. But if it did, expect a ban or perhaps a 'voluntary discontinuation at the urging of the FDA'.

The FDA can't be arsed to regulate this stuff - except for some reason when something actually works. It's almost like the pharma lobbyists want us to turn to them and only them for weight loss pills.

So screw em, I'll just lose weight with steak. Not that big ag is on my friendlist, either.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I hadn't heard of Yohimbine for weight loss, just for ED. It is banned or restricted in several countries already.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/416264-how-safe-is-yohimbe/

...Non-Prescription Yohimbe Supplements

The Food and Drug Administration and biotechnology company Amgen collaborated on a one-year examination of dietary supplement-related calls to poison control centers. The results were published in the Journal of Medical Toxicology in 2008. Of 275 calls, 18 percent involved yohimbe containing products. Six of these involved yohimbe interactions with prescription drugs. Yohimbine is approved as a drug in the U.S., though in some European nations its use is banned or restricted due to its potential for harmful side effects. In Canada, the sale of non-approved yohimbine products without a prescription is banned. Germany's Commission E classified yohimbe bark as an unsafe herb due to its negative effects on the cardiovascular system.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I hadn't heard of Yohimbine for weight loss, just for ED. It is banned or restricted in several countries already.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/416264-how-safe-is-yohimbe/

...Non-Prescription Yohimbe Supplements

The Food and Drug Administration and biotechnology company Amgen collaborated on a one-year examination of dietary supplement-related calls to poison control centers. The results were published in the Journal of Medical Toxicology in 2008. Of 275 calls, 18 percent involved yohimbe containing products. Six of these involved yohimbe interactions with prescription drugs. Yohimbine is approved as a drug in the U.S., though in some European nations its use is banned or restricted due to its potential for harmful side effects. In Canada, the sale of non-approved yohimbine products without a prescription is banned. Germany's Commission E classified yohimbe bark as an unsafe herb due to its negative effects on the cardiovascular system.

Heh. Told ya. And yet so many prescription drugs pile up that body count, and even some OTC drugs. Wonder why? Hm.

Let me add though there is definitely some scary crap in supplements.

Rauwolfia vomitoria root is scary. Long term use means Parkinson's like symptoms and depression? Yet it's not banned. That one I hope soon will be.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    "It Works" is just a new name on the same old crap body wraps and vitamin enriched laxatives for weight loss. The results are temporary at best, detrimental to your health at worst.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Wrap your face....oh my gawd..what next? Wrap your elbow cuz it has excess skin??? Geez !!!

Ha! :D
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

BAM!
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I have tried the wraps. There is a decrease in size but for me, it's not major. I only paid $60 but I save the wraps for special occasions- when I wear a form fitting dress and want an extra flat tummy.