Options
13»

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    threadmad wrote: »
    "Merkavar
    Doesn't everyone want more pizza? That just seems like a lesson you need to learn. Learn to stop your self, self control, that feeling hungry isn't going to kill you. If you know you have had enough calories, ignore the feeling. "

Waaah! :'( I have no self control! I've been thinking about Kettle Salt & Cracked Pepper potato chips for several days. Bought a bag today thinking I would limit myself to one serving. After eating half a bag, the only thing I can have for dinner is a protein shake. The lesson I learned is no cheat days for me.

Those are my favorite chips. I have learned to eat them in moderation. This takes practice. Maybe you shouldn't buy them for awhile. When you do buy them again, take a bowl full and roll the edge up and put them away for tomorrow.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have cheat meals about every 3 weeks. If I go for a whole day I do way too much damage.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My father used to LOVE having a cheat day. He theorized that even God took a day off when creating the universe! LOL

Unfortunately, that's not something I've been able to really get a hold of. I would go to the EXTREME and there'd be no looking back. It's too much "free license" for me.

Know thyself. If you can do it and it helps you survive this journey, by all means, go for it. If it would be the binge of the universe (like it would be for me), then rethink it. It's whatever works best for you.
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    "Merkavar
    Doesn't everyone want more pizza? That just seems like a lesson you need to learn. Learn to stop your self, self control, that feeling hungry isn't going to kill you. If you know you have had enough calories, ignore the feeling. "

Waaah! :'( I have no self control! I've been thinking about Kettle Salt & Cracked Pepper potato chips for several days. Bought a bag today thinking I would limit myself to one serving. After eating half a bag, the only thing I can have for dinner is a protein shake. The lesson I learned is no cheat days for me.

Those are my favorite chips. I have learned to eat them in moderation. This takes practice. Maybe you shouldn't buy them for awhile. When you do buy them again, take a bowl full and roll the edge up and put them away for tomorrow.

Well, the rest of the bag is rolled and clipped, sitting by my keyboard. I will not touch. I will not touch. :(
    But I don't think I dare tempt myself again. I will finish the bag later this week after saving up for them. Maybe they'll be stale by then.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    "Merkavar

Yeah, if I weigh out my chips into a bowl and put the bag away, I'm fine. Sitting down with the bag, dangerous business! LOL
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    "Merkavar

Well, the rest of the bag is rolled and clipped, sitting by my keyboard. I will not touch. I will not touch. :(
    But I don't think I dare tempt myself again. I will finish the bag later this week after saving up for them. Maybe they'll be stale by then.

Why is it sitting by your keyboard? Every time you see it, you have to make a decision whether or not to eat it. Your poor brain...

Next time, if there is a next time, try weighing out a serving and putting the bag out of site.

• threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    "Merkavar

Why is it sitting by your keyboard? Every time you see it, you have to make a decision whether or not to eat it. Your poor brain...

Next time, if there is a next time, try weighing out a serving and putting the bag out of site.

Well, I moved away from the pc, and am now curled up with my phone in front of TV. I ordered a food scale but it hasn't arrived yet.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I do not have "cheat days". I lose weight slowly as it is, about 2-4 pounds a month. I log everything I eat and stay within 1000-1300 calories. There are a few foods I will not allow in the house, but aside from those, I will eat just about anything I want, just small quantities of higher calorie things I like.

For example, I love ice cream and there are so many good tasting flavors. I do often measure out 2/3 of a cup and eat that for a snack, but rarely more. I tell myself I can have some more tomorrow if I want to, that is enough. Yes, sometimes I even tell myself this out loud. And, yes, I do have another 2/3 of a cup the next evening if I want to.

That works for me!

70044776.png
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    If you mean not logging and eating more than you burn? No.

If you mean logging and eating at a smaller deficit or at estimated maintenance? Yes.

I eat at a very aggressive deficit 90% of the time. On special occasions or when I just feel like I need a bit more food, I temporarily raise my target. I also know that if I ate 200 calories less on Monday, then I can have 200 extra calories on Tuesday should I so desire. This system makes cheating obsolete but does require daily, accurate logging. All that matters is that I know I did not consume more than my body burned at the end of the week.

• sammyjoyc
    sammyjoyc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you *all* for your thoughts on this. I will log everything, even if I fall off the wagon.

I will try to look at my weekly calories & plan for one "cheat" (aka, to me - excessive) meal a week: my date night dinner once a week with my husband

Thank you all again! Be great, you are all great!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    sammyjoyc wrote: »
    Thank you *all* for your thoughts on this. I will log everything, even if I fall off the wagon.

I will try to look at my weekly calories & plan for one "cheat" (aka, to me - excessive) meal a week: my date night dinner once a week with my husband

Thank you all again! Be great, you are all great!

Awesome!!
  • whatshewants
    whatshewants Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do 1-2 meals a week that I consider a treat, usually with my husband or a friend. I try to log it whenever possible but it's not perfect. It's been good enough for me. I don't think I would have lasted as long on this journey without them. It's taught me that it's okay to go "off script" sometimes and that I can just jump back on. My biggest boundary before was feelings of failure that would prevent me from trying again.

Like others here, I also try to pre-plan certain items during the week such as alcohol or snacks. Similar to the "banking" calories idea that others have posted here. Counting on a weekly basis. Nice way to have some items you like. Moderation is key. I could never just swear off foods. I found it best to just make things fit that were important for me, and just make sure I'm nutritionally balanced. If I end up having a very heavy day or two, I try to just balance it out with an extra work out or a lighter day the next day.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I don't have 'cheat days' - although I used to refer to them as such. I decided to stop seeing certain foods as 'cheating' because it was generally an unhealthy way to look at things. Food is food, some has more calories than others and absolutely nothing about that equals cheating for me. I very occasionally have 'non tracking' days - if I'm in a position where I literally can't track, I tend to use my common sense. There are times where I have 'eating at maintenance' days - because I feel like eating a substantial amount more than usual. All of this is totally okay. Just be aware of what you are eating - that's the key. :)