No appetite

Options
2»

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Walrozz wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone knew what could be the cause, or any foods or lifestyle habits that might stimulate appetite. Thanks for your time!

It could be multiple things from an underlying medical condition to stress and anxiety.

A good idea is to set specific eating windows (say 7-8 am for breakfast, 1-2 pm for lunch, 6-7pm for dinner) and set an alarm to off at those times on your phone / watch. Then when you get notified consciously try and eat a specified meal (so not to appetite.) Try this for a while and see if it stimulates your hunger.

If not see your GP. A sustained loss of appetite can need medical attention
  • macelmer
    macelmer Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree that a trip to the doctor is a good idea. But I will also give my advice:
    I have a chronic illness and have found that when I am not hungry, I am thirsty so why not drink some of your calories. Look for dietary supplements that are high calorie or get supplemental powder and mix with juice or milk for extra calories. Drinking calories appeals to me especially when I cannot eat food.
  • warlock914
    warlock914 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am not a health expert and you should always consult with a doctor first to rule out real medical conditions like Gastritis (stomach) or Tonsillitis (E/N/T).

I was stressed with symptoms like the OP described on and off for a while, and I hope to help people with similar situation. My most recent bout started when I was drinking protein shakes as my main daily calories (before MFP of course). Trying to eat big meals or many types of foods at this time may be an agitator to the stomach, or seem repulsive. However, I could still feel my body craving solid foods so at a recommendation I started eating some yogurts. My stomach felt instant relief like the acids were neutralized on contact! I laid off the protein drinks for a couple days-weeks and was able to steadily eat more solid foods (microwave if you don't cook).

I was still not hungry waking up early in the morning for work/school and I realized it was the same problem/solution. I had not had a solid meal for the 8 hours of sleep and my stomach was agitated. Yogurt or small meal ~300 cal (careful with heartburn) before bed and I felt much better in the morning where I could eat something.

Basically the cause is not eating enough and the goal is transitioning back to maintenance calorie intake with soft non-acidic foods. With calorie burning activities you should start to feel hungry all the time and maybe more willing to try new foods. Hope this helps!
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/food-fitness-planner/
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    _DaniC wrote: »
    Walrozz wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone knew what could be the cause, or any foods or lifestyle habits that might stimulate appetite. Thanks for your time!

It sounds exactly like an eating disorder. Keep in mind an eating disorder does not equal anorexia.

This.
    Eating disorders are not focused on weight for everybody. Go see a doctor.
  • dallas_33
    dallas_33 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I have other things going on and just forget to eat. I learned in my nutrition class that when you don't eat like you should, your body, over time, stops sending those hunger cues. Which may explain the forgetting to eat. Using this app, I'm amazed at how low my intake is. I never realized how much I'm NOT eating. So your not alone. I read in these forums to try drinking more liquids like shakes and such then move on to eating more. Send yourself a reminder every 2-3 hrs to eat/drink something. Eventually your body will respond and get "hungry" again. I dont know. Not there yet either. Baby steps. Try it. Gotta start somewhere. Good luck!
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with an eating disorder for many years and recently started recovery in the beginning of this year. I also had no hunger cues due to restricting so much which wasn't uncommon for my case. My recovery team told me once I start eating at regular times, they should come back. Currently, I have a timer set to remind me to eat every 2-3 hours. I'm not saying you have an eating disorder, (if you were doing it intentionally, that would be different) but maybe that will help you too.

There's a huge difference between eating disorders and disordered eating.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmaLOAsRML0
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Same boat here as well. Literally my body doesn't get hungry. When u try to stuff yourself when your not hungry that doesn't help. Psychologically your body denotes the food as something negative. It's easy to say eat small meals or eat specific foods but for girls like you and I that didn't work. Please try apetamine this works!!! There's hundreds of YouTube videos. It's an appetite stimulant. All natural

Recommending treatments to other posters is very dangerous.