Have you seen this video about true calories in popular foods?

Options
https://youtu.be/hE2lna5Wxuo

I Was surprised at how far of some of the calorie counts restaurant display are off?

Be careful out there! :)

Replies

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Not that surprising...I've read similar things about the inaccuracy of calorie labels before...though the sandwich being double was pretty bad. This is why I always am amused when people argue on the board about whether their zero calorie cooking spray is still zero calories if they spray for 1.5 seconds instead of 0.5 seconds. The point is none of us know with a high degree of accuracy how many calories we actually eat. If you weigh more than you want to just eat less...no need to drive yourself crazy weighing your bread slices.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's why I hate eating out, lol.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Not surprised at all.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    Yup, I have seen that. Fast food works because of uniformity, so I trust fast food nutrition facts as far as the weight of the meat and the size of the bun of my cheeseburger. I have weighed fries after getting home and they have been the correct weight or less. I've weighed chicken nuggets as well, and they have been the stated weight or less. I never trust the info they give for condiments such as mayo. I had a chicken sandwich the other day that had nutrition info that included 50 calories worth of mayo, but my sandwich clearly had closer to 2 tbsp of mayo on it. It was really slathered on there. I'll generally add my own condiments at home or I will just try to eyeball the amount as best I can or skip them completely if I am eating on the go. As for food in a sit-down restaurant, if they have published info, I will add 10% on top of that.

• 555_FILK
    555_FILK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    LOL that's government for you. You MUST post calorie counts! You can totally make them up and we won't have a clue and we have no idea what we're talking about... but you MUST post them.

Maybe I'll make up numbers on my taxes next year.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    At the fast food joint I used to work at, everybody in the kitchen always put double mayo on stuff. Like double mayo was our "regular" mayo serving. I'm one of the lucky ones because I don't really like mayo. ;)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Not that surprising...I've read similar things about the inaccuracy of calorie labels before...though the sandwich being double was pretty bad. This is why I always am amused when people argue on the board about whether their zero calorie cooking spray is still zero calories if they spray for 1.5 seconds instead of 0.5 seconds. The point is none of us know with a high degree of accuracy how many calories we actually eat. If you weigh more than you want to just eat less...no need to drive yourself crazy weighing your bread slices.

You could argue that if you've been counting calories for a while you'd know the two slices of bread should already be almost 200 calories, so you'd know immediately something was off. It also made up most of the extra 500 calories.

And really a 100 calorie difference for a 1100 calorie burrito is more than acceptable if you've got the calories to spare for a 1100 calorie burrito o begin with.

I find it interesting that the things that were off the most were the not-fastfood things.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    And, yet, over time, my loss almost exactly matched what would be expected for the calorie deficit I was logging. I either know to a high degree of accuracy or just happened to get really, really lucky. I don't think it was luck.

• Werk2Eat
    Werk2Eat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yup, I have seen that. Fast food works because of uniformity, so I trust fast food nutrition facts as far as the weight of the meat and the size of the bun of my cheeseburger. I have weighed fries after getting home and they have been the correct weight or less. I've weighed chicken nuggets as well, and they have been the stated weight or less. I never trust the info they give for condiments such as mayo. I had a chicken sandwich the other day that had nutrition info that included 50 calories worth of mayo, but my sandwich clearly had closer to 2 tbsp of mayo on it. It was really slathered on there. I'll generally add my own condiments at home or I will just try to eyeball the amount as best I can or skip them completely if I am eating on the go. As for food in a sit-down restaurant, if they have published info, I will add 10% on top of that.

I had a whopper a few days ago and got it w/cheese. BK lists cheese as an extra 80 calories. I took the top off to add more ketchup (they never put enough ketchup on) Anyway, the cheese was not completely melted and you could tell there were 4 slices of cheese on it!

• CutsandCurves
    CutsandCurves Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Do not eat fast food. It will literally do really bad things to your body and mind.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    thinlizzie wrote: »
    Do not eat fast food. It will literally do really bad things to your body and mind.
    Like cause you to lump all sorts of different food into a single, monolithic category?

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    And people on here laugh because I weigh my take-out food.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    thinlizzie wrote: »

Like what, exactly?
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Most people are in the boat of "food labels are pretty accurate" , I'm a bit more suspicious about it, but like @DeguelloTex, I seem have weight loss lining up to the average calorie deficit I've been logging so who the heck knows, I could very well be wrong in my cynicism.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    @DeguelloTex lol. literally, out loud.