My TDEE

Options
I thought I would give TDEE a shot - I calculated it based on the calculator at http://iifym.com/IIFYM-calculator/ and I used the Katch-McCardle formula. I didn't realize there were so many different formulas! The results are:

TDEE: 1879
For Fat Loss: 1503

I selected "textbook" nutrients plan of 25% fat 50% carbs and 25% protein

And the results were:

CARBS PROTEIN FAT FIBER CALORIES
GRAMS per day 187.9 93.9 41.8 35 - 44 1503
GRAMS per meal 62.6 31.3 13.9 12 - 15 501

Thoughts?
Does the 1503 include "exercise calories?"
or Do I get the 1503 + exercise calories, but not exceeding 1879?

Do these results even look generally accurate or like a good game plan?

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated :flowerforyou: gracias yall!

Replies

• Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    TDEE includes exercise calories. They are accounted for as part of the calculation.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    May be a dumb question, but do i use the 1503 or the 1879? Why did the calculator "give" me both?
  • lizzzylou
    Options
    bump
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    The 1879 is to maintain your weight. The 1503 is to lose weight. Basically, if you're consistently over 1879 calories you'll gain weight. If you're consistently under it, you'll lose.

I'm assuming you included exercise when calculating your TDEE, so you shouldn't eat back your exercise calories because those are already accounted for.
  • lizzzylou
    Options
    The 1879 is to maintain your weight. The 1503 is to lose weight. Basically, if you're consistently over 1879 calories you'll gain weight. If you're consistently under it, you'll lose.

I'm assuming you included exercise when calculating your TDEE, so you shouldn't eat back your exercise calories because those are already accounted for.

Thanks!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    There are only 3 calcs for BMR, couple for RMR.

You would include exercise in choice of levels of weekly activity, and take deficit from there.

That's a rather involved calculator, usually not for those that don't know what they are doing and not if doing IF.

Try this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    1503 is your 1879 TDEE minus 20% which is the typical cut depending on how much you have to lose. Your TDEE should include your exercise already, so don't eat back exercise calories.

I prefer calculating my daily calories *without* exercise and then logging and eating my exercise calories back, but my exercise is very sporadic. I don't think calculating TDEE would be as accurate for me. You just have to find what works for you.
  • lizzzylou
    Options

Is it recommended to not include exercise calories in TDEE & then eat them back because if, for example, if I use 3 times/week that could be a 30 minute jog or 60 minutes of insanity and would burn vastly different amounts?
  • lizzzylou
    Options
    1503 is your 1879 TDEE minus 20% which is the typical cut depending on how much you have to lose. Your TDEE should include your exercise already, so don't eat back exercise calories.

I prefer calculating my daily calories *without* exercise and then logging and eating my exercise calories back, but my exercise is very sporadic. I don't think calculating TDEE would be as accurate for me. You just have to find what works for you.

I'm very sporadic with exercise as well, so thank you for your feedback!
  • lizzzylou
    Options
    There are only 3 calcs for BMR, couple for RMR.

You would include exercise in choice of levels of weekly activity, and take deficit from there.

That's a rather involved calculator, usually not for those that don't know what they are doing and not if doing IF.

Try this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm

oh wow! Awesome spreadsheet, thanks for the reference! Now to do some more reading :)
  • lizzzylou
    Options
    When using the TDEE method, you will have to recalculate every 5 lbs to keep the momentum going. You don't just set it and forget it. So, don't get too elaborate with the calculation because every month or so, you'll recalculate your new number.

That's good to know!! It totally makes sense once you point it out to me, but something I would have easily overlooked
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I honestly have no idea what calorie intake to aim for! Help would be very welcome.

I have used calculators and get such variations:

1) BMR = 1,374 calories/day
    2) RMR = 1454
    3) TDEE = 1765.

I'm not doing vast amounts of cardio yet as i've been having chest issues that are being looked into at hospital. So any calories I do burn on top of normal day-to-day are simply a bonus. I've been sticking to 1200 for 4 weeks and have only dropped 2lbs of what I re-gained. So frustrated!

Side note- recently started a new contraceptive pill.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    @Carol - read posts above yours for solution.

@Lizzy - enter stats on Simple Setup tab, then follow directions in Activity Calc section to enter whatever is regular and constant, and then move to the MFP Tweak tab to eat back the right amount that is irregular and iffy.

But as Jerry said, as much included in TDEE as possible just makes it easier to do.