I'm new to all this, please give advice!

Options
Okay here goes.....
I am a 31 year old mother of one who is 5" 9 and I weigh 235. I am starting week two of clean eating. This is a very hard concept for me to begin with, much less to add exercise into the mix. I am the administrator at our local Christian school, I have soccer practice with my daughter three days a week, I still must keep my house in order (or somewhat in order) where do you ladies find time for workouts? I have a local gym about 3 miles from my house but I have no clue where to start. I have a goal to lose 75 pounds by June, is this do able?

Replies

• FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Go before work.. or after chores. That's what I do

Come home, wash dishes.. clean. Check on kids homework. THEN GYM. And dinner afterwards

My wife helps ALOT too. BTW
  • lizziesmom15
    lizziesmom15 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Go before work.. or after chores. That's what I do

Come home, wash dishes.. clean. Check on kids homework. THEN GYM. And dinner afterwards

My wife helps ALOT too. BTW

I have an awesome husband and normalyh after chores and homework we have family time. I guess I could go when they go to bed. The gym would be less crowded as well huh? Thanks for reply.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Okay here goes.....
    I am a 31 year old mother of one who is 5" 9 and I weigh 235. I am starting week two of clean eating. This is a very hard concept for me to begin with, much less to add exercise into the mix. I am the administrator at our local Christian school, I have soccer practice with my daughter three days a week, I still must keep my house in order (or somewhat in order) where do you ladies find time for workouts? I have a local gym about 3 miles from my house but I have no clue where to start. I have a goal to lose 75 pounds by June, is this do able?

75 lbs will be hard but can be done, you will have to be dedicated and not "yo-yo". I would start with just walking to that gym. Keep that up until you feel like you a ready for more, that would take 1:30 hours of you walk at a 15 minute mile. Do that with a slight caloric deficit and you will lose weight. Once you start dropping weight you can think about your other goals. If they are are just losing weight (no small goal), the diet is the king. If you want to gain muscle or increase cardio function then you will need to look for a program that fits your needs. This forum can be a good place to come and get support when you need it though.
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Health advice...or just advice. ..if it's just advice then I feel like I can provide some good life experiences and decisions...if it's health...well...I can probably google something for you and possibly take credit for it.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    That should say 1 1/5 hours not 1:30, sorry.
  • lizziesmom15
    Options
    armylife wrote: »
    Okay here goes.....

75 lbs will be hard but can be done, you will have to be dedicated and not "yo-yo". I would start with just walking to that gym. Keep that up until you feel like you a ready for more, that would take 1:30 hours of you walk at a 15 minute mile. Do that with a slight caloric deficit and you will lose weight. Once you start dropping weight you can think about your other goals. If they are are just losing weight (no small goal), the diet is the king. If you want to gain muscle or increase cardio function then you will need to look for a program that fits your needs. This forum can be a good place to come and get support when you need it though.

Walking to the gym and back would be awesome but its on a main stage highway, maybe o should just walk the other direction down my road , toward the country. Thanks souch for the advice.
  • lizziesmom15
    Options
    Health advice...or just advice. ..if it's just advice then I feel like I can provide some good life experiences and decisions...if it's health...well...I can probably google something for you and possibly take credit for it.

I would love any advice!! :smile:
  • ilovecereal1982
    Options
    Hmmmmm ok..ok...geez...didn't expect to be put on the spot here...stay in scho....no..may have graduated...ummm..don't do dru...nope ..everyone knows that...OH how about...don't talk to strangers??? Wait techincally I am one...dang...I mean I'm put on the spot here so I'm really struggling. .this is so weird!!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    What I did to get around having to go to the gym was bringing the gym to my home. I own an exercise bike, an entry-level Bowflex (PR1000) and some free weights. I use the Bowflex and weights for strength training and the exercise bike for HIIT. Workouts are about 40 minutes three days a week (I just watch a TV show while I do it). You actually don't want to go too much more if you're seriously training to build muscle - your body needs time to recover and build new muscle in between sessions. If I really have too much energy I might go and do some extra time on the bike, but I go pretty leisurely then - the training is all on training days, and that's where all serious effort happens.

If I'd realized the mileage I'd get out of the Bowflex I probably would have sprung for a better model with some extra exercise options and higher maximum resistance, but I would never regret buying it - it's been a great investment.
  • ilovecereal1982
    Options
    Woah...yep...he knows advice. ..Definitely prepared to answer.
  • lizziesmom15
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    What I did to get around having to go to the gym was bringing the gym to my home. I own an exercise bike, an entry-level Bowflex (PR1000) and some free weights. I use the Bowflex and weights for strength training and the exercise bike for HIIT. Workouts are about 40 minutes three days a week (I just watch a TV show while I do it). You actually don't want to go too much more if you're seriously training to build muscle - your body needs time to recover and build new muscle in between sessions. If I really have too much energy I might go and do some extra time on the bike, but I go pretty leisurely then - the training is all on training days, and that's where all serious effort happens.

If I'd realized the mileage I'd get out of the Bowflex I probably would have sprung for a better model with some extra exercise options and higher maximum resistance, but I would never regret buying it - it's been a great investment.

Great advice, so I can so watch good network and work all my frustration out on a stationary bike. That may be a cheap investment for beginning.
  • lizziesmom15
    Options
    Woah...yep...he knows advice. ..Definitely prepared to answer.

Well , your advice was humorous so you get points for making me lol. Way to go!
  • ilovecereal1982
    Options
    Hey!! I tried!! I'll come back with some good sound fitness advice...it may not be what you want to hear though!!! It may have nothing to do with fitness! !!
  • lizziesmom15
    Options
    Hey!! I tried!! I'll come back with some good sound fitness advice...it may not be what you want to hear though!!! It may have nothing to do with fitness! !!

I need fitness advice, weight loss advice, I haven't been fit since I stepped off the basketball court my senior year of high school. Man this were the days.
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

He's gonna kill me for stealing the best advice ever but..

'keep bacon grease on hand, makes everything taste like bacon'
  • lizziesmom15
    Options
    catt952 wrote: »

Lol, thanks!
  • ilovecereal1982
    Options
    catt952 wrote: »

Thief!!! But seriously that's great advice!
  • ilovecereal1982
    Options

I need fitness advice, weight loss advice, I haven't been fit since I stepped off the basketball court my senior year of high school. Man this were the days.

Hey I love basketball. ..could you dunk??? I could dunk but I'd have to lower the rim.
  • carolgrn
    carolgrn Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Log all food correctly. Keep track of Any exercise and log all.
    During work (if possible) use large ball to sit on (helps core stabilization); any time on phone stand and dance, march or jog;
    If you have lunch time, take part to walk or do Any type of exercise;
    Check if your gym has an inside pool - take your daughter with you (she'll love it) and Keep Moving! (don't forget to use resistance weights in the water)
    When at home you can dance, march or jog while preparing food, doing dishes, folding clothes, etc.
    Come home from the grocery store and do extra lifts with some cans/bottles of food or water before placing in pantry.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    75 lbs is a fairly aggressive goal. You've got approximately 8 months, I think you could come pretty close. Even if you can't quite get there, that is no reason not to start, right? You can lose faster at the beginning, and then you will have to drop your rate of loss the closer you get to goal (as your maintenance calories will drop the lighter you get, which makes it harder/impossible to maintain a large deficit without dropping below the 1200 calorie per day net minimum.) Read my post here to get started. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest