Possible to get sixpack without face looking too thin/sick?

Title says it all. I saw a photo of that actor from Downton Abbey who went to hollywood and lost weight, and he might have great abs now, but his face - he looks ill. I know it's not possible to spot-reduce fat (short of lipo). Just wondered other peoples thoughts on this.
«1

Replies

  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    I can kind of relate to this..

    I'm around 8 lbs from my goal weight yet many people advised me to 'stop' a few pounds ago simply because my collar bone is protruding substantially and my rib bones are more visible these days. Having said that, I am still at the higher end of the BMI scale and I also still have quite a fair amount of fat left on my stomach and arms and back. I can't spot reduce, but I feel dropping my weight ever so slightly more will help tackle some of the excess on said areas. After 8lbs, I'll just embrace what I have and start a recomp type of plan.

    Unfortunately, our bodies just lose as and where it decides! :)
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    People say you need to be 10 percent bodyfat to see abs. If you are 10 percent your face should be thin and chiseled. Are there exceptions? Of course, but they are not the majority.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    That is a very individual thing and depends on your genetics. If you have never been lean enough to see abs you won't know until you get there how your body and face looks overall. Some people can see abs at 10% BF some have to get down even lower. Myself, I have to get down pretty lean, around 7 or 8% to really have a true six pack but at that point my face is gaunt looking and I look a little sick. In my profile picture I am around 10% which is about as low as I like to go.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Great question. I haven't found any solution yet either......
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    yeah, what's the point of looking good without clothes, if you look ill with them.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Dan Stevens goes up and down in weight deepening on his role.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    He does not look sick
    gty_dan_stevens_downton_weight_loss_ss_thg_130328_ssh.jpg

    When someone loses weight, they might look different to you and it can be shocking. But if someone didn't know them before and just sees the "after", they usually look great.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Just get the abs, and then stuff your cheeks with seeds like a hamster or chipmunk. There, problem solved.
  • basscadet808
    basscadet808 Posts: 37 Member
    I think that a lot of people do look older with a thinner face as you can see more wrinkles. Not answering your question one bit but stating my opinion (fact)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    He does not look sick
    gty_dan_stevens_downton_weight_loss_ss_thg_130328_ssh.jpg

    When someone loses weight, they might look different to you and it can be shocking. But if someone didn't know them before and just sees the "after", they usually look great.

    I don't think he looks ill but I will say that I wouldn't have known that was the same person. I think it's more because he has a different hair color and style now.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    In addition to what the others have said above, a lot also depends on your underlying musculature.

    One could theoretically 'starve' him/herself down so thin that abs show, but with the side effect of losing (or - never having) substantial muscle mass underneath. That could be the effect you're describing.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited September 2015
    I can say, in my case, NO.

    Here's a progression of my face as i've lost weight.

    IMG_2050_zpsdnwcl6m9.jpg

    IMG_1464_zpsjklwyuva.jpg

    IMG_1416_zpsrtvelvmg.jpg

    IMG_1434_zpso096ww1s.jpg


    I didn't realize it was even that noticeable until looking at these pictures. I was low 20's body fat in the first two. I was 18% in the third. And i measured in at 16% on the last.

    I was just starting to get fully visible abs on the last photo. I have since gained some body fat as it's not worth it to me.

    My face especially around my mouth/cheeks/laugh lines started to get really gaunt looking.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    edited September 2015
    I know it's not possible for me, but I don't care. My face doesn't burn more calories in a rested state (ab muscles or any muscles will). My face doesn't keep my core steady and safe when I run (soon!), walk, and bicycle. To hell with my face, it wasn't all that cute to begin with. I'll deal. And yes, the muscles can still be there under layers of fat that will plump out my face, but that fat is useless deadweight that messes with my movement, core stability, and okay fine, annoys the crap out of me in clothes.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    I know it's not possible for me, but I don't care. My face doesn't burn more calories in a rested state (ab muscles or any muscles will). My face doesn't keep my core steady and safe when I run (soon!), walk, and bicycle. To hell with my face, it wasn't all that cute to begin with. I'll deal.

    You don't have to have visible abs to have strong abs.

    O_o
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    I know it's not possible for me, but I don't care. My face doesn't burn more calories in a rested state (ab muscles or any muscles will). My face doesn't keep my core steady and safe when I run (soon!), walk, and bicycle. To hell with my face, it wasn't all that cute to begin with. I'll deal.

    You don't have to have visible abs to have strong abs.

    O_o

    Crap, edited too slow! You're right. But fat is useless dead weight that hangs around (except the amount we need for insulation, blah blah science.)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    I know it's not possible for me, but I don't care. My face doesn't burn more calories in a rested state (ab muscles or any muscles will). My face doesn't keep my core steady and safe when I run (soon!), walk, and bicycle. To hell with my face, it wasn't all that cute to begin with. I'll deal.

    You don't have to have visible abs to have strong abs.

    O_o

    Crap, edited too slow! You're right. But fat is useless dead weight that hangs around (except the amount we need for insulation, blah blah science.)

    Ah, true. I know for women especially the body fat percentage we need to function normally and without disrupting hormone levels usually doesn't allow us to get low enough to have visible abs all the time year round. Most women start losing their period around 16% body fat and depending on muscle mass, they may not show it until around there or even lower.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Genetics is really going to determine most of this. I've seen people with thin faces and no 6 pack, and for them to get may mean an even more gaunt look. I've also seen people with 6 packs and no substantial fat loss from their faces. Only by doing it can an individual know.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    I know it's not possible for me, but I don't care. My face doesn't burn more calories in a rested state (ab muscles or any muscles will). My face doesn't keep my core steady and safe when I run (soon!), walk, and bicycle. To hell with my face, it wasn't all that cute to begin with. I'll deal.

    You don't have to have visible abs to have strong abs.

    O_o

    Crap, edited too slow! You're right. But fat is useless dead weight that hangs around (except the amount we need for insulation, blah blah science.)

    Ah, true. I know for women especially the body fat percentage we need to function normally and without disrupting hormone levels usually doesn't allow us to get low enough to have visible abs all the time year round. Most women start losing their period around 16% body fat and depending on muscle mass, they may not show it until around there or even lower.

    I have never lost my period from weight loss (did from severe stress one summer when I was a teenager). Even when I was in my late teens and twenties and dieting stupid, I never lost it. If I ever do, it will be a huge warning signal to make fast changes. Unless of course I'm a few years older and its menonpause time. ;)
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited September 2015
    I think age, as well as body shape, is also a factor.

    I have no idea what my BF% is, but I am nearly 51 yrs old (female). I have always had a very narrow trunk/waist/ribs and after 30 lbs lost, my BMI has shifted from from overweight to the middle of the normal range, so I am definitely not thin. I am quite muscular, given my age, and my abs are now quite visible, even though I still have fat along my inner thighs, butt and top of my hip region. After the weight loss, I can clearly see that my face has more deeper wrinkles/crevices. I suspect that this would not have been an issue if I were 20-30 yrs younger. I always was lucky to look far younger than my age, and part of that was one of the very rare bonuses of being a bit too fat.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    Title says it all. I saw a photo of that actor from Downton Abbey who went to hollywood and lost weight, and he might have great abs now, but his face - he looks ill. I know it's not possible to spot-reduce fat (short of lipo). Just wondered other peoples thoughts on this.


    Totally relate to what you're saying. I'm 54, female, 5' 9". When I was 19ish I weighed 119 lbs. Naturally, not because I tried to be that weight. Was I thin looking? Yes. But I still had a young face with all the right amount of fat and cheeks. By 40 years old, I saw that if I weighed less than 135 lbs, people reacted badly and told me I was too thin. 140 lbs seemed to be the weight that I could be be happy with my thighs AND my face. Now at 54, I'm trying to work my way down to 140 again (currently 147) but I won't know till I get there if it's going to look good.
    A gaunt face ages a person, not to mention you can end up looking like a lollipop head.