weight down but measurements up?

Options
The past few weeks my weight has been slowly going down but my measurements for arms, waist, hips and thighs have gone up.

Any explanations for this? I got two separate people to check the measurements in case they were being taken wrong. Really confused about whats happening.

Replies

• lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    How often do you measure, how much have they gone up, what are you measuring?
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Buy one of those spring loaded type tapes from GNC or where ever and do it yourself. If we are talking measurement differences like 1/4" or 1/2", pay no attention since the scale is going down. If you are confident with your nutrition and exercise plan, relax and good things will happen.
  • Dani19711
    Dani19711 Posts: 33
    Options
    What is your workout regime like? Your diet? And your sodium intake? Could be a number of things.
  • lemur_lady
    Options
    The measurements are going up by about 2cm each week even though my weight is going down. What could be the reason for this?
  • lemur_lady
    Options
    My 'workout' regime is at the moment prety much non existent. I have started doing some resistance stuff this week but pretty new to it all and trying to work out how best to fit it into my lifestyle.

According to the log my sodium intake isnt too bad most days but I am dubious about how accurate it is. For example I was looking at a packet the other day and a serving gave nearly a 1/4 of your daily salt but barely made a dent in my sodium on the diary. Could it be too much salt and I am retaining water? But if so why is the weight going down?
  • Dani19711
    Options
    Can be some waterweight but not all. I would guess your losing lean mass while adding fat. The other way around you would add weight and lose cms. Since I can't read your fooddiary it's a guess though.
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The measurements are going up by about 2cm each week even though my weight is going down. What could be the reason for this?

Yeah, but what are you measuring? As in, what parts of your body?

An increase could be attributed to an increase in muscle without a decrease in fat, especially if you are pear shaped and doing something like squats. Doesn't mean you shouldn't be building the muscles, though. When you do lose the fat, you'd have lovely toned legs, plus even if you didn't lose the fat you'd still look more firm and shapely.
  • Dani19711
    Options

An increase could be attributed to an increase in muscle without a decrease in fat, especially if you are pear shaped and doing something like squats. Doesn't mean you shouldn't be building the muscles, though. When you do lose the fat, you'd have lovely toned legs, plus even if you didn't lose the fat you'd still look more firm and shapely.
    That would be if she was adding weight, not losing. Fattissue takes up a lot more space than muscle while being the same amount of weight.
  • lemur_lady
    Options

I explained in my OP I am measuring my waist, hips, thighs and arms.

As it has only been a few weeks and I have not been working out that much I doubt it is muscle.