Trying to figure out how to get my mom connected to myfitnesspal

Options
My mom really wants and needs to lose weight. Number one reason is for her health. Anyway she isn't very good with computer or smart phones. So I was going to try and help her but when I try to sign her up it won't let me I think because she need a email account. So could I use my email and let her have her own password? Just trying to figure out what I can do to help her. She has done weight watchers several time but I thought if I give her something new to follow it may encourage her and might keep up with it. Any advice would help.

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Your mum is lucky to have such a caring child! :]

First of all, does she want to lose weight? This may be a step that ultimately she needs to make herself. Gentle encouragement is fine but she if she isn't very good with computers/online logging, she may find this a little complicated. You say she tried Weight Watchers before, perhaps joining up with a friend of hers may help her stay on track this time round?
  • nicnoahshaun
    nicnoahshaun Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Earlier this summer I got my my to join me at a gym and we would walk on treadmill and that lasted for about one month. She always talks about her weight and how unhappy she is with her weight. I try to tell her not to focus on how long it takes. It will come with time but she is the type of person she wants to see results right away. My mom's problem is she get upset or discourage if she doesn't see a chance right away. She is also a stress eater. I have told her that she needs to write everything down. I wanted to get her on myfitnesspal because it helps break everything down for her and I think if she could see what is going on and what to work on it might help her understand more and be more of encouragement for her. I'm not sure how to get her set up. Does she have to have email or could I just use my email and set password for her? So she could join myfitnesspal. Also I have talked with her about myfitnesspal and she says she want to if I can set it up for her. I'm just trying to figure out how.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you can have more than one account per e-mail address. If not, you can have her go to yahoo or another free e-mail website and set up an e-mail address to use, even if you have to help her. From there, she can sign into MFP on whatever device she's using, set it to remember her login info. Save the info somewhere for her in case she needs a password reset or something.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Create an email account for her - Google, yahoo & hotmail let you create one for free. Take note of the login information & set a recovery email, too. I would set your email as the recovery one - that way if she's locked out, you should be able to send reset info to your email and get her back in.

From there, you can create an account for her here and help her get started :)

~Lyssa
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Earlier this summer I got my my to join me at a gym and we would walk on treadmill and that lasted for about one month. She always talks about her weight and how unhappy she is with her weight. I try to tell her not to focus on how long it takes. It will come with time but she is the type of person she wants to see results right away. My mom's problem is she get upset or discourage if she doesn't see a chance right away. She is also a stress eater. I have told her that she needs to write everything down. I wanted to get her on myfitnesspal because it helps break everything down for her and I think if she could see what is going on and what to work on it might help her understand more and be more of encouragement for her. I'm not sure how to get her set up. Does she have to have email or could I just use my email and set password for her? So she could join myfitnesspal. Also I have talked with her about myfitnesspal and she says she want to if I can set it up for her. I'm just trying to figure out how.

I can relate to this. My mom is very overweight ("morbidly" obese in fact) and she's been told she is pre-diabetic. Her feeling about weight loss is that it's all or nothing and that if she can't subsist on crackers and lettuce there's no hope. She's noticed my weight loss and expressed an interest, but when I start talking about the details of logging and weighing food she gets overwhelmed.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    We kids made my mom an email account. imshort@yahoo.com is what she got (minus the details). I've been trying to get my mom to get on to myfitnesspal for years. She keeps saying she'll join back up to WW but will wait until they have a deal. Honestly, it frustrates me because she is making every excuse to avoid taking care of herself. She lost weight with WW with their groups meetings and understands a calorie. However, talking about trail mix the other day, I really think she's forgotten how much a nut is these days. (The things you could eat for 25calories back in my day.)
    The point here. I know what its like to watch someone drowning and refusing your lifesaver. Hopefully you have better luck minus the technology aspect.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    What a great kid you are
  • nicnoahshaun
    nicnoahshaun Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    THANKS!