Water on the knee when walking?

Options
I usually go for a 4 mile walk every evening and for some reason as soon as I get going, by left knee gets swollen and stiff..as well as my hands to where I can't bend them. I am assuming this is due to the humidity in Houston- but it is the knee part that bothers me, I can barely straighten it all the way. The swelling goes away within about 8 hours, and is fine the next day. I can bike ride however with no problem...any idea what's causing this?:sad:

Replies

• dkhuff1
    dkhuff1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I would see you doctor. You may have a torn meniscus or ligament that allows too much movement in your knee while walking. I had this very issue and it turned out I had a torn meniscus and torn ACL from an old injury. Also, you may wAnt to consider doing some knee stabilization exercises to tighten up the muscles that support your knee such as body weight squats, lunges, and then advance to where you are doing squats on a upside down bosu ball. You can also do lunges where your front leg steps onto a bosu ball- just make sure it's backed up against a wall so it does not slide away from you. You an also do these exercises with resistance bands. You can do small hops laterally to with a resistance band where you land and balance on one foot.

Do get your knee checked out. If you have something torn in there and ignore it for years, you have a100% chance of getting arthritis. This happened to me and I wish I had known to see a doc about it. ( my primary care doc misdiagnosed it for 5 years)

Good luck!
  • CajunTexan33
    CajunTexan33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Well I do have autoimmune arthritis- Sjogren's and possibly RA..but it just doesn't hurt like joint pain does so that's why I wasn't sure. I did just start lower body workouts with lunges, squats, etc..but no knee injury that I am aware of! Might have to get back on my meds which I really didn't want to do.