arm help

Options
I'm a 24 year old woman with chubby arms. I want to shrink and tone them, any suggestions? I have weights, but I'm not really sure how to use them appropriately. I don't want to look like a body builder. Help!

Replies

• armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    As a woman you do not have the chemical make up to look like a bodybuilder without enhancement, so don't worry about that. There is also no such thing as "toning" it is either building muscle or losing fat to increase definition. You also can't spot reduce fat, it comes out of the whole system.

The thing you should look at is what your goal is, losing weight or building muscle. Beginners can do both, but eventually you have to specialize towards one or the other. The next is, make your nutrition match what you want (i.e. lose weight, eat at a caloric deficit) and find an exercise routine that points you towards your goal. Lastly, stick with it, don't get exercise or diet ADD and you will see results. Oh and have fun.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Eat in a caloric deficit and lift weights. Preferably, get on an established lifting program because it will have been planned out by somebody who knows how to build a balanced program for beginners. Don't worry about looking like a bodybuilder. Bodybuilders work for years to look like bodybuilders, just like professional ballet dancers train at ballet for years to perfect their craft, electricians train to learn their craft, etc. Nobody ever woke up and was surprised to find out she was an expert plumber.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    armylife wrote: »
    As a woman you do not have the chemical make up to look like a bodybuilder without enhancement, so don't worry about that. There is also no such thing as "toning" it is either building muscle or losing fat to increase definition. You also can't spot reduce fat, it comes out of the whole system.

The thing you should look at is what your goal is, losing weight or building muscle. Beginners can do both, but eventually you have to specialize towards one or the other. The next is, make your nutrition match what you want (i.e. lose weight, eat at a caloric deficit) and find an exercise routine that points you towards your goal. Lastly, stick with it, don't get exercise or diet ADD and you will see results. Oh and have fun.

This.
    You will not get bulky. Just search the forum for a thread called weightlifting made me supah bulky.
    Also, you can not build muscle on a defecit. At most you will preserve existing muscle. Muscle that might become visible as you decrease your fat percentage...
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    shrinking fat is all down to calories.. You have to put yourself in a deficit to lose. Then you need to lift weights to shape them and build some muscle.