Question about HRM with chest straps

Options
Parmcat
Parmcat Posts: 268 Member
I am looking at getting a HRM, and think it may be the Polar FT4. I understand it comes with a chest strap. I am curious about comfort, as well as how big they expand to. I am a big guy, and don't want to have to return it if the strap doesn't fit. I wear a 54 suit jacket.

Thanks

Replies

• Parmcat
    Parmcat Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I have it and hate it...do the ft7
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 and the chest strap is very much adjustable. Love it!
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    The straps are elastic and adjust. Ask the person where you buy it at if you can try on the strap before buying it. Then you will know it will fit you. I find it comfortable I do need to be careful where the tag is because it has rubbed me wrong and left a scratch but I do wear it doing all of my exercise which includes running, and weight lifting. I love my HR as now I know how many calories I am burning.
  • resistance_freak
    Options
    I have the FT7, and the strap is very comfortable. I'm not as big as you, but I have no doubt it would fit you.

I should also say that I feel like I need it for every workout now to know how much I'm burning! I love my HRM! I love knowing how many cals I'm burning off!
  • BackToFree
    BackToFree Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 and the chest strap fits me at not even the biggest extension, and I'm about 320lbs. I found it annoying at first, but once I got used to it, it was fine. I wear mine every time I work out and don't have any issues at all.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 and love it. I measure the length of the strap at 40 inches, although it is elastic. I just checked Heart Rate Monitors USA. You can get the FT4 with an XXXL strap (45-60 inches). There you go! It's a great tool to track your workouts and keep you motivated to hit your goal calories or set new records for your workouts.
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 and absolutely love it. I don't know about the FT4 but they are close in price so get the updated one. It is so easy to use and I don't even think about it being on my body when I am lifting weights or doing cardio. It stays in place and I love the accuracy. I say DO IT! Remember to wet the plastic part of the strap right before putting it on. I also rinse the strap after exercise and hang it up to dry. I wipe the back of the watch off with a damp cloth to remove the sweat and the snap thingy that goes on the strap just to make sure it lasts a long time. Not necessary though. I think you will love it! I love seeing those calories climb and my heart rate rise too!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I have the ft4 and it is very adjustable/stretchy. Love it!
  • iconnor
    iconnor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 and like it a lot better than my Garmin. I use it mostly for cardio, but found that the metal adjuster on the side rubs me til I chafe, but I put athletic tape on the metal part and it doesn't do that any more. It picks up my heart rate great, and if I'm on the treadmill the machine will pick up my heart rate automatically so I don't have to hold on to the handles! Bonus!
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4, an underbust size of 36" and my M-XXL strap is near its longest. Or that might be because my husband decided to use it for arm toning earlier. Grumble. Anyway, it sounds like you can get a bigger strap.

By the way, I love mine, but it does occasionally lose contact with transmitter.
  • judtod
    judtod Posts: 85
    Options
    I have it and it is very comfortable.