When will energy increase?

Options
I made a very conscious health change a little less than 2 months ago and have been eating mostly really healthy foods, staying within my calorie goals, working out, drinking tons of water, and just taking better care of myself. That being said, my energy level has not increased at all. I feel tired most of the time. Before, I would eat way too many calories of complete junk food and did not exercise. I was hoping my energy would increase by now. It may just be my life, as I work full time while in grad school full time plus a 5 year old with numerous weekly activities and homework, but I'm just always TIRED. Most nights I go to sleep by 9:00 pm and if I can fit a nap in on the weekends, I do.

Long story short, how long did it take for you to notice an increase in energy levels? I have no health conditions that would make me tired, ftr.

Replies

• TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    How sure are you that you have no health conditions? Have you been tested for low thyroid? What your describing sounds very much like hypothyroidism.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above, but also, have you cut calories a lot. If I don't get enough calories for several days straight, I am exhausted
  • beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have. I guess I shouldn't say that I am ALWAYS tired, but I don't feel any more energy than I did when I was eating crap foods and not exercising.
  • sarahdayski
    sarahdayski Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Im not surprised your tired you are working, exercising and looking after a little one. Make sure you are eating enough and try to eat back some of your exercise calories. I found i was tired to start with esp with the increase in exercise, i try and eat plenty of protein and over time you find your energy increases.
  • beth0277
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    Agree with the above, but also, have you cut calories a lot. If I don't get enough calories for several days straight, I am exhausted

I have cut them a lot compared to what I was eating but I am still eating 1500 calories a day and pretty nutritious foods so I don't think I'm not getting enough.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    At first guess, I'd say your calories are simply overall too low. I know that if my average deficit is greater than 500 calories per day, then my ability to keep up with my exercise plummets.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Im not sure why you expect increased energy. I know that mine never increased- it's just the same as it was when I ate more junk.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Agree with above, if you're lucky enough to have good healthcare coverage, maybe even get tested for food allergies and such. Couldn't hurt. Maybe something still in your diet is an issue.
  • beth0277
    Options
    Im not sure why you expect increased energy. I know that mine never increased- it's just the same as it was when I ate more junk.

I guess I've just read so much on here talking about how much better people feel when they make similar improvements and how their energy increases.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    beth0277 wrote: »
    I made a very conscious health change a little less than 2 months ago and have been eating mostly really healthy foods, staying within my calorie goals, working out, drinking tons of water, and just taking better care of myself. That being said, my energy level has not increased at all. I feel tired most of the time. Before, I would eat way too many calories of complete junk food and did not exercise. I was hoping my energy would increase by now. It may just be my life, as I work full time while in grad school full time plus a 5 year old with numerous weekly activities and homework, but I'm just always TIRED. Most nights I go to sleep by 9:00 pm and if I can fit a nap in on the weekends, I do.

Long story short, how long did it take for you to notice an increase in energy levels? I have no health conditions that would make me tired, ftr.

Exercise and a healthy diet can't compensate for not getting enough sleep.

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

I guess I've just read so much on here talking about how much better people feel when they make similar improvements and how their energy increases.

Mine increased when I started eating healthier and exercising, those two things made me sleep better which made me less tired. However you do have more on your plate than me.
  • 123juliaj123
    123juliaj123 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I presume your iron levels are ok? since you say there are no health issues..I know I was constantly exhausted and was diagnosed with low iron and once I got that sorted out I was feeling better in just a couple of weeks - the difference was amazing.

BTW dont just take iron tablets unless you know that you need them as they can do more harm than good unless you are actually lacking iron
  • beth0277
    Options

Exercise and a healthy diet can't compensate for not getting enough sleep.

I think I get plenty of sleep. I sleep from probably 9-5am every night. Sometimes I may stay up until 10:00 but that's still 8 hours/night on average.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I replace junk with lots of veg it helps my digestive transit. I feel less bloated and heavy and so am more likely to be active.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    If my energy increased, the increased energy got spent in the increased exercise.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It took a week or two. My first workouts kicked my butt. I was exhausted afterwards. One time, I walked into the house, kept walking to the bedroom, lied down and fell asleep the second my head hit the pillow. But after a couple weeks, I had more energy than ever.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Some good ideas here. It could be lack of sleep, or lack of exercise, or stress. It could be low iron. That's what it was for me. (But a few warnings here: Don't rely on the values in your food diary since most MFP database entries are inaccurate when it comes to micronutrients -- get tested via a blood test. And don't take an iron supplement unless specifically prescribed by your doctor. Low iron could be a sign of other health issues, and your doctor will need to rule out potentially more serious causes. Consult a doctor.)

It could simply be too big a calorie deficit. What do you have MFP set to? If it's more than 1lb/week, try lowering it to a more reasonable deficit, and make sure you're eating back at least half of your exercise calories.

tl;dr First get checked by a doc to rule out any health issues. Then make sure you're eating and sleeping enough.
  • beth0277
    Options
    If my energy increased, the increased energy got spent in the increased exercise.

That could be a possibility since I have been working out without dreading it for the first time in my life. I've had the energy to do that, which I have never noticed before.
  • beth0277
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Some good ideas here. It could be lack of sleep, or lack of exercise, or stress. It could be low iron. That's what it was for me. (But a few warnings here: Don't rely on the values in your food diary since most MFP database entries are inaccurate when it comes to micronutrients -- get tested via a blood test. And don't take an iron supplement unless specifically prescribed by your doctor. Low iron could be a sign of other health issues, and your doctor will need to rule out potentially more serious causes. Consult a doctor.)

It could simply be too big a calorie deficit. What do you have MFP set to? If it's more than 1lb/week, try lowering it to a more reasonable deficit, and make sure you're eating back at least half of your exercise calories.

tl;dr First get checked by a doc to rule out any health issues. Then make sure you're eating and sleeping enough.

Could be anxiety, which has been a battle for me lately.