Do vegetables matter as far as portion control ?

Options
2»

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »

Having said that, very few people are overweight because they ate too many green beans.

Though, as someone pointed out above, for someone like my mother-in-law who douses green beans with about a stick of butter (and yes, they are DELICIOUS!) it might be possible for them to have a significant impact on your calorie count.

Green beans can never be delicious. They may be edible when deep fried, but never delicious. ;)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Yes. Of course. I'm also sceptical of people who eat huge volumes of low cal foods. I'm sure I read that continual over stretching of the stomach leads to less sensitivity to the hormonal signal for fullness - so in the end you always need huge volumes of food in order to feel full.

I'm not sure that volume eaters are eating "huge" volumes of food - enough to stretch the stomach and mess up their satiety signal. I consider my mom to be a volume eater and in the past few decades she's hovered just above underweight.

@PeachyCarol - I seem to remember that you are a volume eater - care to weight in?

I used to be a volume eater, not so much any more. I haven't read the full topic, but I disagree that volume eaters, by definition, are messing with their satiety signals. There's far too much scope in the sorts of volume eaters to categorically state this is the case.

When I ate for volume, I ate lower fat and higher volumes of vegetables. The thing was, there was an intrinsic limit on the amount of food I ate because I was also counting calories. The supposition that I, as a volume eater, had to be eating HUGE volumes of food, would have been false, due to the limiting factor of overall caloric intake being factored in.

Those darn confounding factors will get you every time!

I still tend to bulk my meals with veggies, but came to find that I needed higher levels of fat to feel sated. I eat lower volume now, but can and do still eat relatively large portions of veggies... not so much as a volume thing, but as a macro choice. I'd rather have 120 calories of broccoli with my veggie patty than 20 calories of broccoli and 100 calories of potato.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    IMO, the risks involved with eating fruits and veggies seem less risky than those involved with skipping them. Obviously, this is something everyone would have to decide for themselves, but I'll stick with the fruits and veggies.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    IMO, the risks involved with eating fruits and veggies seem less risky than those involved with skipping them. Obviously, this is something everyone would have to decide for themselves, but I'll stick with the fruits and veggies.

Wait, who is talking about skipping fruits and vegetables? I think the question is "should we log the calories in fruits and vegetables and consider them as part of our total energy consumption for the day?"
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I do. I dont weigh food. Just log in amounT. Every bite matters because of low calorie goal.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I log everything, including fruits and vegetables. Today I'm eating about 200 calories worth of vegetables and 100 of fruit - it adds up!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, I weigh and log my veggies just like everything else. Because I needed logging my food to become a HABIT. Once something is a habit, it doesn't take as much discipline and control to do it consistently. And if I always had some food I measure and log, and some food I don't, I don't think it would ever have become a habit.

Just my 2 cents :) Good luck!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    They matter yes, as they have calories, but very little, so nice to fill up on!
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I log my vegetables because I eat them for 2/3 of meals. With the vegetables I eat, it can be anywhere from 60-120 calories each day. Now if I don't log them, I think I have an extra 60-120 calories that I can fill with other foods. Being so close to my goal, that extra 60-120 calories over my goal would really slow down my weightloss and I would be wondering why (well, if I didn't know better).

My mother once questioned why I was weighing my vegetables, worried that logging even "healthy" food was the start of a bad relationship with food. I simply told her I wasn't worried about the calories in the vegetables but wanted to know how much icecream I could have afterwards. Was a great way to put her mind at ease that's for sure haha.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    i weigh and log my veggies they still have calories
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of green beans and I'll tell you it takes a LOT of green beans to even be close to 100 calories. Of course that number can be higher if you drench them in butter or oil. But steamed...they are very low in calories. I can't imagine someone having a portion control problem with green beans. Really...how many green beans could you be eatting in one sitting to make it a problem? I eat a huge pile of green beans almost every night and they are good for your body and very low in calories. Roll them around in the juice of your chicken or your steak, sprinkle a little garlic salt and pepper on them....yummie.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Well i log everything to see nutrition breakdown.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yes. Of course. I'm also sceptical of people who eat huge volumes of low cal foods. I'm sure I read that continual over stretching of the stomach leads to less sensitivity to the hormonal signal for fullness - so in the end you always need huge volumes of food in order to feel full.

Good question. I'm a volume eater but honestly for me it just depends on the time of the month. Some days I get surprised and get full on a pretty small amount of food - and obviously what I eat makes a difference too - but some days I can eat 300g of cauliflower and I'm still hungry.

OP, I eat a lot of veggies. It matters a bit, but obviously when a serving is 30 calories, even if you're off, you're still only off by 10-20 calories. I did eat 167 calories of veggies yesterday though, so it does add up... especially if you add butter, oil, cheese etc...

That being said, some veggies, like peas, have a pretty high amount of calories, so you got to watch out too...

I've been a volume eater for probably 8 years. I don't know if my satiety signals aren't right because my foods are planned, weighed, and portioned before I even eat them. I always finish my plate, though!
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    They matter yes, as they have calories, but very little, so nice to fill up on!

Exactly. If they are canned you could be looking at high amounts of sodium unless you buy sodium free.
  • rajanveer
    rajanveer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    They do but u can't overeat them , If u add them into ur main meals even without counting it's hard to eat more than 100 calorie worth. They should be part of everyone's diet when cutting as they get u full with less calories n lots of added vitamins. .
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    um yes, of course.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I had green beans steamed for dinner tonight; I was actually surprised at the calories per volume. I had just over 2 servings for 70 calories. In all honestly, I could have easily eaten another 2+ servings. 4+ servings would have been close to 150 calories. Definitely more calories than I would have thought.