Walk a shelter dog

Options
Just an idea if you like dogs:
-- A lot of people need exercise ideas and a lot of people say they overeat when they have nothing to do.

Many pet rescue organizations need volunteers to help with the animals. Dogs, in particular, need to be walked.
Wins all around if you volunteer to walk a dog: 1) You get exercise. 2) You get something to keep from being bored. 3)The dog gets exercise and attention.

(and if the dog is big and strong and not leash-trained, you'll get a lot of upper body exercise too. :D )

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    what a great idea.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Fantastic idea. I have my own that needs lots of exercise but know all of the SPCA and rescue dog shelters around our area are looking for volunteers. One has a nearby fantastic river front park that stretches on for miles. If I didn't have one I'd totally pick up on your suggestion.

In fact I give my dog - she is herself a rescue dog - a big amount of credit for saving my life. She's now run almost 2,000 kilometers with me since I started getting my health and weight back in order last September. Mission accomplished and then some!

With that said, it's time me and Kady headed out for our run. :smile:
    IMG_20150610_155011.jpg

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Great suggestion. I hope people take it! :)
    I used to work at an animal shelter, so I know just how helpful it is to have volunteers walk the dogs. And the dogs love getting outside. They need it!
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Oh I was thinking the other day about doing that, but I can't because right now I simply can't have a dog and I am sure I would end up forgetting that fact...repeatedly.
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Fantastic idea. I have my own that needs lots of exercise but know all of the SPCA and rescue dog shelters around our area are looking for volunteers. One has a nearby fantastic river front park that stretches on for miles. If I didn't have one I'd totally pick up on your suggestion.

In fact I give my dog - she is herself a rescue dog - a big amount of credit for saving my life. She's now run almost 2,000 kilometers with me since I started getting my health and weight back in order last September. Mission accomplished and then some!

With that said, it's time me and Kady headed out for our run. :smile:
    IMG_20150610_155011.jpg

What a beautiful dog!

• must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Fith that said, it's time me and Kady headed out for our run. :smile:
    [
    Pretty puppy!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Thanks, she is a lovely dog. Just a mutt but a lovely mutt! A great running / hiking buddy. Totally content at home, never gets into mischief.

Squirrel obsessed though. :smile:
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    @mwyvr
    beautiful dog, beautiful location

my dogs will kill me if I'll try to run with them, impossible to control them! :lol:

there are lots of unlucky dogs looking for love and a walk would be an excellent starting point
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    That's such a great idea. Our local shelter is always looking for people to walk the dogs. If they get leash trained and used to going for walks, they are also more likely to be adopted. I've got 3 staffies (of which two are rescues) and they are very high energy and needs to be walked daily. I love walking with them - always have to throw sticks and play fetch. Ends up to be a good workout!
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Thanks, she is a lovely dog. Just a mutt but a lovely mutt! A great running / hiking buddy. Totally content at home, never gets into mischief.

Squirrel obsessed though. :smile:

Nothing better than a mutt. Healthier, too.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    A great idea! I too would enjoy something like that if not for already having a pretty darn good canine running partner.

fwit7om61c84.jpeg
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    This is such a great idea!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    What a lovely idea, my avvie is our rescue dog and when we got her she was in an awful state. Now she happily runs 10k through the fells :)