Nothing is Happening

Options

Replies

• CaseyGwaltney
    CaseyGwaltney Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yea I would do the quick add when I was just entering in the calories off the back of something.
  • leighloh
    leighloh Posts: 25 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Nope leighloh! i dont even hold my phone during my workouts so it doesnt count any of those calories burned i guess. Idk if thats a good or bad thing.

That might be the issue. You are already eating very little, so you might be having problems because you are not eating enough calories back after your workouts.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I eat too many at 1250????

You're quick adding a lot of random calories. Where are those coming from? Are you absolutely certain that's how much you've taken in?

They've done studies - most people underestimate what they're eating if they guestimate by sight (even dietitians were tested on this idea - and they failed to quantify their food portions accurately as well). If you're not weighing your food, there's no real way to tell that you're actually taking in 1250 calories a day.

Also, you have some cup measurements on your diary. Measuring solids that can vary in weight due to water, mass, or air content is a bad idea. I made this mistake with rice at first. A "cup" of rice can vary by 75 calories each time you pour it, based on how tightly you pack it, what kind of rice it is, etc. The rule of thumb idea is to weigh solids and reserve cups, tbs, etc... measurements to liquids.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Just a quick peek at your diary...your logging is all over the place and guaranteed, you are eating more than you think you are.
    Dianne's post is awesome, and bang on.

Get that food scale, and take the time to log correctly, it makes a huge difference.
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    leighloh wrote: »
    Nope leighloh! i dont even hold my phone during my workouts so it doesnt count any of those calories burned i guess. Idk if thats a good or bad thing.

That might be the issue. You are already eating very little, so the issue might be that you are not eating enough calories back after your workouts.

And even if she did eat too little, she'd still lose weight.

Starvation mode happens for actually starving people. You know, the ones that are dying. Starvation mode isn't the body conjuring calories out of thin air to make someone stay fat.
  • CaseyGwaltney
    Options
    I understand. For rice when it says one cup. I literally take a measuring cup and use 1. So i think that one is correct.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You are getting some really good advice here. The issue is your logging, you are likely eating much more than you think.

What is "1 spread" of peanut butter? (I had peanut butter today, weighed it out, and it was 190 calories). The Subway sandwich you entered -- how do you know that the person who made that entry chose the same topping and condiments as you did? Does that include cheese? My avocados come in all different sizes -- without weighing it out, how do you know that your 1/2 avocado isn't larger than usual? Are you really eating plain egg whites without anything at all (no oil used to cook?)? "Katie's homemade chicken salad" -- did you make that entry? If not, how do you know the recipe the person used and if it was close to yours?
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Only use cups or spoons for liquids. It's not a good measurement system.
  • leighloh
    leighloh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    siluridae wrote: »
    leighloh wrote: »

That might be the issue. You are already eating very little, so the issue might be that you are not eating enough calories back after your workouts.

And even if she did eat too little, she'd still lose weight.

Starvation mode happens for actually starving people. You know, the ones that are dying. Starvation mode isn't the body conjuring calories out of thin air to make someone stay fat.

It was just an idea :smile:

• CaseyGwaltney
    Options
    the peanut butter i did one tablespoon (measured) and only used half of that for my rice cake. Thats why i called it one spread.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    the peanut butter i did one tablespoon (measured) and only used half of that for my rice cake. Thats why i called it one spread.

Did the person who created the "1 spread" unit of measurement mean half a tablespoon?

A tablespoon isn't an accurate way to measure peanut butter. If you use a measuring spoon, you are likely eating more than you think. A scale should be used for peanut butter.
  • CaseyGwaltney
    Options
    Like I said in the beginning of this post, I am new to this! Yes i understand I am probably doing a million things wrong.

I used the term tablespoon because thats what it said on the back of the jar. 1 tablespoon = blah blah
  • ManiacalLaugh
    Options

Did the person who created the "1 spread" unit of measurement mean half a tablespoon?

A tablespoon isn't an accurate way to measure peanut butter. If you use a measuring spoon, you are likely eating more than you think. A scale should be used for peanut butter.

Yep. PB's tricky because it does tow the line between liquid and solid. However, since it's so calorie-dense, it's worth weighing it to be sure.

Buy a cheap scale and try weighing for just a day or two. Since your diet is relatively static, you'd probably only need a sampling of a few days to see if measurement accuracy is the source of your problem. If you weigh and log accurately for a handful of days and end up getting a significant difference from your diary as it is now, then you've identified the cause of your stall. If it works out the same, then that narrows it out.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Like I said in the beginning of this post, I am new to this! Yes i understand I am probably doing a million things wrong.

I used the term tablespoon because thats what it said on the back of the jar. 1 tablespoon = blah blah

But you have no idea of the "1 spread" unit of measurement in MFP relates to how it measured on the back of your jar. You're attaching a guess to a guess and, if you're doing this multiple times a day (and your diary indicates that you are), then you could be off by hundreds of calories in a week, enough to impact your weight loss.

This is why so many people recommend to measure solids by WEIGHT, so that you can more accurately understand what you're eating.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    The way I used to "measure" peanut butter: fit as much as possible on a dinner spoon and call that a tablespoon.

The way I've learned from people on MFP: weight the whole jar of peanut butter, tare the scale, take your serving, then weight the jar again. The negative number you see is how much you've eaten.

HUGE difference :)
  • CaseyGwaltney
    Options
    I called it 1 spread in terms of 1/2 a tablespoon....mybad
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yah but that one cup are you logging what kind of rice? Prepared or dry? Are you logging condiments? How will you know with quick adds you have no idea...When I look at my nutrition over time with precise counting I can see what I need to back off of. A pattern of too much salt or fat. When done correctly you will see results. Try it for one month. If that don't work I would contact a nutritionist or have your thyroid checked.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The way I used to "measure" peanut butter: fit as much as possible on a dinner spoon and call that a tablespoon.

The way I've learned from people on MFP: weight the whole jar of peanut butter, tare the scale, take your serving, then weight the jar again. The negative number you see is how much you've eaten.

HUGE difference :)

That's such a neat little trick. I'm ashamed that it took me so long to learn it. Before, I'd weigh the spoon without the PB, then tar it out and weigh it with the PB.... and of course, I'd have PB all over my scale by the time I was done. Really, I felt kind of dumb when that eureka moment happened and I figured it out.
  • CaseyGwaltney
    Options
    Brown rice, uncooked. When I eat a meal, I haven't been using any condiments. Except on my subway.
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    Options
    This video gets posted a lot... a good visualization of why you should use a food scale vs relying on measuring cups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY