Head aches, but from what?

Options
Hey guys. I'm currently at 155lbs and have been losing weight since May. Lost a good 20 pounds, which is good. Anyway my diet consists of high protein and fat and lower carbohydrates which can range from 40 - 170grams per day depending on what's going on. I try and drink plenty of water during the day and am managing around 1300 - 1700 calories per day total in order to lose the weight plus I weight train 3 times per week and do cardio 2 - 4 times per week.

So that about briefly sums up my situation, now to the question. What's been causing my head aches for the past few days? Is it lack of water as lately I've not been having as much due to work? Or is it simply being on too low calorie for too long? Any input would be great thanks!

Replies

• holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    dont' know but i have the same problem. Been having terribale headaches and I know I am drinking enough water. Been only losing for two weeks. But my Cal restriction is 1200-1300 (been meeting that). If anyone knows a reason that would be great!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Possibly lack of sodium, especially if flushed out by too much water with restricted carb intake.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Have you given up on caffeinated drinks? :grey_question:
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    ? Who knows?! Could be many things from allergies/hunger/stress? If they are horrible and new onset and don't get better soon go see a dr, especially if you normally don't have headaches or haven't changed anything in your routine.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You are a 22 yo male eating 1300-1700 calories per day? Eat more.

(How tall are you btw?)
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It could be lack of water, could be stress, could be low calories... try downing the water and do some gentle stretching/meditating-type stuff for a few days and see if it helps. And also, you're a young guy and eat about the same amount of calories as this 43-year-old woman... I'm betting you burn more than I do. Eat up, my friend.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If you have just started working out just recently it can be your back adjusting to the new strains.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I agree with yarwell. It's very likely a lack of sodium. Have some chicken broth, or put a little salt in a glass of water and drink it and see if you feel better. If it helps that was the problem.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    The minimum you should be consuming is 1500 calories. That being said, dehydration? Caffeine withdrawals?
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    When it comes to headaches for me the usual culprits are:
    1. Not enough water.
    2. Eating too few carbs: I need a minimum of 35% of daily intake to be carbs to feel good.
    3. Not eating enough calories. I need 1650 net calories minimum. I usually net 1800 calories with medium physical activity and eating back exercise calories.

So I would look to water intake first and go from there.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    water,,, drink lots and lots..
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    It could be sinuses from the weather changing or a host of many things.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live it might be allergies. Ragweed causes the majority of my headaches :/
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If I drink too much water and don't get enough salt I get headaches. But you mentioned you are not getting as much water as usual. Have you made any diet changes recently?
  • KaneWorth
    KaneWorth Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Have you given up on caffeinated drinks? :grey_question:

No I still have coffee once or twice a day :)
  • KaneWorth
    Options
    momasox wrote: »
    If I drink too much water and don't get enough salt I get headaches. But you mentioned you are not getting as much water as usual. Have you made any diet changes recently?

Well yes and no, I mean I upped my fat intake and lowered my carbs slightly but the calories are the same. I felt better from that. But with work commitments I can't drink enough during the day it's not cramped into small time frames
  • KaneWorth
    Options
    Depending on where you live it might be allergies. Ragweed causes the majority of my headaches :/

Possibly but I've never been allergic to anything
  • KaneWorth
    Options
    It could be sinuses from the weather changing or a host of many things.

This may be it actually, it is getting very cold here but in some days it's still warm, British weather is terrible lol
  • KaneWorth
    Options
    When it comes to headaches for me the usual culprits are:
    1. Not enough water.
    2. Eating too few carbs: I need a minimum of 35% of daily intake to be carbs to feel good.
    3. Not eating enough calories. I need 1650 net calories minimum. I usually net 1800 calories with medium physical activity and eating back exercise calories.

So I would look to water intake first and go from there.

This is what I initially thought so I will be doing this, thanks for the advice :)
  • KaneWorth
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    The minimum you should be consuming is 1500 calories. That being said, dehydration? Caffeine withdrawals?

Can't be caffeine as I never have much anyway and I've not cut out my daily coffee intake really, it could be the calorie thing though