What is a safe amount to lose per week if you need to lose 100+ lbs?

Options
I am just curious and I love to read all the comment that are on here. Realistically I want to lose about 150 lbs. I have lost 50 + since March. Right now, I am averaging about 3 lbs per week. I eat 1800-1900 calories per day. Usually closer to 1800 and I walk 2 miles a day at least five times per week.
Recently I feel that 1800 calories is not really necessary, so I may cut out 100-200 calories per day. Only if I feel that I am full at the end of the day.
I appreciate any positive feedback.

Replies

• cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome. I believe that the recommended rate is 2 lbs per week.
    Congrats on your loss!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Awesome loss woman! Usually 2 pounds a week is good.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    I am just curious and I love to read all the comment that are on here. Realistically I want to lose about 150 lbs. I have lost 50 + since March. Right now, I am averaging about 3 lbs per week. I eat 1800-1900 calories per day. Usually closer to 1800 and I walk 2 miles a day at least five times per week.
    Recently I feel that 1800 calories is not really necessary, so I may cut out 100-200 calories per day. Only if I feel that I am full at the end of the day.
    I appreciate any positive feedback.

You sound like you're on the right track. Congrats on the loss so far! Two pounds is doable for someone with 100 lbs to lose. You can always re-evaluate your hunger level and consider setting the goal lower or higher, but I remember averaging 2 lbs a week quite easily when I had that much to lose.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You don't say how much you currently weigh or your height. I am also 45 years old and I started out at 254 pounds with 125 pounds to lose. I have been doing this since April and I have been losing about 2 pounds per week. Now that I'm below 200 pounds it will slow down to about 1 1/2 pounds per week. As I get closer to my goal my rate of loss will slow down even more. But that's OK. I've lost 57 pounds so far and I think I can keep the 1.5 pounds per week rate of loss until I get down to about 170. The last 40 pounds I'm figuring about 1 pound per week rate and probably even less for that last 15 pounds or so. Your rate of loss should be at what ever pace you are comfortable with. I honestly believe it should feel easy to do. If you're struggling too much then raise your calorie intake so you're not tempted to quit. If you feel its super easy to do than go ahead and cut back a little to speed up the pace. Whatever you do...don't starve yourself and go hungry. If you're hungry eat....if you work out a lot...eat. But if you feel comfortable cutting back more than go ahead...just listen to what your body has to say. If you start experiencing hair loss or fatigue then you're cutting back too much. Do whatever pace you're body is comfortable with.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Two pounds a week is very, very conservative for someone with 100 pounds to lose. Very conservative. Overly conservative, unless you are having hunger or energy issues. Imo.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I've gone from 337 to 277, at a rate of a little over 3 lbs per week..so far (5 months) I've not exerienced any I'll effects, and continue to see the positive side of losing weight. Good luck to you!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Awesome loss! This place usually suggests 2lbs/wk but as I am sure you are already aware the fat comes off easy when you have a lot to lose. I wouldn't worry about faster weightloss so long as you are feeling ok.

For refrence I'm 5'8" and 53lbs down from 235 to 181 and eating 1450kcal/day. I'm set to lose 1.5lbs/wk. When I actually do well and lose its between 2-3lbs at a time without feeling woozy or awful. If I set to lose 2lbs/wk it puts me at 1250kcal and get hangry
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    It sounds as though you are losing weight well at the calories you are eating at the moment.
    Have you reassessed your calorie need since you lost the 50? Do so

If it says to drop it, drop it. If not keep on with the calories you have now. Later, as you get closer to your goal and you have to really tighten your cals/ logging, you may be very grateful of 100 extra calories to play with.
    As mentioned above the loss drops off , and the calories get less, as you get closer to your goal.

Cheers, h.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing great! Keep it up!!! :)
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Anything up to 2lbs per week :]

Having said that, you are likely to experience a bit of whoooosh in the first 4 weeks!
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing quite well! I've lost 84 pounds (and still need to lose at least another 80), and from my experience, the first 55 or so melted off. I was losing about 12 pounds a month. After a few months, that slowed down considerably. So, I would say, expect to lose quite quickly in the beginning, then have it slow down to 1, 1.5 pounds a week.

You can do it!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My doctor said that until I was out of the morbidly obese category, that I should focus on getting the weight down as quick as possible. She said that the weight was way more dangerous to my health than rapid loss. Once I enter the regular obese category slowing the pace to 2 pounds a week is better.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    If you're not constantly hungry, light headed, etc, then lose at whatever rate you (and your doctor) feel is appropriate. You and I both have a long road. I'm 6'6" and started at 300+lbs so I tend to do things bigger than normal people anyway. 4lbs loss on a solid week without slipping or cheating was normal for me. The more you have to lose, the faster you can get away with losing it because you're burning a lot of calories just living and moving around hauling 150lbs of extra weight.

Here's a fun thing for people who have lost a significant amount of weight. Try filling a backpack up with how much you lost and see what it feels like to carry it even a short distance.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Don't cut your calories any more than you need to because it will slow your metabolism more. 3 pound loss a week is still very good. Be happy with that. Its going to be a long journey however way you look at it. There's no point in rushing, it will just create complications further along.

You are doing this for life remember. You will never be able to go back to eating the way you used to if you want to keep this off for every.

Take it easy, sensibly and moderately. Enjoy it. If you feel you are not so hungry, then you can eat food iwth higher calories. You might as well becuase there will come time soon enough when you won't have such freedom.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Also don't get into a thing of increasing your activity becuase it can become a treadmill you cannot get off iwthout buggering up all your hard won progress. Moderate exercise is best for sustainability. When you are close to your goal weight you can work in increasing your fitness but its not a good idea to keep upping the time committment.

You see when you stop exercising you have to cut your calories and that is when a lot of people panic becuase you wont want to cut your calories straight away. You will still be as hungry as someone who exercises for a little while.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Two pounds a week is very, very conservative for someone with 100 pounds to lose. Very conservative. Overly conservative, unless you are having hunger or energy issues. Imo.

I agree, three to four, absent massive stress, an overly busy life, or some sort of health issue, is doable. But it doesn't have to be done. Slower with a lower deficit is fine if that's what keeps a person sane and on track.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Also don't get into a thing of increasing your activity becuase it can become a treadmill you cannot get off iwthout buggering up all your hard won progress. Moderate exercise is best for sustainability. When you are close to your goal weight you can work in increasing your fitness but its not a good idea to keep upping the time committment.

You see when you stop exercising you have to cut your calories and that is when a lot of people panic becuase you wont want to cut your calories straight away. You will still be as hungry as someone who exercises for a little while.

Aside from injury, what would be the reason to stop exercising?
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »

I took that to mean "when you stop exercising to the extreme" or something like that. Kind of like not going on a weird/strict/restrictive "diet" but instead trying to change our way of eating to something that's sustainable. I think people -- I'd be one of those, because I hate to exercise -- might think "okay I'll exercise two hours every single day until I lose these 50 pounds, then I can cut back". Better for people like me would be to do it in smaller doses that I have a chance of sustaining even after I've lost weight to my goal.

That's how I interpreted it anyway. :)
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »

I took that to mean "when you stop exercising to the extreme" or something like that. Kind of like not going on a weird/strict/restrictive "diet" but instead trying to change our way of eating to something that's sustainable. I think people -- I'd be one of those, because I hate to exercise -- might think "okay I'll exercise two hours every single day until I lose these 50 pounds, then I can cut back". Better for people like me would be to do it in smaller doses that I have a chance of sustaining even after I've lost weight to my goal.

That's how I interpreted it anyway. :)

Ahh, i see. Thank you for providing clarity
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. I am pleased with my progress. I was just curious. I feel pretty good. I know its a process, but I guess I just get a little anxious. I exercise because I feel better when I do and I can see the changes in my body. I am by no means starving myself. Some days at the end of the day if I am full I may cut out 100 calories or so and some days I may eat 100 calories over my 1800. I will just continue on the road I am on.