Recommendation for home cardio machine

Options
WBB55
WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
My doctor has recommended I buy a cardio/full body workout machine for home for the winter to treat some physical issues I have. I've been running, but she thinks I probably would do better with a bike or elliptical (lower impact on my joints). I've used machines somewhat like this at the gym and have enjoyed them. Can anyone recommend one they've bought and use at home? I can spend about $1000.

Replies

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I bought a floor model XBU-55 spirit upright bike ($750cash) 18 months ago and have lost 75 lbs using it and eating properly. Its very sturdy has a nice display easy to move and set up.. I highly recommend it..
  • ajesmum
    ajesmum Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No cardio equipment. I have a home gym and I workout (shredding) a 6-day split followed with HIIT using 12-minute athlete Iphone app or Bodyrock TV HIIT on youtube(it's free)! I have moderate osteoarthritis in both knees + large bakers cysts in both and get HA knee injections every 8-months. HIIT is more twice as effective for burning calories while long distance is not - then ya just spent $1k and taken up a lot of square footage. This works for me ... But perhaps you prefer equipment.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT on a recumbent bike, and that seems to work fine.

Really, you don't need anything too special for this. I like magnetic resistance compared to bands or flywheels because it's quiet - I can watch TV and actually hear it fine. That said, you could go on Craigslist and find a cheap exercise bike, which is how I got my first one.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I bought a Concept2 Rower and it has been good for me when I want to do some HIIT, it is raining and I can't run, or I am sore and need to loosen up.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    armylife wrote: »
    I bought a Concept2 Rower and it has been good for me when I want to do some HIIT, it is raining and I can't run, or I am sore and need to loosen up.

+1 on the C2. Great cardio and a full body workout.

The only real caveat with a rower is that you need to really focus on form initially but the C2's website has great videos and they have a great on-line log / challenges that help keep the motivation up.

• DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    armylife wrote: »

+1 on the C2. Great cardio and a full body workout.

The only real caveat with a rower is that you need to really focus on form initially but the C2's website has great videos and they have a great on-line log / challenges that help keep the motivation up.
    +2 on the C2. Nothing else like it.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Hmm. A rower... The injuries are in my neck and shoulders, so a rower would actually work them very effectively.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I don't have the room at the moment but if I did, it wold be a rower 100%. I love it. Low impact on my knees and ankles, great full body workout and I can go for longer and harder with it than running.
  • taunto_
    taunto_ Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The answer to this question should always be based on what you ENJOY as a workout. If you enjoy running indoors, treadmill. If eliptical or bike (I personally prefer stationary bike) is your thing, invest in that.

There are a million indoor gym solutions. I suggest pick what you think you could do for a long term while enjoying it. If you don't enjoy the workout, the likelihood of you not continuing that workout is high which would result in a wasted investment.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    kingtaunto wrote: »
    The answer to this question should always be based on what you ENJOY as a workout. If you enjoy running indoors, treadmill. If eliptical or bike (I personally prefer stationary bike) is your thing, invest in that.

There are a million indoor gym solutions. I suggest pick what you think you could do for a long term while enjoying it. If you don't enjoy the workout, the likelihood of you not continuing that workout is high which would result in a wasted investment.

I have to agree maybe join a gym for a month and figure out what you can do long term then buy that piece. I knew a bike was for me because I hated the treadmill and use mine 6 days a week just over 400 miles a months so well worth my investment..

• Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    kingtaunto wrote: »

I have to agree maybe join a gym for a month and figure out what you can do long term then buy that piece. I knew a bike was for me because I hated the treadmill and use mine 6 days a week just over 400 miles a months so well worth my investment..

This. You don't want to buy something you don't like doing.

I have an elliptical at home, bought it many years ago, but I don't really like using it anymore. I personally love running on a treadmill. That's what I wish I had now. If you want a great full body workout, a rower is a great option. It kicks my butt all the time at the gym. It's a love hate relationship though.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I also vote for HIIT, but if your set on a machine, make it a rowing machine!