Overexcersizing as form of OCD or other mental health issues

Options
rosebette
rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
edited September 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
This isn't a problem I have, but I've had an acquaintance who has an adult daughter who is eating normally, but is exercising all day long -- going on long bike rides, running long distances, using a treadmill all day at home. At this point, she is not even working at a job, just working out all day. Apparently, she looks great (of course she must be very fit), but the mom has some concerns about her mental health. I wonder if my son is also a bit like that. While he doesn't work out all day, he will occasionally be late to class or some other obligation, or miss family dinner because he feels he has to fit a workout into his day, no matter how busy. (He's the complete opposite of my husband and other son who are on the "couch potato" end of things.!) Can exercise go from a positive health habit to an obsession or even mental illness?

Replies

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Yes it can. Doesn't mean it will. Maybe they both belong in the fitness industry? He'll still have to go to class, though, for any degree with job security and to best help others, should he choose that path. And the girl will have to start taking classes.
  • rosebette
    Options
    Actually, my son is studying to become a physical therapist and is very much involved in fitness, body-building, etc. He has talked about becoming a personal trainer. I don't know about the young lady, since I just heard about her second hand from the mom. The young woman is definitely in the mid-20s, not a teen-ager.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Unless qualified professional assesses there's an issue, then at this point you chalk it up to just being dedicated. Many endurance athletes do what they do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Azuriaz
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    Actually, my son is studying to become a physical therapist and is very much involved in fitness, body-building, etc. He has talked about becoming a personal trainer. I don't know about the young lady, since I just heard about her second hand from the mom. The young woman is definitely in the mid-20s, not a teen-ager.

That's great for your son, I hope he manages to balance everything better. But I don't blame him for wanting to get that workout in, it's great for mood and cognition. As I'm sure he knows better than I do, since he's going into the field.
  • rosebette
    Options
    But what if working out gets in the way of meeting other responsibilities?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I do 2 to 3 hours hard, intense cardio. works for me.
  • Azuriaz
    Options

It's not unusual for people, especially young people, to have problems doing what they need to do that pays off later versus what they want to do that pays off now. I don't blame you for worrying about it, but with the info provided, in your son's case, at least, it doesn't sound like a mental issue having to do with overexercise.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about your son. I am somewhat worried about your friends daughter though. No one loves running on a treadmill that much. Outside running sure, it can be some people's zen but treadmill? Eating normal is subjective and not 24/7 monitored. Not saying this is the case for her but eating can be a guilt and so she works out to obsessive levels to counter it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    People do lots of things to get out of responsibilities. For example, a responsible healthy lifestyle would include exercise. I'm betting more average Americans don't exercise than do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Azuriaz
    Options
    All that said, we don't know your son. You do. So maybe your instincts and observations are correct that something is wrong even if you don't know exactly what or can't describe it in such a way as to make it clear what. Hopefully not, though!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »

It's not unusual for people, especially young people, to have problems doing what they need to do that pays off later versus what they want to do that pays off now. I don't blame you for worrying about it, but with the info provided, in your son's case, at least, it doesn't sound like a mental issue having to do with overexercise.

I agree with this, from the sounds of the OP.