CICO

Options
downa100
downa100 Posts: 184 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So when we say calories in <calories out, looking at the myfitnesspal, does this mean food should be < exercise and have a positive in the total???

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    no, if you've set the goals correctly the target food intake is the goal to hit. The deficit is built into the goal, not achieved by undershooting it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Food should be < TDEE
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    Options
    No, you don't exercise off more calories than you eat. You burn calories just by being and through your normal daily activities. All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit, you don't have to exercise to achieve this.
  • downa100
    Options
    No, you don't exercise off more calories than you eat. You burn calories just by being and through your normal daily activities. All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit, you don't have to exercise to achieve this.

So how do I know what's my caloric deficit. I work out and my UP JAWBONE shows total calories burnt so far is 1480
  • downa100
    Options
    Food should be < TDEE

Excuse my ignorance but is TDEE
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    Options
    downa100 wrote: »

So how do I know what's my caloric deficit. I work out and my UP JAWBONE shows total calories burnt so far is 1480

I don't own a Jawbone but I believe the number you see is your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), which includes the calories you burn from normal daily activities as well as your exercise. To create a calorie deficit, eat less than this number. How much less depends on how much you want to lose. The less weight you have to lose, the smaller your deficit should be.
  • downa100
    Options

I don't own a Jawbone but I believe the number you see is your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), which includes the calories you burn from normal daily activities as well as your exercise. To create a calorie deficit, eat less than this number. How much less depends on how much you want to lose. The less weight you have to lose, the smaller your deficit should be.

Where do I get the TDEE from
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Easiest way is to set a calorie goal by using MFP and log back some percentage of exercise calories or, since you have a Jawbone, have it sync with MFP. (That worked really well for me with my Fitbit.)
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    Options

Where do I get the TDEE from

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

This is the calculator I use. Just remember it is only an estimate. You can adjust your numbers based on the rate of your weight loss.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    TDEE is short for total daily energy expenditure, you can get an estimate on http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ for example, or http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    If you want to lose for example 1 pound per week, you eat 500 less than that TDEE you got. Bear in mind that with TDEE you don't eat back exercise calories, they're already calculated in.
  • downa100
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Ok so based on this calculator I have to eat 1661 to lose 1.2lbs/ week. So if I do 1000 I will lose more
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't go that low. It's bad for your health because it makes it hard to get proper nutrition in.
    How much weight do you have to lose?
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    Options
    Ok so based on this calculator I have to eat 1661 to lose 0.5lbs. So if I do 1000 I will lose more

1000 calories isn't a sustainable amount for anyone, let alone someone who is active. You should stick with the number it gives you, maybe slightly less to account for logging errors. 0.5 pounds a week will be a slow but sustainable amount of weight to lose assuming you don't have much to lose to begin with.
  • downa100
    Options
    I've lost 82 I still have 40. The first 25lbs I lost doing low carb, then my body stalled so I switched to 800-1000 calories a day. I lost a good 50lbs there, I then was talked into the 21 day fix. Been trying that since May and only lost 7 lbs since. I have been stalling again so I want to go back to my normal counting calories life style but 800 was too low that's why I'm trying to figure out something sustainable but won't plateau after a couple weeks
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss so far!

First, definitely ditch the 21 day fix. It's just a waste of money when you can lose weight for free by counting calories.

Second, I can tell you 800-1000 calories is way too low to get the nutrition you need and to give you the energy you need to get through the day. If you stall, you should reevaluate how accurate your logging is. If you're not losing weight, you are eating more than you think. Also, as you lose weight, your TDEE will get lower. It is best to adjust your calorie goal about every 5 pounds lost.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've lost 82 I still have 40. The first 25lbs I lost doing low carb, then my body stalled so I switched to 800-1000 calories a day. I lost a good 50lbs there, I then was talked into the 21 day fix. Been trying that since May and only lost 7 lbs since. I have been stalling again so I want to go back to my normal counting calories life style but 800 was too low that's why I'm trying to figure out something sustainable but won't plateau after a couple weeks

Have you been weighing all solid foods, and measuring all liquids? If not, then you may not have been eating as few calories as you expected. That could easily account for any plateaus.
  • downa100
    Options
    Yes that's right I have been guestemating
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    With 82 pounds down, you are already an expert. If you are looking to change things up for the last forty pounds, perhaps get a scale and start measuring and logging your portions. Some foods may surprise you.
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    Options
    Yes that's right I have been guestemating

That could be where the problem lies. Buy a food scale, weigh all your solid food, eat below your TDEE, and reevaluate in a month. You can adjust your calories up or down based on what you lost during that time.
  • downa100
    Options
    I have a digital scale will get it out and start weighing again. Thank you all for the information and support. I hope I will be done with my 40lbs soon. I will celebrate my 1 year in this new lifestyle in November, I know I won't be 40 lbs lighter then but I am hoping a little later maybe Christmas?