Shoot... I'm feeling down...

Options
Sooo today was my fifth week weigh-inn, and in total I have lost 5.2lbs so far (started at 248lbs, female, 31, 5'7)...and I'm feeling a little sidiscoursged because in reading posts from other people who have lost 10 some 15lbs in just 1 month.
My husband alone has lost 11.2lbs so far just after 4 weeks...

I do have hypothyroidism but I take my daily medications and my numbers are now high normal- so I can't say it's that.

I work from home on the computer about 8 hours a day, but I do try to get out walking around the block 3-4tines a week (usually burn 300-400 calories when I do that). Oh and I'm eating 1650 calories ....

Bah... Is 5.2lbs 'good'?... Or should I be losing more weight at my size? Should I restrict eating certain foods to lose 'more'? Like lower carb or something? Nothing has been off limits so far...

Anyone with experience or knowledge that can provide me a few words?

Thanks,
bobo

Replies

• thebobogrind
    thebobogrind Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    (Wow so many typos.. Sorry typing on my phone... :s )
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    5.2 lbs is something! you could have lost nothing or gained weight. weigh your food and make sure your portions are correct. log everything! keep pushing ahead, you will get there!
  • trbrmc
    trbrmc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    One pound a week is good! Everyone is different and don't compare you're weight loss to your husbands. Men tend to lose weight quicker, but that's genetic. It's best to not compare yourself you anyone else; it's not a race! Keep it up, you're doing good. I'd give it a bit more time before experimenting with different stuff, such as low carb. What you're doing is obviously working. One pound a week is 52 pounds in a year.
  • LeapingPandaWhale
    Options
    I have gotten in to the habit of eating very few carbs after I work out. I don't like to deprive myself of the things that I want, so I tell myself that I can have those carbs as long as I go to the gym to burn them off. Then after the gym I eat something very protein- heavy (I eat eggs for dinner most nights). When we eat carbs, they turn to sugar and then fat if we don't move around enough to burn them off. Maybe try doing something like that for a week or so and see if it makes a difference? Also, it might be a good idea to set a timer and get up and walk around for a few minutes every hour. I also sit at a desk all day, and I've read that even just a few mins of movement for each hour we sit will make a difference.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    How can I work from home? I need help too.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    What did you set the app to lose at, 1 or 2 pound per week? If you chose one, then you are on track. If you chose two, you might be eating more than you think.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Oh I just saw your current stats. How are you burning 300-400 calories "walking around the block"? Are you using a food scale to weigh your food?

5 pound loss is great, but yes-you could be losing faster.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I am purposely trying to lose weight slowly, but every once in a while when I see quick weight loss in a friend or on the forum, I start thinking about trying to speed up the process. Its not a race, your journey is your own, I tell myself but there's some competitor in me that gets antsy when I am watching others around me lose weight quickly. Imo, 5.2lbs in a month is perfect, and just so happens to match my weight loss in my first month :)
  • thebobogrind
    Options
    @goldthistime really? How much have you lost so far??

Yes I weigh everything, and when I do go for a walk, it's about 3-4km walk each time.

MFP set me at 1560 to lose 1.5 lbs a week, but I increased the cals to 1650 because I was always going over...

So I guess I am right on track with that... Bah

Yah 1 lb a week is not bad I guess... I feel better now
  • arditarose
    Options

Yes I weigh everything, and when I do go for a walk, it's about 3-4km walk each time.

MFP set me at 1560 to lose 1.5 lbs a week, but I increased the cals to 1650 because I was always going over...

Yeah, you're on track :)
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Your calories for your walk seems high to me. How many minutes and how many miles per hour do you walk? Do you eat back those calories?
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

I always think of it like this - how much would you weigh today if you weren't counting calories?

Even if it takes me over a year to burn everything I want - next year I'm going to be a year older no matter what. I could be a year older and obese or a year older and much more fit.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Your calories for your walk seems high to me. How many minutes and how many miles per hour do you walk? Do you eat back those calories?

I do agree with this and was wondering the same.
  • thebobogrind
    Options
    @kokocan thank u but I'm good using MFP
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    One pound a week is what I'm losing, and I'm happy that way. It's a nice steady pace at a sustainable calorie goal. I thought about lowering my cals at the beginning, but I was too hungry and fatigued. I'm at 1600 cals, and I usually come in a little under. I would rather be under than over! My starting weight was a little less than yours, and I am 16 weeks in, and 16 pounds down.

I also have limited ability to exercise because of some other physical issues, so I know I'm not going to be able to build a reserve of exercise calories to eat back, or exercise to make up for overindulgence. So having my cals at a higher level works better for me.

I am gradually lowering my calories in a natural way as I become accustomed to eating at a deficit, so I feel that as I need to further restrict my intake as I lose and have a lower BMR, it will be an easy transition.

The 16 weeks has gone by fast. I'm excited about the next 16!
  • thebobogrind
    Options
    @ pstegmann888 thank you for your post! It is very encouraging.

I will see how I do this next month, but you're right 1 lb a week is not bad :)
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Its great!!!!! =) all progress is great!
  • holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Great Job! Any weight loss is amazing for your body and the best part is, if you lose 1lb a week you are more likely to keep it off then someone who does more. Don't get discouraged, you are doing a great job and you should feel proud of yourself. Someone told me what they do when they get discouraged is they take how much weight they lost ie 5lb and they go find something that weighs that amount ie 5lb (like potatoes etc) and they lift it up and take a moment to say to themselves..I have lost this amount of weight! I plan to do that too. Hard to see on your body but easy to see when you are holding it!
  • mia1984xxxxx
    mia1984xxxxx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    5.2lb is fantastic! I am a similar weight to you and I am the same age, also in a sit down job, its definatley good to aim for 1lb a week as you are more likely to keep it off then if you lose too much too quickly I know it can feel frustrating when you feel others are losing more but the scales do not tell the whole story, go by how your clothes feel too you will be surprised, you are doing awesome :) feel free to add me if you would like.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I lost quickly a year and a half ago and gained it all back and some in about 5 months. It was too quick, and I was always hungry. This time I'm losing about 0.8# a week for 13 weeks now. That's just over 10 pounds and I'm not starving. You're doing great.