Exercising with a knee injury

Options
Hi everyone

Just a quick question, i injured my knee on Weds night whilst running at the gym. I couldn't weight bear on it so had x-rays taken on Thurs which were fine, the doctor thinks it's just ligament damage.

The pain is much better now and i can almost walk normally again for short periods. I am desperate to start training again, I've be doing sit-ups every day still but I want to get back to the gym asap. Would it be ok to do maybe 30 mins of cycling or/ and 30 mins on the cross trainer? I know I can't return to running for at least a few weeks but I need to do something - being stuck in the house is driving me mad!

Many thanks in advance for your help. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    First off, I'm not a doctor, so please keep that in mind. You may want to talk with the doctor first prior to resuming exercise. That said, after reconstructive ACL surgery (anterior cruciate ligament in my left knee), I was on the incumbent bike the very next day, working to keep the knee joint flexible. Granted, it wasn't with resistance and not for a long period of time...so, if you're chomping at the bit and feel you MUST, I'd say the bike is your best bet. Just make sure you listen to your body and if you feel discomfort and/or pain, back off, stop, etc.
  • amyfly
    amyfly Posts: 137
    Options
    When I injured my knee a couple of years ago on the elliptical machine I started using a mini trampoline at home til my knee completely healed and my strength was back - very little impact on the joints and a fun workout.
  • Jcrowe0317
    Jcrowe0317 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I fractured my knee a couple years ago while skiing which of course put my running out for a while. I was able to bike slowly initially and after a couple weeks I could bike at a decent speed. When I went to physical therapy they started me biking right away. This was before it healed. I needed to keep it moving.

I have over the past month a stress fracture in my tibia due to my running training. I pushed too hard. I have been cycling for this month and have thoroughly enjoyed it... Take a bike outside and enjoy the sunshine. If you have sunshine where you live.

I guess my real advice is pay attention to the pain... and... talk to your doctor when in doubt.
  • Stasha83
    Stasha83 Posts: 39
    Options
    Thank you for all your advice, hearing how you have all recovered from worse injuries than mine has given me hope, guess I'm lucky that its just a ligament injury rather than anything worse. :happy:

I'm going to give cycling a go and try and take it easy for the first few days and see if i can build it up. Being injured is soooo frustrating!

I live in England so tend to stick to cycling in the gym as the weather is not too great here!
  • Demandante
    Options
    hello, I recently had a i guess you would say knee strain. the doctor told me to do swimming for about a week then move onto a bike,then elliptical, then to walk on a treadmill slowly, then eventually once my knee is feeing better after all those things then i can go back to walking/jogging :)