How to control hunger

Options
2»

Replies

• Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Your diary seems to have a lot of food missing so it hard to come to a definite conclusion. From what is there, it seems like you are spending a lot of your calories on sweets such as coffee with Agave Syrup, donuts, pastries, Lattes, etc. These will not help you feel full and use a lot of your calorie allotment. (Well, I find coffee helps a lot with appetite control, but I drink mine with artificial sweetener only). Also, many of your meals seem to lack protein (breakfast in particular) and vegetables. Both of these can help you feel full.

As far as LCHF, that is way some find that works but it is not the only answer. Know that if you want to do LCHF, you can't cheat.

ETA: I went back further after you post above. Your older entries seem still support what I said above. You can probably take about 400-500 calories you are spending on sweets and apply them to something more filling. For me, I like pretzels and hummus and use something like a Kind bar (nut/granola) in a pinch.
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Protein curbs hunger for a longer period of time than carbs.
    One tip I found was Glutamine (cap under the tongue) satisfies that craving for sweets.
    Quest Bars are the only ones I have found that can provide a good deal protein (20+g) with a low net carb (3-4g) and lots of fiber (17+g). Read the label on all protein & energy bars. The majority either have a lot of sugar or are using a soy protein base which humans do not assimilate well.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    You have to be consistent every day. every log every calorie. I eat 1200 calories most days and am hardly ever hungry. Some days I will have 1300 calories and splurge on a banana or a piece of fruit.....Sweets will only make me hungry and are nearly empty calories... Replace toaster strudels with more protein and fiber.

But as others have said you should be logging and weighing everything you eat.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Tea, green tea, black tea, fruit tea - even with 1 teaspoon of sugar. I find this is great for staving off hunger. In Argentina people dieting just drink lots of their local green tea called Yerba Mate, and don't feel hungry.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    Tea, green tea, black tea, fruit tea - even with 1 teaspoon of sugar. I find this is great for staving off hunger. In Argentina people dieting just drink lots of their local green tea called Yerba Mate, and don't feel hungry.

Any new news on that cancer correlation with Yerba Mate? I like the stuff, but read that and was a bit concerned.
  • hamlet1222
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »

Any new news on that cancer correlation with Yerba Mate? I like the stuff, but read that and was a bit concerned.

not heard about that, where was this correlation found?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,004 Member
    Options
    cdm26 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Ever since I started doing my fitness pal I've been so hungry I could murder someone for food. It's so hard to stay under the calorie goal and I get so agitated and on edge with this hunger. Anyone know how I can calm down and control my hunger ?!! I really want to loose weight :(

Would you please change your Diary Sharing setting to Public? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Diary is now public :) maybe the problem is I eat too much "junk food" that isn't very satisfying

Ya, whenever someone has a thread about being hungry and I look at their diary, they are eating a lot of carbs in relation to protein.

Tomorrow, you could tweak today's breakfast by having two eggs instead of one and losing the Wonder Bread. Same amount of calories, somewhat different macro ratio, and you still have the taters as your starch.

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    Azuriaz wrote: »

not heard about that, where was this correlation found?

There is some concern, but they just don't know, as you can see from this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19695149

CONCLUSIONS:

The role of hot mate in increasing the risk of cancer of esophagus, larynx, and oral cavity seems to be supported by several epidemiological studies. The temperature could act by damaging the mucosa or accelerating metabolic reactions, including those with carcinogenic substances in tobacco and alcohol. However, there is no sound population-based case-control study on mate consumption as a risk factor for cancer. This, coupled with the range of results on mate risk, make assessing the etiological fraction difficult. More research needs to be done before a definitive statement can be made regarding cancer risk associated with any of the various forms of mate consumption. Future research should include population-based studies; collection of data on consumption of tobacco, alcohol, hot drinks, fresh fruit, and vegetables; and, a method to precisely measure volume and temperature of mate intake.

Oh, forgot to add, it's only hot yerba mate that has any correlation, but I like my tea hot. If I buy it again though, just in case, will drink it cold.
  • hamlet1222
    Options
    thanks, will check it out.
  • cdm26
    cdm26 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    Your diary seems to have a lot of food missing so it hard to come to a definite conclusion. From what is there, it seems like you are spending a lot of your calories on sweets such as coffee with Agave Syrup, donuts, pastries, Lattes, etc. These will not help you feel full and use a lot of your calorie allotment. (Well, I find coffee helps a lot with appetite control, but I drink mine with artificial sweetener only). Also, many of your meals seem to lack protein (breakfast in particular) and vegetables. Both of these can help you feel full.

As far as LCHF, that is way some find that works but it is not the only answer. Know that if you want to do LCHF, you can't cheat.

ETA: I went back further after you post above. Your older entries seem still support what I said above. You can probably take about 400-500 calories you are spending on sweets and apply them to something more filling. For me, I like pretzels and hummus and use something like a Kind bar (nut/granola) in a pinch.

What are some protein rich foods you can recommend ? :) ya sweets are my weakness definately need to work on that
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Protien-rich foods...
    Nuts (go for unsalted if you can, or as lightly-salted as you can find)
    Beans! chick peas, kidney beans, and edamame in particular.
    Eggs.
    Plain yogurt (greek has 2x protien of regular) with fruit and maybe a small drizzle of honey.
    Hard cheeses like cheddar.
    Lean meat like chicken or turkey. beef has a lot of fat even when it's "lean."
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Fats helped me. I eat LCHF, and find my appetite is greatly diminished. I could forget to eat for 6 hours at a time.

LCHF stands for low card high fat ??

Yes. Low carb high fat. Low carb is generally thought to be under about 150 g of carbs per day.
    Don't do low carb high fat. Your energy levels will be negatively altered. More fiber in a diet is great. Also volumize your meals.

For example: when making an omelet add a bunch of veggies. Not many calories... But more volume.

A LCHF diet only negatively affects energy if you go very low carb (ketosis) and get the keto flu which is when you fail to up your electrolytes for the increased water loss. It is easily fixed by a cup of salty broth.

I have personally found that my energy has increased by going vLCHF.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Fats helped me. I eat LCHF, and find my appetite is greatly diminished. I could forget to eat for 6 hours at a time.

LCHF stands for low card high fat ??

Yes @cdm26. Low Carb High Fat. The reason is when we cut out most all carbs we still need about the same calories and fats can fill the calorie gap. Since I went off most all sugars and all grains at the same time I am not sure if it was cutting out the sugar or the grains or both that caused my carb craving to stop.

Low Carb High Fat can not work for many because they have been too programmed that fats are evil but no food is evil. :) Others will not choose to go through the withdrawal period if it develops. It does not in all cases it seems.

In my case it was hellish for two weeks and the cravings just stopped. I had been heavy into coconut oil for two months before I left carbs cold turkey but not sure if that was a factor in my success of going <50 grams of carbs daily.

• Abby_C2014
    Abby_C2014 Posts: 86 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    What I do is I eat 6 meals a day. I am on a 1500-1600 (depends on my energy expenditure). I then spread out my calories for the entire 6 meals. I hate veggies so I eat whole grains like quinoa, black rice, whole grain bread, whole wheat tortilla, and my protein intake is pretty high per meal. I try to keep my fats around 20% of my macros. I never get hungry. In fact, I force feed myself. One more advice is to drink a lot of water too. Right now, my current calories is to lose weight steadily.