I'm addicted to fast food!

Options
2»

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Have you tried having other things at McDonalds? Salads, wraps, value menu items vs. big mac meal (or whatever it is you prefer)?

Small changes can make a big difference.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    You might also try the wraps they sell at places like Publix, Whole Foods, or Fresh Market. They are quick, easy to eat on the go, and about the same price as a combo meal.
  • tygee190
    tygee190 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    If you can't kick the addiction, just try and eat less so your calories stay at the level that's right for you. Check out Professor Haub's twinkie diet, which he did to prove that it was quantity and not what you eat that matters:

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/diet/articles/2010/09/29/junk-food-the-new-weight-loss-diet

The downside with this diet though is that it must be lacking in micronutrients, so you'll still want some fruit and vegetables with it.

Thanks so much for the advice I will have to check that out.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Try the lower calorie items at fast food restaurants, skip the sides and high calorie beverages, you can leave condiments like mayo or cheese off........there are plenty of ways to cut calories while eating fast food. If you find you aren't full cutting back like this, I'd vote for bringing lunch in a cooler a few days a week.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Check out the calorie counts on their online menus, and write down some acceptable choices (calorie and taste). Then stick to those choices. Getting a kid's meal can be a good choice, because they sometimes have healthy side options & drinks offered - just make sure to ask for the substitution. Also some of the chicken-topped salads at Wendy's or ChickFilA can be good if you use your own lower-cal dressings. Once you start automatically ordering better choices, you won't default to the same old burger-and-fries combo when you pull up to the drive-through. And sweet tea? Ditch it! That's 280 calories right there! Keep some unsweetened tea on hand (you can buy single serves in the convenience store) and just add a little sweetener to it. If you find it hard to wean off the sweet tea, drink it half sweet & half unsweet and gradually reduce the amount of sweet.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food (mcdonalds usually) nearly every day. I get a McDouble, no cheese half bun forf 265cals and a small fry for 230ls. 495 cals for a meal. Fits into my day easily (1500cls w/o exercise).
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    tygee190 wrote: »
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    If you can't kick the addiction, just try and eat less so your calories stay at the level that's right for you. Check out Professor Haub's twinkie diet, which he did to prove that it was quantity and not what you eat that matters:

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/diet/articles/2010/09/29/junk-food-the-new-weight-loss-diet

The downside with this diet though is that it must be lacking in micronutrients, so you'll still want some fruit and vegetables with it.

Thanks so much for the advice I will have to check that out.

Of all the advice on this thread, I am concerned that you respond to the one about the twinkie diet. As a college student, I applaud you for preparing for the future with an adequate education. Consider how you are preparing for your future health. Micronutrients and fiber are notoriously low, fats and simple carbs are in abundance on the McDonald's menu. Please consider powering your body and brain with the healthy foods it needs as carefully as you are empowering your quality of life with your education.