Hungry on Ketogenic

Options
am I under eating ? I feel like I'm not eating enough

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to open your diary or provide more details about your macros and intake for the keto experts to give you real information.

From my understanding, hunger during keto can be a sign you need more fats. Or it could mean that you aren't actually in ketosis.
  • blissalexandra
    blissalexandra Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to open your diary or provide more details about your macros and intake for the keto experts to give you real information.

From my understanding, hunger during keto can be a sign you need more fats. Or it could mean that you aren't actually in ketosis.

Okay going to add you now
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    am I under eating ? I feel like I'm not eating enough

After I got my fat calories up to 80% of total calories I was stuffed all of the time. At 200 pounds I eat 2600 calories to lose and 3000 to maintain so there is nothing Low Calorie about staying in nutritional ketosis in my case. The carbs in my case must be <50 grams daily for strong ketosis. Keto has worked well for me for a year now to manage my pain level. I am 64 and my macro is about 5% carb, 15% protein and 80% fats. I kind of count carbs but I was doing that before MFP so there is not logging.

I do weigh every evening and twice each morning to monitor output since the doctor always asks. It seems to blow their minds when I give them how much in pounds. For any other old men out there my urine runs between 1.5-2.5 pounds after sleeping for 8 hours without waking but it is 2 pounds 90% of the time. I never dreamed the time would come when the doctors would be asking about my rate of flow and volume. :)

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    I don't know...are you?
  • blissalexandra
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    I don't know...are you?

I don't know lol
  • blissalexandra
    Options
    I'm reaching my macros and calories (my carb is always higher than 20g) but im not sure why
    My diary is public if anyone has any tips ! I don't want to starve myself lol or lose any muscle
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If you are new to keto your appetite may not have dropped yet. I lost my carb cravings within a few days but my appetite didn't dip for a couple of weeks.

Also if you are new, you may be a little dehydrated and low in sodium, which can cause hunger symptoms Consider upping your salt, maybe?

I wouldn't worry about eating at a deficit if you are hungry. My first few weeks of of keto involved more calories. My first couple of weeks I guess that I was eating a good 2000 calories (at least) and by the third week it was usually under 2000 (when began logging).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Oops, I just looked at your diary and your carbs are often up over 100 g which will not put most people in ketosis. You have some low days but then jump back up. You may be going in and out of ketosis which is harder on a body (IMO) than just staying in ketosis or staying out of it.

Perhaps try committing to very low carbs (well under 50g per day) for a couple of weeks and see how that feels.

Good luck.
  • Abby_C2014
    Abby_C2014 Posts: 86 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I tried keto before and it worked well (I stopped keto though). Anyway, your carbs is too high and need to lower it down. Now, you need to make your fat intake higher than protein (do not lower your protein too much though). The reason why protein can't be too high is if you take excess amounts of it. Your body will go through Gluconeogenesis. The body will use excess protein as glucose. Go to Lyle Mcdonald'support forum website (Body recomposition) for more detailed answers. http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

• blissalexandra
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Oops, I just looked at your diary and your carbs are often up over 100 g which will not put most people in ketosis. You have some low days but then jump back up. You may be going in and out of ketosis which is harder on a body (IMO) than just staying in ketosis or staying out of it.

Perhaps try committing to very low carbs (well under 50g per day) for a couple of weeks and see how that feels.

Good luck.

Yeah I only started a few days ago but they keep going over and I'm not sure why? I've just been eating leafy veg etc and it still takes me over my carb limits
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Banana ? Bread ? Rice ? about as keto as a can of coke. A green smoothie with 33g of carbs is exactly like a can of coke.

Try to eat more fat than protein - say 80 - 100 grams of fat. 20g of carbohydrate. For 2 weeks.

No fruit or sugar other than that in green vegetables.
  • blissalexandra
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Banana ? Bread ? Rice ? about as keto as a can of coke. A green smoothie with 33g of carbs is exactly like a can of coke.

Try to eat more fat than protein - say 80 - 100 grams of fat. 20g of carbohydrate. For 2 weeks.

As I said I just started few days ago I'm on like day 3 right now
    I'm going to focus on keeping my carbs down more today n see how I get on
    Thanks !
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

The smoothie and the banana were like yesterday, but I'm pleased to see you made a better start today.
  • blissalexandra
    Options

The smoothie and the banana were like yesterday, but I'm pleased to see you made a better start today.
    I know lol
    But thanks :-D
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    If you are new to keto your appetite may not have dropped yet. I lost my carb cravings within a few days but my appetite didn't dip for a couple of weeks.

Also if you are new, you may be a little dehydrated and low in sodium, which can cause hunger symptoms Consider upping your salt, maybe?

I wouldn't worry about eating at a deficit if you are hungry. My first few weeks of of keto involved more calories. My first couple of weeks I guess that I was eating a good 2000 calories (at least) and by the third week it was usually under 2000 (when began logging).

Why would you lie to the OP and suggest she may be dehydrated when you stated, "I don't know of a single health issue that could be partially caused by a ketogenic diet" very recently.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

^ lol how ignorant, so no eggs cause sucrose? No cheese cause lactose?
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

^ lol how ignorant, so no eggs cause sucrose? No cheese cause lactose?

I read that comment differently. I thought yarwell meant do not eat fruit or sugar. You can have green leafy veg .

If you are not sure, type your veg into google ie "carb content carrot". Then look at it and decide is it high or low carb. Do it a few times and it is easier to spot the foods that are to be avoided, including fruit.

Me, I cant eat them. Too much sugar! Plenty of resources and quackery available too. Me I dodge potatoes, pumpkin, any high GI foods like bread and cereal. Stick with proteins, green leafy veg like kale, some seeds like chia and flax plus nuts like almonds. BtW nori seaweed sheets are versatile and sit well with avocado and xhicken or fish or prawns. Tuna in a can is quick starter to a bigger dish. I love herbs too.

Raspberry or blackberries are my high fibre wicked treat.