Need help making daily walking routine

Options
Just had total hip replacment back June 30 2015 try to walk every day but some days my hip is so stiff I can bearly get around the house .

Replies

• Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I ice my stiff joints before and after exercise -- helps a lot!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Try every other day for a start. Give your hips a little time off between exercise type walks to recover. Once you can do every other day without problems, then step it up a bit. You might also look into some kind of water walking or water aerobics. That would remove stress from your hips and might help with the pain and stiffness as well.
  • tinker405
    tinker405 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks I am looking into the YMCA but it feels like they are taking forever
  • Cuttingthecabooseloose
    Options
    Have heart issues here. Had an ablation done in March and the app "map my run" is helping me a lot. That keeps me motivated to push through not being able to breath and chest pain on some days. I'm feeling better n better 30 days later. Start with small walks, log them, and try to push yourself the next week to slightly beat the previous week. Movement will help you heal better but take your time and rest when u need to. Best wishes...I know it must be really hard.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I'm with dubird, take to the water. Water walking or aqua fit are low impact so will be much kinder on your hip as you strengthen your muscles.

Cheers, h.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Find different places to walk like trails, shopping malls or your back yard. I find new and interesting scenery helps take your mind off the aches and pains. It also helps build different muscles if you are walking on different types of surfaces.