Walden Farms why all the hate?

Options
I just pick up some Walden Farms caramel dip and some pancake syrup. They are pretty good for zero calories. I was hesitant to try them because I have read in the past that their products are awful. Now I am starting to question everything I have ever read on the internet. ;)

Replies

• abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them so I'm not going to be the one to be able to comment on those specifically but the way I see it is this...

If the best way you can describe them is "they are pretty good for zero calories" they probably aren't worth eating. People can believe what they want about sugar alternatives but the fact is they taste like crap. I'd much rather buy or make something with real sugar that tastes good and just try to work it into the day.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them so I'm not going to be the one to be able to comment on those specifically but the way I see it is this...

If the best way you can describe them is "they are pretty good for zero calories" they probably aren't worth eating. People can believe what they want about sugar alternatives but the fact is they taste like crap. I'd much rather buy or make something with real sugar that tastes good and just try to work it into the day.

Fair enough. I didn't want to say that they are mind blowing or anything like that cause I have a tendency to embellish. I should have put "really good especially for zero calories"
  • zkhanman
    zkhanman Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    For zero calorie "foods" in general aren't the complaints usually all the weird chemicals in them? For the last few months I've been doing the "If I can't pronounce the ingredient, it doesn't go in me" thing. I just with Rockstar though, that stuff has a page long list of chemicals that will probably give me cancer.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i'm all for Chemical Farms.. the pancake syrup is actually pretty damn good
  • RachelYun27
    RachelYun27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The pancake syrup is probably their best product. The Ceasar dressing is gross!
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I heard mixed reviews on them. I'm been hesitate to spend money on something that will just sit in my cabinet if I don't like it. Maybe I will grab one when I see em on sale, probably the maple syrup.

If you are looking for other brands Torani has great sugar free syrups torani.com/
  • abetterluke
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »

Fair enough. I didn't want to say that they are mind blowing or anything like that cause I have a tendency to embellish. I should have put "really good especially for zero calories"

I still think "really good especially for zero calories" just isn't worth it. Maybe I'm a food snob but unless it says "this zero calorie food tastes better than the real sugar version" I just can't get on board. It's like when coke came out with coke zero and said "tastes just like real coke" -- no it doesn't...because if it did you wouldn't make real coke anymore. Simple as that. Life's too short for sub-par food.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I love some of the stuff... the pancake, strawberry, and chocolate syrup are all really good to me. I also kinda like the marshmallow fluff and the chocolate dip. The strawberry spread tastes like smuckers sf jelly. I'm totally on the chemical farms train :D. (just stay away from the peanut butter tasting products lol)
  • abetterluke
    Options
    I think the point of your question however is why are people hating on zero calorie foods? And it's because of the chemicals. Personally I think they probably won't make a major difference in anything unless you're taking in massive amounts of them...so eat what you like.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I've never tried anything from Walden Farms. I'm not sure they are available where I live (never seen them in the store). But I would agree with the posts above that most of the hate is probably about the dreaded additives used to make them taste like what they are not. I'd probably give them a try. Except for the syrup. Honestly I'd rather give up the pancakes than real maple syrup. Nothing beats pure maple syrup. I think I'm going to try making my own next Spring.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options

My experience as well. I don't mind sugar free gum now and then or my B12 or chewable baby aspirin, but everything else? Blech.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

I still think "really good especially for zero calories" just isn't worth it. Maybe I'm a food snob but unless it says "this zero calorie food tastes better than the real sugar version" I just can't get on board. It's like when coke came out with coke zero and said "tastes just like real coke" -- no it doesn't...because if it did you wouldn't make real coke anymore. Simple as that. Life's too short for sub-par food.

64432341.jpg
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm usually not one to get all worked up about chemicals - but zero calorie ranch and zero calorie peanutbutter - there's no way that stuff can't be just a complete chemical nightmare. No thanks. Not going to try it.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    zkhanman wrote: »
    For zero calorie "foods" in general aren't the complaints usually all the weird chemicals in them? For the last few months I've been doing the "If I can't pronounce the ingredient, it doesn't go in me" thing. I just with Rockstar though, that stuff has a page long list of chemicals that will probably give me cancer.

This is my opinion. I tried the Walden Farms caramel sauce and it just tasted flat out like chemicals to me! I threw out the rest of the bottle.
  • NicciC88
    NicciC88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    i'm all for Chemical Farms.. the pancake syrup is actually pretty damn good
    Yep I agree! Como prep has never bn better
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Sometimes I don't have room in my daily allowance for maple syrup so I need to use a sugar free version with less calories. Doesn't mean I use sugar-free versions everyday or every time I make pancakes. I enjoy pure maple syrup as much as the next person and any other food snob. Working maple syrup in isn't easy, my favorite is 240cals for only 1/4 cup. As a woman I have a lower calorie goal to fill than you, I'm assuming. Same with pop, sometimes I just want the caffeine, Diet Coke is perfect for that situation, still love my classic Coca Cola.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

This is the only thing I've tried and I literally gagged and had to run to the sink.
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    i've been drinking diet soft drinks for so long that the regular flavors actually taste funny to me. and i'll take the calorie headroom every time.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    zkhanman wrote: »

Everything is made of chemicals, and the inability to pronounce an ingredient should have nothing to do with it. I probably couldn't pronounce any of the vitamins or minerals in foods if they were written out chemically on labels as they sometimes are... Of course that doesn't mean they should be avoided for that reason.

But any of the Walden stuff I've tried has been pretty horrible. I'd rather save calories by eating a salad with no dressing than put their caesar on it. To be fair though I haven't tried any of the syrups people are mentioning as decent.
  • abetterluke
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »

This is the only thing I've tried and I literally gagged and had to run to the sink.

That sounds like a review I would believe. I've had sugar free maple syrups before and they are just...awful. Awful in every way possible.