Broke my wrist - my gainz! :'(

Options
I was going strong and then on Sunday I broke the scaphoid bone in my right wrist (my dominant hand). Any tips for maintaining my current level of fitness while it heals? Doctor says no weights, no pole, no silks, and no horseback riding. I have a treadmill for cardio, but I don't want to lose more muscle/strength than necessary.Thanks!

(Sorry for the brevity - typing is kind of hard)

Replies

• armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I was going strong and then on Sunday I broke the scaphoid bone in my right wrist (my dominant hand). Any tips for maintaining my current level of fitness while it heals? Doctor says no weights, no pole, no silks, and no horseback riding. I have a treadmill for cardio, but I don't want to lose more muscle/strength than necessary.Thanks!

Here is what I used for motivation when I broke my arm a few years back.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj-gyl-e4y0
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Well, I mean your legs are fine. I would hold off on upper body work so you don't develop asymmetry, but you could still do machines that don't require you to use your hands like leg pressing. I just saw a woman this morning who was doing dips and pull ups with a boot on her foot. Obviously you need to be VERY CAREFUL and realize you always run the risk of aggravating the injury by accident bumping it on something, but I broke my right arm like 3 times and just learned to kind of deal with it.

As far as upper body goes, once the cast comes off, just work on rehabbing the wrist and slowly getting back to working weights. Muscles really do have memory; it takes a far shorter time to rebound back to a size you have already achieved than it takes to build the muscle the first time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_memory_(strength_training)
  • _Bropollo_
    Options
    armylife wrote: »

Here is what I used for motivation when I broke my arm a few years back.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj-gyl-e4y0

And this is why I refuse to do cleans
  • armylife
    Options
    It was cleaning with straps that caused him to break his wrist not just cleans, but I take the point.
  • _Bropollo_
    Options
    It was cleaning with straps that caused him to break his wrist not just cleans, but I take the point.

Ouch. Yeah, if you can't push the weight away from you when you are falling .....you're gonna have a bad time.
  • armylife
    Options
    _Bropollo_ wrote: »

Ouch. Yeah, if you can't push the weight away from you when you are falling .....you're gonna have a bad time.

The OTC since changed their stance on straps in the gym and ask lifters not to wear them. It always takes an accident. I have tossed a couple of heavy cleans to keep them off my throat, it is always a good feeling.....