Am I Eating Too Little

Options
I want you guys to check my diary for today. It's pretty accurate, I use a scale for solids and everything is measured. MFP says I'm not eating enough but I'm trying to lose as much as I can in 60 days. Should I eat more? I don't eat breakfast because I go to bed at around 3am after the gym (I work from 3-11/12 depending on the night) - my question is can I safely have this much of a deficit each day?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't public.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about skipping breakfast. :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Checking it for one day really wouldn't tell us anything.

I'm here to gain weight/maintain yet today I'm on a net 1300 calories. You need to look at the week as a whole. Our bodies don't just count one days calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to lose as much as you can? Rapid weight loss is going to target your muscle mass, not your fat. You'd probably be happier with the result if you went a bit slower and retained more of your muscle.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,941 Member
    Options
    I can guarantee you that if MFP is saying you're not eating enough... you're not.

People with 100lbs to lose do not need to come ANYWHERE NEAR MFP's minimums to lose 100lbs.

My "best measured" 35lbs of weight loss were from December 2 to May 7.
    TDEE about 3200. Calories in about 2400. Believed deficit: about 800 (24.76%)
    ... actual deficit based on the body-composition DXA scans: about 716

MFP minimum for guys 1500.

Your mileage will vary; but, last I checked, there were no bonus points for getting to maintenance faster while being malnourished and with less lean mass than you have to and without having developed any strategies on how you are going to eat and move in the future.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary, but in general I wouldn't go more than about 20-25% deficit from my base minimum + exercise if you do a decent amount. You really need to fuel your body and I don't think you will accelerate the weight loss.... and you risk being healthy. My two cents.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
  • joshuakcaron
    joshuakcaron Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Diary is open sorry guys didn't realize it was set to private. But yeah I eat on my break which is now and I'm eating until my break is done. Can't fit much more food in my mouth.
  • joshuakcaron
    Options
    The past few days I haven't added my exercise because mfp likes to put it on the next day (I hit the gym at midnight) so I entered it before hand today for the sake of me not having to delete stuff.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Diary is open sorry guys didn't realize it was set to private. But yeah I eat on my break which is now and I'm eating until my break is done. Can't fit much more food in my mouth.

Still closed
  • joshuakcaron
    Options
    Can't see your diary, but in general I wouldn't go more than about 20-25% deficit from my base minimum + exercise if you do a decent amount. You really need to fuel your body and I don't think you will accelerate the weight loss.... and you risk being healthy. My two cents.
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Still closed

Weird but I fixed it I think now.

I'm eating less than 1000 calories a day. I had a pretty light lunch. Like I said earlier all my food is measured on a scale.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes. You are. But you already know that don't you?

MFP has given you a goal of 2300 and then 1780 calories, why are you regularly eating sub 1000 calories?
  • Justins68ford
    Justins68ford Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Your diary made me feel hungry. I'm pretty sure Anthony Hopkins ate this way and lost a bunch of weight. For the sole purpose of winning a weight loss competition this will probably work. good luck
  • ShashayLee
    ShashayLee Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    eating so little, won't serve you well in the long run. I eat more than you & i'm a short female lol. Not sure a weight loss contest is worth it .....
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Being grossly undernourished will probably not cause an otherwise healthy person any damage if they have enough weight to lose and it's only for 60 days.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    You realize you can lose a lot of muscle, under eating this way? That your heart is a muscle?
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I believe this poster is in one of those weight loss contests, if memory serves.

Yep. Weightloss contestant once again.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    An intake under 1000 calories + significant exercise burns (assuming accurate calculation) = eating far too little to provide your body with the nutrition it needs.
This discussion has been closed.