when did these atrocious "person above you" threads begin?

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
edited September 2015 in Chit-Chat
I'm enlisting the help of the peanut gallery on this one. Though I post these to mock the overall concept, when exactly did these begin on mfp?

I got from the beginning of MFP time to page 2620 for those looking to expedite the search.

Replies

• flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't post on subjects in the chit chat and fun threads. They are just getting toooo personal and sexual for my taste. I wonder how long the moderators will tolerate this #$%^.
  • _John_
    Options
    still no sign at page 2400.
  • _John_
    Options
    Are you looking for the time they became the only thing on the front page, or when the actual Patient Zero type event occurred?

patient 0.

I almost want to cry at how much better this place was before this (feces). It's like a normal chit chat boat from 2008-2012...
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    The person above me has started a lot of these threads.
  • _John_
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    The person above me has started a lot of these threads.

o-rly.jpg
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Are you looking for the time they became the only thing on the front page, or when the actual Patient Zero type event occurred?

patient 0.

I almost want to cry at how much better this place was before this (feces). It's like a normal chit chat boat from 2008-2012...
    It needs to have the games section and the chat section segregated from each other.

Although I've never tried to find the source of the fecal river, I have looked back at old stuff and it definitely was more chatty than scatty.
  • _John_
    edited September 2015
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/981986/what-kind-of-cereal-does-the-person-above-eat/p1

so far the oldest actual example I could find, but it's apparent they were around before that. I joined on my original account (ragequit) in May 2012 I believe, and they were already a thing when I joined, but they weren't 3/4 of the threads on page 1 (the only page relevant on a board with so much traffic) yet.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    It needs to have the games section and the chat section segregated from each other.

Amen. That's what I've been saying for a couple of years. I'd go into the reasons why, but it'd probably piss people off.

So? o:);)

Wait...I don't want you in trouble though. Way too sexy to be behind bars!
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    If people don't put them on the front page, people will stop them.
  • TUsphg8B4zrapVx
    TUsphg8B4zrapVx Posts: 259 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Amen. That's what I've been saying for a couple of years. I'd go into the reasons why, but it'd probably piss people off.

So? o:);)

Wait...I don't want you in trouble though. Way too sexy to be behind bars!

LOL. Somehow I've managed not to get locked up in my entire time here. The key is to NEVER break character. You can start all the innuendo you want as long as you NEVER acknowledge it was innuendo. It helps if the innuendo has some creativity to it.

Short, less offensive version is that we have a pretty needy population here comprised in great percentages of one type of person - largely out of shape people trying and more often failing to change that fact. That group is constantly refreshing, there's an endless pool of folks trying to change their lives, and I never would knock that desire. The baggage that comes with that population is that they often don't feel good about themselves and need/want validation. And I get that - we're all a little bit broken. Heck, I even think those threads serve a hole that the community needs, so I'd never suggest banning them altogether.

The flip side is that the need is full on insatiable. There is no satisfying the depth of need. Every single day there are dozens of threads started to fill that hole in people's lives, of someone to tell them they are attractive or that they matter. Every day dozens of newbies join the site, and some of them find their way here. It's not a simple need for friendship - if that were the case, we'd invest ourselves in actually telling one another *why* we think they are truly pretty, using big words. That's not what is done here.

This, by and large, is simply consuming. Gorging on validation is really what's happening here.

Yes, that's smart stuff you're saying. Let them happen because they serve a desired purpose, but they are obviously prolific enough to deserve their own forum sector.
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,619 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It hasn't always been like this?

mind_blown_nph.gif[img][/img]
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Why not just ignore them?
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the "person above you" threads.. UNTIL you get that person who f&*ks it all up by quoting someone's response to theirs, and not giving an answer for the actual last person who posted, and keeps adding conversational comments... You guys know what I'm talking about. >_>
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    While we're laying things out here, can someone explain what the behind bars thing is with profile pics?

I agree about the "person above you" threads. When I first came on here I was like wow I didn't realize so many 17 year olds were trying to lose weight. And then to see that people answer them honestly.. NPH mind explosion gif is apropos.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    While we're laying things out here, can someone explain what the behind bars thing is with profile pics?

I agree about the "person above you" threads. When I first came on here I was like wow I didn't realize so many 17 year olds were trying to lose weight. And then to see that people answer them honestly.. NPH mind explosion gif is apropos.

The bars are posters who are on probation in the forums.