How do some people get the job in the first place?!?

Options
madhatter2013
madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
edited September 2015 in Chit-Chat
Okay, so this is more of a rant. I am payroll for my company. We have an ABM (Area Business Manager) that seems to think 2+2=chair. He makes one of his employees leave half way through the day Friday and then lets someone else from another department do her job. The union contract states that original employees in the department have to be offered any extra hours before any other employee from any other department. Why bother sending her home half way through the day if he's just going to pull someone from another department? I ask him this question and his response to me was "Because I’m in the firm belief that everyone should share in the pain of losing pay. Just because someone works a 40 hour week doesn’t exempt them from losing pay like everyone else that is scheduled to work 12 hour shifts". Slight backstory, we are shut down on Sundays for now because production is slow. We have 4 rotating 12 hours shifts so everyone on those shifts is losing 24 hours of pay a month. I agree that our M-F 8 hour shift people should also "feel the pain" as he puts it, however, now we are having to pay her the 4 hours she lost anyway because the contract required us to offer her the hours before someone from another department. How is she losing pay? How did he become the head of his department? How is he STILL head of his department not knowing basic math?

Rant over :(