Running in the Pool!

itsanot
itsanot Posts: 89 Member
Do any of you do this? I started doing this about a week ago. The trainer at the gym told me that you burn more calories then running on land because you tend to raise your knees higher and your body is also trying to stay warm since the water is cooling you off. I know it is easier then working on the treadmill, but am I getting the same benefits?? Thanks for any info passed me way!

Replies

• ladybird1771
    ladybird1771 Posts: 99 Member
    Me and my friend do it just because it's fun to race each other :laugh: but it does feel like you're working :smile:
  • jessieraefitness
    jessieraefitness Posts: 4 Member
    I love running in the pool!!! I started doing it just to keep myself busy while my kids were playing and it get my heart rate up so its defiantly burning calories. I have sore knees and walking, running, even swimming hurts them, but running in the pool never does. Sometimes I'll even put one of the kids on my back and that gets my heart rate up even more. Give it a try. I don't have one of those watches that yells you how many calories you burn, but I just put the same thing as when I walk at the gym to guesstimate.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    It's a wonderful workout! Much easier on the joints and I certainly burn a lot because of the water resistance.. try ankle weights if you have them available... gives an even better workout.:happy:

It would of course depend on the amount of exertion and laps you do. I do several miles at times so for me that's a workout plus I also use resistance gloves and really push myself.
  • spederse86
    spederse86 Posts: 13
    My mother does it, and I have tried as well. I can feel it a little, as far as exertion goes, so I suppose the answer might be that it just depends on how hard you work yourself while doing it, and how long you go. :) I think regular running will still of course burn more, but I live in Florida, and it's way easier to convince yourself to go in the pool during the summer than for a run. XD

Of course, there are other exercises to do in the pool that can burn a ton of calories, so no problems there!
  • Darrell916
    Darrell916 Posts: 110 Member
    From my understanding that running in the pool is great especially if you are a heavier person, because the water takes less tension off of your joints. The treadmill does put more tension on the joints.
  • pbrinnm
    pbrinnm Posts: 39
    I do it when I'm injured and can't/shouldn't run. The water minimizes the pounding on my knees. If it's easier (i.e., my HR isn't high enough) than running on dirt/grass/pavement or treadmill, then I didn't work as hard as I usually do on land. I've heard trainers suggest running in water to people who have alot to lose or are injured.

I have also heard that you burn more calories if you keep the same pace you are walking/running outside of the pool. I've heard it's because you need to exert more energy to push against the resistance of the water. Never heard because knees are higher or body trying to stay warm.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    I kind of doubt that you are going to burn more calories. However, it is an excellent exercise that many top runners use, particularly when they are injured and need to reduce the stress on their legs.
  • histomom
    histomom Posts: 32 Member
    I love running in the pool. When I take my kids swimming I am in the pool right along with them for the whole time. They are playing and I am either running, walking, kicking my legs, aggressively treading water and doing laps. I sometimes have one of my kids that are 100lbs+ to get on my back and I walk around. I also do burst out of the water jumping and go under water and burst up again. This really gets the heart rate going. I will do all this for about 90-120 mins. Pools are great for excerising.