Running & Water Retention?

ahadj
ahadj Posts: 257 Member
So, my eating has been spot on this week but I have actually seen some weight gain in the past week. I am definitely not worried about it because I feel great and am seeing changes in the mirror, but I'm just curious as to why that is. I've gone for a run every day this week (that's about normal for me, I usually run 4-5 days a week and ellipticize 1-2 days, and take 1 day off), and yesterday I ran for longer than usual (55 min as opposed to the usual 35 min). Might that have something to do with the scale? Muscles holding onto water or something? Anyone have any insight?

Replies

• strawberry1969
    strawberry1969 Posts: 1,476 Member
    Bump
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    water....it could be your muscles holding on to water for repair...it could be more carbs than usual in your diet...it could be more sodium this week...it could be hormones...could be TOM. What it is not is fat...unless you've been eating substantially in excess of your maintenance calories. Weight loss isn't linear and weight maintenance is not static. I fluctuate easily 2-5 Lbs day to day whether I'm losing or maintaining.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    water....it could be your muscles holding on to water for repair...it could be more carbs than usual in your diet...it could be more sodium this week...it could be hormones...could be TOM. What it is not is fat...unless you've been eating substantially in excess of your maintenance calories. Weight loss isn't linear and weight maintenance is not static. I fluctuate easily 2-5 Lbs day to day whether I'm losing or maintaining.

this ^^

if I do a particularly long or strenuous work out I always weigh heavier the next day by 2 or 3lbs ... most likely water
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Where is your weight training?
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member
    So, my eating has been spot on this week but I have actually seen some weight gain in the past week. I am definitely not worried about it because I feel great and am seeing changes in the mirror, but I'm just curious as to why that is. I've gone for a run every day this week (that's about normal for me, I usually run 4-5 days a week and ellipticize 1-2 days, and take 1 day off), and yesterday I ran for longer than usual (55 min as opposed to the usual 35 min). Might that have something to do with the scale? Muscles holding onto water or something? Anyone have any insight?

I get the same when I run, it is fluid around your muscles. It does go down :)
  • __Di__

Not everybody does weights.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member

They should.
  • __Di__

They should.

Well everybody should also eat food that is good for them, but that doesn't happen and nor does everybody wish to do so - the same goes for weights.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member

They should.

The only thing people should do is do what they want to do and they should be able to do that without others tell them what they should be doing.
  • __Di__

They should.

The only thing people should do is do what they want to do and they should be able to do that without others tell them what they should be doing.

Gonna drink to you :drinker:
    Now I am gonna give you some flowers :flowerforyou: