IIFYM !!

Options
Just wanted to get your guys' feedback on the IIFYM diet. Personally I love it since it helps me curb my cravings when it comes :)

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Works great for me and makes the most sense. I'm not into fad diets which arbitrarily exclude foods/entire food groups. IIFYM allows the most freedom of choice and is easy to adhere to.
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It's been working for me :)
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is the only way to go..... Wtf is clean food anyways?
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    I wash my steak before I cook it. :D
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

Great thing about IIFYM is that is all inclusive. You can eat vegan, vegetarian, clean, low carb, high carb/low fat....or whatever you set for goal....you just eat the foods it takes to get you to what you set as your goal.
  • feelnopain12
    feelnopain12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Worked for me.
  • Abby_C2014
    Abby_C2014 Posts: 86 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I wash my steak before I cook it. :D
    Clean foods = washing it with soap lmao
  • feelnopain12
    feelnopain12 Posts: 10 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    IIFYM doesnt mean dont add natural healthy foods @catscats222 ;) the general consensus of us IIFYMers is that we eat healthy most of the time and then use cheat foods to reduce cravings AND still be hitting targets
    ....its not like we just eat poptarts for every carb in our macros :persevere:
  • MVG821
    MVG821 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    ^
    ^ THIS
    ^
  • JayWalk39
    JayWalk39 Posts: 68 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    IIFYM doesnt mean dont add natural healthy foods @catscats222 ;) the general consensus of us IIFYMers is that we eat healthy most of the time and then use cheat foods to reduce cravings AND still be hitting targets
    ....its not like we just eat poptarts for every carb in our macros :persevere:

Speak for yourself!!!! Currently on a bulk using IIFYM and I have Pop Tarts all the time for a snack (well not for every carb like you said)...they are a perfect way to get 400 calories in. Currently eating to 3200-3400 calories a day so every chance I get to get some high calorie snacks in I do!!!!

Ps. Peggy Lawton Choco-Chip Cookies and Peanut Butter & Nutella sandwiches also make it into the rotation (usually on the same day too)! :)
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    lets you eat anything as long as it fits into your macros
    downside - you can eat a lot of low nutrient foods
    make sure you take a daily multi-vitamin to offset any deficiencies (insurance).
    goal once you lose - find a plan that focuses on healthy natural foods
    Did you miss the "fits your macros" part of IIFYM? If you eat a lot of low-nutrient foods, you're not going to hit your macros. Conversely, if you're hitting your macros (and know *anything* about nutrition), you're probably hitting your micros also.

This is the typical binary thinking - if you're not an obsessive, orthorexic "clean eater", then you must be stuffing your pie hole with nothing but junk all day. Of course there couldn't possibly be a middle ground where you eat mostly nutritious foods, but allow yourself indulgences once your macros are met.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    lets you eat anything as long as it fits into your macros
    downside - you can eat a lot of low nutrient foods
    make sure you take a daily multi-vitamin to offset any deficiencies (insurance).
    goal once you lose - find a plan that focuses on healthy natural foods
    Did you miss the "fits your macros" part of IIFYM? If you eat a lot of low-nutrient foods, you're not going to hit your macros. Conversely, if you're hitting your macros (and know *anything* about nutrition), you're probably hitting your micros also.

This is the typical binary thinking - if you're not an obsessive, orthorexic "clean eater", then you must be stuffing your pie hole with nothing but junk all day. Of course there couldn't possibly be a middle ground where you eat mostly nutritious foods, but allow yourself indulgences once your macros are met.

IIFYMer for life! Once you learn to track, you'll never go back!

Middle ground is not a myth... I've seen it!
  • Tamlyngo
    Tamlyngo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This is the first "diet" I've ever been on so I don't have much to compare it to but it makes the most sense to me and I'm getting results!
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    It's worked this far, I'm gonna keep going.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You get to eat whatever you want. You just hit certain goals for protein, fat and carbs.

It's not really a diet so much as a philosophy or WOE. It can be used in a healthy manner or an unhealthy manner, but that's true for many different diets or philosophies on how one should eat.

It's not right for me, but I think it's a great way to go and has worked for many people. If that is how you want to do it, you should!
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    What does the acronym stand for? Sorry new to this.
  • Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If. It. Fits. Your. Macros.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros ....

And yes, its a very successful philosophy to use when designing and using a nutrition plan.

Been working for me for a long time.
  • MollyJE19
    MollyJE19 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've been doing that lately without knowing (or caring) that it had a name. If anyone had insisted I stick a label on how I was eating, I would have said "eating clean" while sometimes "cheating." :smile: