Dealing with cravings

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Are there any healthy alternatives for chocolate and salt cravings that you personally prefer? Also, how do you work on curving cravings? I get them bad when Mother Nature is approaching.

My appetite goes up at that TOM, so I eat at maintenance for a few days. I do have small amounts of high quality chocolate pretty much every day, because I like it, not because I've been craving it.

I only have cravings when:

1. I haven't had enough sleep
    2. I haven't had enough protein in relationship to carbs
    3. I've let myself get too hungry.

You can also try these supplements or substitutions:

10150596_10152103586193927_5184204113487533920_n.jpg
  • HowlinAl
    HowlinAl Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Are there any healthy alternatives for chocolate and salt cravings that you personally prefer? Also, how do you work on curving cravings? I get them bad when Mother Nature is approaching.

My appetite goes up at that TOM, so I eat at maintenance for a few days. I do have small amounts of high quality chocolate pretty much every day, because I like it, not because I've been craving it.

Ok, I'm fascinated by this chart and wondering if it's for real or yet another pseudoscience thing. What studies or research etc supports this? The chart lists a source of Coaching & Weight Management... Huh? That is meaningless to me. Thanks!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    HowlinAl wrote: »

Ok, I'm fascinated by this chart and wondering if it's for real or yet another pseudoscience thing. What studies or research etc supports this? The chart lists a source of Coaching & Weight Management... Huh? That is meaningless to me. Thanks!

Here, try this: http://www.medicaldaily.com/eat-not-5-healthier-substitutes-unhealthy-food-cravings-294438

Or this, which has studies in the footnotes: http://www.diabeteslibrary.org/View.aspx?url=Article819
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    HowlinAl wrote: »

Here, try this: http://www.medicaldaily.com/eat-not-5-healthier-substitutes-unhealthy-food-cravings-294438

Or this, which has studies in the footnotes: http://www.diabeteslibrary.org/View.aspx?url=Article819

I suggest it's pseudoscience-y as the references are not all peer reviewed - book chapters rarely are. But, I don't believe the information is mal-intended and can be helpful, perhaps. To the best of my knowledge, nutritional deficits that lead to odd eating behaviour is mostly established in animal studies. I am much more appreciative of KShama's observations of cravings when missing sleep, low protein and getting too hungry. I also suspect that my cravings arise when I've not had quite enough water for a few days.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I make space in my daily calories for whatever it is I'm craving. There's no need to avoid them. Balance everything out. :flowerforyou: