Your experiences with tendonitis/tendinopathy

Options
tomatoey
tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
I am just wondering how long it's taken folks to heal, with which treatments. Especially folks over 35.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    4 or 5 months for me. It's a long process.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Tendinitis is common among military members, golf elbow, bicep, and patella in particular. Most, including me, recommend the R.I.C.E. protocol (Rest, ice, compression, and elevation) along with taking NSAIDs (non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs) such as Ibuprofen (500-800mg every 4-6 hours never to exceed 7,000mg in a 24 hour period). Typical rest time prescribed is two to eight weeks depending on severity. I would advise consulting with a medical professional to insure it is not a tear. Since tendinitis is an overuse injury it is generally contributed to going "too far, too fast". Tendinopathy is an even more general term for tendinitis. Some medical practitioners like the suffix. -pathy more than itis.

But really, if you think you have any injury don't consult the Internet GO TO THE DOCTOR.
  • tomatoey
    edited October 2015
    Options
    armylife wrote: »
    Tendinitis is common among military members, golf elbow, bicep, and patella in particular. Most, including me, recommend the R.I.C.E. protocol (Rest, ice, compression, and elevation) along with taking NSAIDs (non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs) such as Ibuprofen (500-800mg every 4-6 hours never to exceed 7,000mg in a 24 hour period). Typical rest time prescribed is two to eight weeks depending on severity. I would advise consulting with a medical professional to insure it is not a tear. Since tendinitis is an overuse injury it is generally contributed to going "too far, too fast". Tendinopathy is an even more general term for tendinitis. Some medical practitioners like the suffix. -pathy more than itis.

But really, if you think you have any injury don't consult the Internet GO TO THE DOCTOR.

Thanks, @armylife , yes, that's often the quoted healing time, and I'm (all too) familiar with the protocol - but I appreciate your sharing that, some people aren't. I am under the care of a sports med and physio. I've got a number of seriously chronic tendon injuries that haven't healed for 1-3 years, with treatment, and one that did heal (after a year) and came back. I was hoping to hear people's personal experiences (which is why I used "tendonitis", in case that's what some people are more familiar with).

My understanding, on reading some of the newer research, is that only surgery can truly repair the damaged tissue, and only in the case that gross degenerative tears occur.

The hope for the future, afaik, is in biologics/stem cell treatment, with mixed results for prolotherapy seen so far.

Anyway, fixing the tissue is one thing, just wondering where people here have gotten to in terms of function and pain management, after how long, with what.
  • tomatoey
    edited October 2015
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    4 or 5 months for me. It's a long process.

Super long :/ But 4-5 months is pretty good, though!
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Sorry that you have been in treatment for so long. As far as surgery for tendinitis, it would only be recommended if you had inflammation due to a tear. If you physician is saying you have a tear then it will likely be longer heal times than I quoted and that will only truly start post-op. Again I hope you heal quickly.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yep. I know you are dealing with this and all I can say is that tendonitis sucks big time. I've had cortisone shots and PT which have helped me but I still have twinges and try not to re-aggrevate. My neck is not 100%. I just want to say that I am sorry. 1 to 3 years for you, I'm not sure how you are managing this. Wow!!
  • tomatoey
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Aw, thanks, @queenliz99. That's really kind :) Yeah, I guess I don't shut up about it, lol. So far, I've been hopeful things would get better, and have been reading lots to work it out, and trying to exercise around things, but lately I'm thinking, what if these injuries just don't get better? I mean, as far as things that can go wrong for people, it's not the worst thing that could happen. But maybe it's time to accept that this is how things are now. Like that Louis CK bit about his "incurably sh**** ankle". But maybe some people have seen improvements, even with chronic stuff?

I'm glad you've seen improvements, that's great! But sounds like yours is still bothering you, eh? In the neck, even, whoa, how does that happen :/ Must have been painful :( Can you still do most of the things you want to do?

No surgery on the horizon for me, @armylife . Thanks for your thoughts :)
  • aspdenbrae
    aspdenbrae Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My personal experience:

Golfers elbow, last 2 months it's gotten bad so I went to the doc, he confirmed. I've been doing self massage to break up/keep from forming any scar tissue. RICE it after heavy use (mostly the gym) learned to throw with my other hand and im getting quite good lol. Also learned to hold my phone differently. Use NSAIDS when needed but otherwise keep living my life just altered lol.

Hopefully yours starts showing improvement!