Need food ideas for very restrictive diet

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
Because of a medical situation that is too complicated too explain and involves several autoimmune disorders, a serious allergic reaction and medication, I have been put for the next week on a very strict diet. Or rather, I have been given a long list of things to not eat, which does not leave me many things to eat. Anyone can come up with any ideas on how to meal plan for the next week, other than rotating chicken, rice and pasta?

So here is what I cannot eat:
- dairy
- spices
- eggs
- fish
- seafood
- fruits and vegetables with seeds
- anything acidic
- anything containing artifical colouring, artificial flavouring or preservatives
- sugar
- artificial sweeteners
- salt
- fried foods
- saturated fat
- nuts

Any ideas to make this more interesting than chicken with pasta, chicken with rice, chicken with bread?
It is just one week, but I am already getting bored on day 2... And cooking normally for the rest of the family does not help improve my mood :(

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Making some guesses here:
    Sweet potatoes, white potatoes, beans and lentil, turkey, leafy greens, English cucumbers,
    ->Turkey burgers with sweet potato and carrot soup.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Making some guesses here:
    Sweet potatoes, white potatoes, beans and lentil, turkey, leafy greens, English cucumbers,
    ->Turkey burgers with sweet potato and carrot soup.

That's a good idea. I like carrot soup normally. Now it remains to be seen how it works with no spices and salt ... Turkey burgers hopefully will be edible even with no salt.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Ask your healthcare providers for a diet sheet or help from a dietitian.

For example what does "acidic" mean in this context ? I don't think there are any foods with fat in that have zero saturated fat - about a third of the fat in chicken breast is saturated.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

For example what does "acidic" mean in this context ? I don't think there are any foods with fat in that have zero saturated fat - about a third of the fat in chicken breast is saturated.

I second the advise to work with a dietitian. Furthermore, I don't know how much reliable is this chart:
    http://greenopedia.com/alkaline-acid-food-chart/
    but pasta is listed among the highly acidic foods.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

I was kind of thinking the same thing, especially on saturated fats.

OP, you can use ground turkey and chicken. I like to use www.mccormick.com for sore recipe ideas. Beans, legumes, tofu and other vegetarian sources of foods for proteins.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

This ^^

Also, beware of frozen chicken or turkey, as both will likely have added salt. I'm not sure that fresh doesn't also have added salt.

If you have to avoid salt, it might be wise to check the sodium content of foods you eat to make sure you get enough. Sodium is a vital nutrient.
  • dontgiveup2319
    dontgiveup2319 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Because of a medical situation that is too complicated too explain and involves several autoimmune disorders, a serious allergic reaction and medication, I have been put for the next week on a very strict diet. Or rather, I have been given a long list of things to not eat, which does not leave me many things to eat. Anyone can come up with any ideas on how to meal plan for the next week, other than rotating chicken, rice and pasta?

- dairy
    - spices
    - eggs
    - fish
    - seafood
    - anything acidic
    - anything containing artifical colouring, artificial flavouring or preservatives
    - sugar
    - artificial sweeteners
    - salt
    - fried foods
    - saturated fat
    - nuts

Any ideas to make this more interesting than chicken with pasta, chicken with rice, chicken with bread?
    It is just one week, but I am already getting bored on day 2... And cooking normally for the rest of the family does not help improve my mood :(

I understand! I have food allergies I found out about last month and can't eat anything with milk or eggs :(. Plus some fruits and veggies I can't eat either.

You could eat any meat! Can you eat cooked down veggies and fruit? From what I've read I can't eat raw but I can eat it cooked....if its the allergies I would think it'd be ok? Wow, honestly I can't think of much to tell you other than meat.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    bananas (is fruit sugar ok?) boiled chicken breast, ground turkey, white rice, boiled potatoes, unsweetend rice milk (plain rice dream is my favorite when my stomach is being a *kitten*) rice krispies cereal, cooked carrots, canned peas.... maybe some chicken broth? Try to add a little oil (like canola) to your rice and chicken to help you hit your fat macro.

edited to add- I have long term annoying/serious stomach issues. Bland food is your pal. I also recommend seeing a dietitian.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

- dairy
    - spices
    - eggs
    - fish
    - seafood
    - anything acidic
    - sugar
    - artificial sweeteners
    - salt
    - fried foods
    - saturated fat
    - nuts

Wait this is only for a week?! I have had to eat like that for months on end before. You will be okay OP.