why isnt 1700 enough?

Options
Hi Everyone

Im currenty using the TDEE method and have entered my details in under light exercise 1-3 hours a week, different websites says different things so ive kind of gone for the middle number which is 1700 c alories per day i do body combat 4 times a week. im 226lbs and 5ft7. im also 31.

im beginimg to really struggle with this. i cant understand why.. i try and use my calories wisely, somes days a few things get the better of me, but this week ive tried really hard. im sitting here now hungry. i have had a protein bar and a banana, i know this isnt alot i did do over night oats but had no time this morning after getting the kids ready for school.

i have protein pancakes tomorrow for brekky as its my rest day and ill have more time. but its really annoying me being hungry all the time as all i think about is food! :)

Replies

• feelnopain12
    feelnopain12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Your food sources define how hungry you get, for me the issues are usually solved by switching to nutrient dense foods instead of protein powders or protein pancakes etc... replace that stuff with chicken breast and sweet potato and spinach and i guarantee you youll feel less hungry..Condensed protein crap really doesnt work interms of solving hunger for me anyway. Everyone struggles with eating habbits and just remember always get back to it after a cheat :persevere: As much as you might hate (well i do anyway) eating salads etc they do actually solve the hunger issue pretty well.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Well, for starters I'm not sure which calculators you used by I entered your info with 42% BF(Body fat) and your BMR is 1808. So, maybe your calculations are off. . . .by quite a bit. So, first figure out your BMR and than calculate your TDEE. I think you'll find your TDEE is closer to 2300 + calories.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    thats right and if im working off 25% fat reduction i think it comes out as about 1800 - the other 1 i used came out at something like 1600 - which is why i chose in the middle- do you think i should try at 1800 calories and see what that does?
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    thats right and if im working off 25% fat reduction i think it comes out as about 1800 - the other 1 i used came out at something like 1600 - which is why i chose in the middle- do you think i should try at 1800 calories and see what that does?

Okay, so the numbers you list above seem better(meaning more accurate). . . .now the '25% fat reduction' - - - > it is too early east coast time for me to find the TDEE less (%) to lose link but at most you ought to aim for TDEE less 20% until you move within a weight range (BMI) on the higher end of acceptable for your gender and height, then you move toward your BW(body weight) goal at TDEE less 10%.

The fat reduction when you eat so far below TDEE means you may or will eventually start losing muscle or LBM(lean body mass) and you want to maintain this as much as possible. You are on the right path so your reasoning is fairly good just remember too fast leads to regression. NOTE: It is very sad I used regression prior to 6AM EST US.. . . . . .ugh.

Best of luck, continue on your path just be aware not to create too much of deficit too quickly and. . . . .congrats on the weight loss. . .well done.

• leahcollett1
    Options
    thank you for them words - yea your right.. i always try to aim for 2lbs a week but im finding it extremeley hard at the minute esepcially on days i get up at 6am to do les mill body combat. in result, ive scoffed my "lunch" already.. which was oats and yogurt i know, not the best nutrional lunch but i was going to have it for brekky then time ran out so i grabbed a protein bar - i have got tuna in the fridge here at work so i can use that if im hungry again at lunch. its very scary upping your calories when use to a big deficit, some people would love to be on 1700 calories a day i just cant believe its not cutting it for me.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    maybe 1lb a week loss would be enough then, you get to eat more but you'll still get results....
    you are fairly tall so you are going to need more calories than someone smaller.
    If you're hungry, eat more, your body must need more.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    thank you for them words - yea your right.. i always try to aim for 2lbs a week but im finding it extremeley hard at the minute esepcially on days i get up at 6am to do les mill body combat. in result, ive scoffed my "lunch" already.. which was oats and yogurt i know, not the best nutrional lunch but i was going to have it for brekky then time ran out so i grabbed a protein bar - i have got tuna in the fridge here at work so i can use that if im hungry again at lunch. its very scary upping your calories when use to a big deficit, some people would love to be on 1700 calories a day i just cant believe its not cutting it for me.

Try to think of it like keeping wood on the fire. I'd rather heat my house in winter with a good fire than a few candles. Continue onward....

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

Try to think of it like keeping wood on the fire. I'd rather heat my house in winter with a good fire than a few candles. Continue onward....

This!!!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I don't know that a protein bar and a banana are using your calories wisely if you're trying to keep from getting hungry on 1700.

Chicken breast, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. would probably keep you fuller, longer. That's what I did when I was at 1700.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Is it a new thing? If so, it might just be PMS if your period is due soon.

Otherwise, increase your protein and fat. Start tracking fiber. Eat more veggies and less sweets (some days you have 500 calories of sweets. Of course you're going to be hungry).
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are usually pretty high in sugar and not high enough in protein in my opinion. I keep hard-boiled eggs and pre-cooked chicken sausage in the fridge for a quick breakfast.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I agree that you could try more volume of foods that are less calorie dense. If time is an issue, you could prepare over the weekend. Sometimes I cook eggs and tons of veggies with some cheese and meat in a casserole. Then I portion out and freeze.

Some other things I've tried were nontraditional breakfast foods: chicken stir fry with lots of veggies, salad with chicken and lots of veggies, etc.

I now skip an early meal and just drink coffee. I'll eat a mid morning snack around 10 of a protein shake and a spoonful of peanut butter.

You just need to experiment to find what keeps you feeling satiated.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Hi Leigh :]

I've just had a sneaky peek at your food diary.

Traditionally (although I've only seen a few entries so correct me if I'm wrong) you are starting your days with small breakfasts and small lunches - your dinners are pretty balanced but a lot of calories are then used on desserts. What I'd suggest is having larger breakfasts and lunches, easing the desserts a little. You'll probably find yourself feeling a lot fuller throughout the day with more food being incorporated.

I usually have weighed cereal or granola and yoghurt with a bagel or butter scone and a banana for my breakfast.My breakfasts can add up to around 400+ calories. This keeps me content until lunch so I never need to snack at all. My lunches are usually around 500 ish and my dinners around 600. If I have anything remaining, I'll probably add in a sneaky chocolate bar or something - otherwise I'm pretty fulfilled on 1500 a day.

I think 1700 is a really decent amount (My maintenance is about 1800!) but it's more about choosing the correct foods that will keep you fuller for longer. Oreo cheesecake sounds amazing but nutritionally - it's not the best of choices to be choosing to keep you fueled ;)
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    the oreo cheesecake is a slimming world recipe - its quark fat free soft cheese and 1 oreo crushed - so it wasnt shop brought or anything, but yes thats a good idea ill take on board what you said thanks hun
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Your food choices sound very calorie dense. Even bananas are up there compared to most fruits. Granola/protein bars may pack some nutrients, but when every bite is 25 calories, and up could be eating a whole cup of veggies for 25 calories, is it worth it?
  • JenniferLynn50
    JenniferLynn50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comment about nutrient dense foods. You may want to decrease foods that spike insulin levels too. I gave up sugar and refined grains. I even gave up wheat bread because I've read numerous times that it burns just as quickly as white. I switched to only real whole grains. I started eating free range meat, fat included, full fat butter, milk, etc., a bit of fruit, and vegetables. I lost 50 pounds this way. I only eat 1400 calories a day (I"m 5'3") but I'm always full now and I only need to eat three times a day. The cravings are gone too. (Of course I've given up all grains now because my body doesn't get along well with them.)
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hi I think you need less carb and more fat protein in morning and afternoon. Utilize your calories better bc 1700 should be enough to be full on but with wright lifting I think you get more hungry so protein snacks like yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, pb etc would be good. Actual protein and not the kind from a bar or mix is going to be more satisfying from what I know.

here are some things you can make like on workout day have: smoothie with yogurt coconut milk a banana pb 1tbsp and kale then after workout have a egg white vreakfast burrito with salsa and some ground turkey 1tbsp snackhave a half cup cottage cheese (cottage cheese us very filling btw) wuth half avacado and 1 tbsp of salsa and cheese shreds for lunchhave 4 oz chicken breast strips 2 c mixed salad pm snack have pb with celery dinner gave4 oz salmon with 1 cup brbroccoli.

Side note you can add a half cup oats to your smoothie and a eaw egg for more protein and a carb.

this should keep you full all day. And drink plenty of water
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I find that when I eat a lot of carbs I crave more carbs. Try to eat more protein for breakfast (hard boiled eggs are easy to eat on the go and are only ~90 calories each). Drinking water, coffee/tea (without cream/sugar if possible) are a good way to keep your hands/mouth/stomach busy to avoid the hunger pangs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Your food sources define how hungry you get, for me the issues are usually solved by switching to nutrient dense foods instead of protein powders or protein pancakes etc... replace that stuff with chicken breast and sweet potato and spinach and i guarantee you youll feel less hungry..Condensed protein crap really doesnt work interms of solving hunger for me anyway. Everyone struggles with eating habbits and just remember always get back to it after a cheat :persevere: As much as you might hate (well i do anyway) eating salads etc they do actually solve the hunger issue pretty well.
    I don't know that a protein bar and a banana are using your calories wisely if you're trying to keep from getting hungry on 1700.

Chicken breast, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. would probably keep you fuller, longer. That's what I did when I was at 1700.

Another vote for more meat. Or eggs.
    mitch16 wrote: »
    I find that when I eat a lot of carbs I crave more carbs. Try to eat more protein for breakfast (hard boiled eggs are easy to eat on the go and are only ~90 calories each).

• MariliaPa
    MariliaPa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hey! So some great advice has been given here- I'd agree with eating high volume/low cals foods & try to spread your intake throughout the day.

And yes to eggs - they are great at keeping hunger at bay.
    And yes to water & caffeine - they both really help with hunger.

Personally, I find that I tend to overeat at night when I'm at home, in front of the TV and I might be tired or bored.
    Maybe this is happening to you too?
    Are you really hungry or are you just tired/bored?
    If you are tired, then it's better to rest or sleep.
    If you are bored then maybe try reading a book or doing a home cardio video?

Dieting is not fun I'm afraid.