Side Stitch constantly ruining work-out

Options
Hi every one :]

I work-out 4 times a week (a session will consist of 25 minute cardio and 20 minute's weight training - I will always start with the cardio) and have been serious about exercise for around 6 months now.

For the past few weeks whenever I am treadmill running for my cardio, I encounter awful right hand side stitches that cause me to 'slow it down' to try and get rid of it. I've tried breathing as recommended, I've tried perfecting my posture and relaxing my shoulders but still I get these horrible stitches about 10 minutes into the run. I never used to have this problem so I'm confused as to why it's started happening every single time but it's really starting to have an impact on my work-out's. I love cardio, I love how I feel afterwards - but haven't been able to take advantage of that awesome feeling since I'm constantly having to slow it down to 'walk it out'. This only happens with the treadmill - and this happens to be one of my favorite machines.

Has anyone else had experience with this or know how I can overcome it?

Thank you :)

Replies

• Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Maybe as you've become fitter you are rushing the start of the cardio? So rather than walking for a bit, speeding up to a run, are you launching straight in? I think that could be one explanation which would explain why it happens now and didn't before. I believe a stitch can be caused by insufficient warm-up.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    Maybe as you've become fitter you are rushing the start of the cardio? So rather than walking for a bit, speeding up to a run, are you launching straight in? I think that could be one explanation which would explain why it happens now and didn't before. I believe a stitch can be caused by insufficient warm-up.

I am guilty of not properly warming up because I am impatient to get on with it and start running. I allow myself 1 minute of a brisk paced walk before I introduce the running - perhaps I should allow myself at least 3 or 4 minutes, do you think?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    It could be caused by timing of food, or being either dehydrated or TOO hydrated... lol
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »

I am guilty of not properly warming up because I am impatient to get on with it and start running. I allow myself 1 minute of a brisk paced walk before I introduce the running - perhaps I should allow myself at least 3 or 4 minutes, do you think?

Improper warm up is a recipe for pain. We MUST properly warm up AND cool down. Failure to do either will cause pain, unnecessary, counter productive, failure inducing pain. Walk briskly for 5 minutes before any run. Walk to cool down after your run and stretch for longer than you might think necessary. No one ever died from strecthing too much after a run.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    It could be caused by timing of food, or being either dehydrated or TOO hydrated... lol

The problem as you rightly allude to is there isn't really a consensus on what causes a side stitch and therefore what can be done to alleviate it.

OP,

you may find this article of interest:

Side Stitches
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Well I never do a 5 min warm up either I'm too impatient! Even 2 mins seems too much walking but it does help :smile: But I think from your reply @PinkPixiexox it's probably down to rushing, try to do another minute or two, see how it goes x
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions - I will definitely take the time to warm up and cool down from now on.

@msf74 thank you for the article - very useful and I will definitely be taking some tips from it.

Fingers crossed tonights run is a little more successful.
  • SuzLink
    SuzLink Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    *following* I have had the exact same problem the last 5 or so times I have jogged on the treadmill, but I've just slowed down & tried to jog through it.....
  • tkfunkyfrogg
    tkfunkyfrogg Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Dehydration, improper warm up, and increasing speed too quickly in your training are all culprits. I had that problem so stopped rushing my warm ups for sure. I also switched weight training with cardio (a personal trainer friend suggested this). So I warm up, lift, then finish with cardio. I'm able to lift heavier now because I'm not so tired from all the cardio! I can also run for longer and faster (went from 13 minute miles to 10 min per mile). Something to consider.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    This occurs with me on long runs. Try breathing out as your left foot is hitting the ground/treadmill. Concentrate on matching the timing of your footfall so that you're pushing the breath out as that left foot makes contact. After a few breaths, the stitch should start loosening up. Keep doing it until you are comfortable.

I'm not sure if it's the mental concentration or a physiological thing, but this process works for me every time. I picked it up from a running article somewhere and was surprised to find out that it actually works (at least for me).
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    To ease my stitches I have to focus on exhaling fully - so whilst breathing out, I imagine steadily pushing all of the air out of my lungs over the course of a few seconds, then breathing in calmly and deeply. A few rounds of this and it's usually gone and doesn't recur.

Dehydration and eating too close to the start of a run seem to make it more likely to happen too.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    someone told me once to change your pace. either slow down or speed up. i found this to be effective.