would you consider liposuction?

Options

Replies

• 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I am going to need loose skin surgery unless a miracle happens. At my age I doubt that miracle will happen. I assume some lipo will be done at the same time. I consider it medical, not cosmetic as do my doctors.

I do not see a problem ethically. Your money, business. It's up to you how you spend it. Not making a donation doesn't mean a person is unethical.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There's skin removal surgery available under insurance where I live, for people who have undertaken extreme weight loss. The hanging skin can be a problem. I've considered the pros and cons and so far I'm not interested. Here's some of the things I considered.
    • As a weight loss technique it's mighty disappointing. Perhaps a few pounds of skin and fat. That's it.
    • A fairly large surface area is injured (surgically altered) which means a significant recovery period. For many procedures, it involves wearing a compression garment for a couple months.
    • There will be scar tissue, which may or may not heal smoothly. There will be lumps and bumps when it is all over.

Now, I've heard testimonials from post-bariatric patients who went on to have their excess skin removed, and they have all expressed their satisfaction. Call me a weenie. I don't want to face months of recovery for a particular look. But then again, call me a grandma. Grandmas are admired for their warm, squishy laps.

@hamlet1222 , if you are close to goal and you've got one stubborn spot, you may add the pros and cons and it totally works for you. Different aspirations, different pain thresholds. Go for it.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I would consider it if after all my hard work it still doesn't go away. I have an area on my leg that is very lumpy and if that doesn't smooth out after everything is done id consider it and the area on my abdomen if that doesn't go I would.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    No.

I'd use the money to buy a new bike.

Then I'd have a great body AND a new bike.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Lipo by itself won't give the dramatic results that a tummy tuck with lipo will so I'd say if you're gonna do it, go for the gold.
  • vaguelyvegan
    vaguelyvegan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    No. After all, I'm living on the inside of my body and don't have to look at myself for more than a few minutes a day. None of us is perfect, and if the people in my life are making judgments about my appearance, they're too well mannered to share them.

What matters to me is good health. Good health, a bit of personal style, and self-respect. That's what's sexy to me.
  • Stacescotty
    Stacescotty Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    From what I've read lipo only works if you're within 25lbs of your 'ideal' weight and isn't effective as a weight loss tool. That said I have a few small spots I would mind having lipoed away! :)
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I'll probably go for skin removal and from what I've heard lipo is done in conjunction with that. Lipo on its own? Probably not, but I'm not ruling it out.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    No..never...but that's for me...I know people who have done it and have no regrets xo
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I had to go look this up, because I vaguely remembered hearing that there was a study that the lipo'ed fat eventually came back:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110509122730.htm
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If I had a ton of money, sure.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Nah, but then I haven't had kids yet. I"ll see then, heh...
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I had laser lipo ( the lipo you are awake for with minimal recovery time) back when I was a size 6. I was not happy with the results, I didn't see much change and now I'm back up to a size 14 so $5,000 wasted. So no, I don't think I'd do it again.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I watched a video on how they do it and immediately noped out - not that it was high on my list of good ideas in the first place.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no, bc of this
    I had to go look this up, because I vaguely remembered hearing that there was a study that the lipo'ed fat eventually came back:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110509122730.htm
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    No, but I would consider other cosmetic surgeries. I've only lost 57 lbs so far, but things are already sagging that shouldn't be. :(
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    The thought of it (of any surgery, even life saving) totally grosses me out! Ugh.. kind of feel nauseous now. Obviously I'd suck it up for life saving (I assume I'd be unconscious and someone else would make the decision) but I couldn't handle plastic surgery. If I could I'd consider a breast lift. Except that I'd rather have saggy boobs than scars.
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Liposuction is not for weight loss. It is to reshape the contours of your body. I had it on my hips and thighs about 20 years ago and am glad I did. I had huge saddlebags - fat accumulated on my outter thighs and hips, so I had square hips and huge thighs. Now my body doesn't store fat in those places. It doesn't mean I can't can weight. I did. A lot! It just went to different places. I have more of an apple shaped body now. I don't regret doing it. You just have to have realistic expectations.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I watched a video on how they do it and immediately noped out - not that it was high on my list of good ideas in the first place.

I've seen a video too....looks awful.

But, I've been "thin" a couple times....well except for my thunder thighs. If I can accept that never wearing shorts in public is my reality and if I can maintain my weight loss knowing that I don't look good (just better).....then no lipo for me.

I've never been able to maintain......maybe lipo would give me some incentive. I'm such a chicken.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I consider it often and have for years. But my husband is dead set against it, and ultimately, as much as I'd like to get a little fat off my thighs, there is always the risk that comes with any medical procedure. And that would such a silly reason to die. So, yeah I'd consider it. But I wouldn't do it.