Predatory Weight Loss Company

Options
2»

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I saw this story. It was absolutely appalling. To trick people into signing an agreement that actually states they can't follow up their experience with the product with any type of negative review due to a non-disclosure agreement? Any judge worth his or her salt should throw this entire lawsuit right out the window, and the clients should have the right to countersue for emotional damages. Not only did the hooey product not work, but the company followed up their crap product with a nice kick in the pants.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting, I'll bet all MLM scams do this. Some of the posts I have seen point to this with their blind faith. It's ridiculous.

I agree . Mlm is the lowest form of pond scum. They spend tons having negative reviews removed . they also sell these uneducated ignorant people a false hope and make millions from it. Their products are low quality junk . the only ones who give the products good reviews are the ones profiting from it ( coaches ) .

That's silly. Isn't Beachbody an MLM? Lots of people like their workouts. I love the one I have. And a lot of companies of all types remove negative reviews, and even more add false positive reviews.

Too bad the workouts aren't the part of the MLM that they're basing their sales on.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting, I'll bet all MLM scams do this. Some of the posts I have seen point to this with their blind faith. It's ridiculous.

I agree . Mlm is the lowest form of pond scum. They spend tons having negative reviews removed . they also sell these uneducated ignorant people a false hope and make millions from it. Their products are low quality junk . the only ones who give the products good reviews are the ones profiting from it ( coaches ) .

That's silly. Isn't Beachbody an MLM? Lots of people like their workouts. I love the one I have. And a lot of companies of all types remove negative reviews, and even more add false positive reviews.

Too bad the workouts aren't the part of the MLM that they're basing their sales on.

I'm not sure what that means. The workouts aren't free.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

I'm not sure what that means. The workouts aren't free.

It's just an add-on.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Companies asking to own reviews is actually a growing trend in consumer issues.
    I've heard of it including things as odd as dentists putting in the new patient paper work that the dentist owns the rights to any reviews of their service.

It goes hand and hand with the rise of consumer reviewing sites like Yelp - which Yelp also has its own fraud problems: there are stories of Yelp promoting negative reviews that seem to stop being at the top once a company signs up for Yelp promotion packages. There have been a few states arguing about implementing a consumer rights to review act - I think CA might have actually passed one.
    I found it surprising that such laws were actually ones some legislatures wanted to argue against. I got say, it takes some real brass to stand up and say, "no, I don't think my constituents want to be protected against being sued for telling the truth about companies. I think there is real value for people in letting companies demand they own any reviews of their service."
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I've heard of it including things as odd as dentists putting in the new patient paper work that the dentist owns the rights to any reviews of their service.

It goes hand and hand with the rise of consumer reviewing sites like Yelp - which Yelp also has its own fraud problems: there are stories of Yelp promoting negative reviews that seem to stop being at the top once a company signs up for Yelp promotion packages. There have been a few states arguing about implementing a consumer rights to review act - I think CA might have actually passed one.
    I found it surprising that such laws were actually ones some legislatures wanted to argue against. I got say, it takes some real brass to stand up and say, "no, I don't think my constituents want to be protected against being sued for telling the truth about companies. I think there is real value for people in letting companies demand they own any reviews of their service."
    Maybe they thought it should be left as a matter for standard contract law -- contracts of adhesion and whatnot -- rather than adding even more laws to the tens of thousands already in place.

It could be view similarly to "texting while driving" and all the other "while driving" stuff that gets created because people want to do something. We already have reckless driving laws.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    So for what they offer at $480 for a 4 month supple, you can get online for about $11.95. Basically does the same thing.
    This is another example of why there should be no DSHEA. Unless it's reported, and it does take a significant amount of reports to the FDA for them to do anything, people get scammed by the exaggerated claims of many supplement companies.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    And this folks is why I think the FDA should be able to check supplements. I've heard of hotels doing this too, but honestly, did they really think this was going to work?

I agree. MLMs are terrible. No better that pyramid schemes that you with people's health.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the outing of "Ubervita" the company on Amazon which was making a TON (over 1,700) fake reviews.

diet-pills-scam-allegations-the-case-of-ubervita-1104092-TwoByOne.jpg

They were sending things like the above to people. Essentially, you go on Amazon and write them a 5 star review and then they will send you a bottle for free. Once you receive your first free bottle then they continue to charge you monthly. If you wrote a negative review they would sue you because part of "receiving the first bottle free" was promising to not write anything negative about the product or the company.

The owner of the company also owned several other companies that he would send these promotions through so that the main company selling the product was not liable for any side-effects/legal problems.

Needless to say, if it sounds too good to be true, it is! And don't trust reviews if they seem too good to be true either.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

My previous dentist's office did this!!! I refused to sign the page and they still provided me service. I also came in with my own version of a HIPAA because i didn't like the fact that they wanted to be able to share my information. Thank god I have worked as a paralegal for 5 years or I wouldn't have known any better.